how bad? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on how bad? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; im sure its not as weak as my wrx transmission LOL...maybe im wrong...

im sure its not as weak as my wrx transmission LOL...maybe im wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The five speed transmissions in the Evo are FAR from a weak point. The transfer case is a bit weaker, but that's hit or miss and far less of a problem on the ACD equipped Evos.

Many of the fastest Evos are still on stock geared trannies with work done to them to better help them shift at 9K.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
    Tuning is everything, especially on a FI car. That's why it's so impressive.

What's not impressive is the glass transmission that also comes stock with Evos.

so in what area besides interior is an STI superior? im talking about pre 08 sti and evo x

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    I don't consider cams bolt ons. Bolt on to me is easy stuff you don't have to open up the engine to do. ie, intake, exhaust, tune.
    Cams are about as much of a bolt on as turbo's are.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Cams are about as much of a bolt on as turbo's are.
    Parts that are designed to simply be bolted on with hand tools, without any other major effort or modifications.

Dictionary

I just looked it up. That's kinda always how I felt. Cams are far more involved then bolting on an exhaust or intake. To me it's an easy job since I know what I'm doing and have the right tools. But bolt ons for me is something easy and not to in depth, kinda like something that an average joe can do without that much knowledge. I do see both sides though. But either way without cames the evo 9 will put down around 350 whp. With cams obviously with a tune will be damn near 400. Very impressive.

I Support ClubWRX
    In the end everything is bolted on besides maybe cams in a OHV motor.

I see what your saying...but logic shows just about everything gets bolted on.

And cams on a OHC motor is usually not all that hard.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Parts that are designed to simply be bolted on with hand tools, without any other major effort or modifications.

Dictionary

I just looked it up. That's kinda always how I felt. Cams are far more involved then bolting on an exhaust or intake. To me it's an easy job since I know what I'm doing and have the right tools. But bolt ons for me is something easy and not to in depth, kinda like something that an average joe can do without that much knowledge. I do see both sides though. But either way without cames the evo 9 will put down around 350 whp. With cams obviously with a tune will be damn near 400. Very impressive.
    Cams are easily done with hand tools. The only thing that could possibly go wrong with a cam install by someone who doesn't know what they're doing is that the bolts can be over-torqued. Cams are bolt-ons.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by habitatxskate View Post
    my friend bought an evo8 with everything! i think its an 05? but either way it has a turboback, some type of chip, intake, bov (heard thats like 400 hp right there) and possibly a tune.

when im all said and done w. my 06 wrx it'll be stage 2 full turboback, chip, intake at 93 octane..oh and possibly a protune

will i have a chance?
    Also remember your not even stock .. he has an Evo, your running a WRX. Not the STI. So he already has a jump on you stock, now add in modifications.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cams are easily done with hand tools. The only thing that could possibly go wrong with a cam install by someone who doesn't know what they're doing is that the bolts can be over-torqued. Cams are bolt-ons.
    Maybe it has to do with how much someone has done under the hood...?
    When I got my first WRX, I considered a turbo swap to be major surgery. After doing one, it's now a "bolt-on" mod.

The definition makes sense, though. If you can do it with the average set of tools, it probably qualifies.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

If you can change your exhaust on an Evo you can change your cams.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    In the end everything is bolted on besides maybe cams in a OHV motor.

I see what your saying...but logic shows just about everything gets bolted on.

And cams on a OHC motor is usually not all that hard.
    Like I said, I totally get it and to me it's an easy job to do. Most people would be scared to do a cam job though. Pretty much my whole swap was a bolt on. lol

Just look at it this way. If it takes more of a mechanical background in my mind it's not a bolt on anymore. I'd say probably half if not more of the people on here would not feel comfortable or even know how to do cams on our cars or any car for that matter. That's just where I draw the line. Everyone has their own interpretation though. It gets to be more of an argument when people start saying "stock". haha A lot of people will claim stock if they are using the stock block and so on. Usually comes from the muscle crowd though.

changing cams is no more of a daunting task on an Evo than changing an UP on a Scoob. . . Hell it's probably easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    changing cams is no more of a daunting task on an Evo than changing an UP on a Scoob. . . Hell it's probably easier.
    Right, but to people who love tinkering on cars.

Right, but to people who love tinkering on cars.
    I did it, and I hate working on cars. It just happens that I hate paying shop labor rates more than working on cars. If you can change your oil and follow simple directions you can change your cams on the Evo. The biggest part is just getting ahold of the tensioner tool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.