09 WRX vs G37 AWD - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX vs G37 AWD within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I understand that, but the fact remains its a heavy car and is prone to slow takeoffs from a roll ...

I understand that, but the fact remains its a heavy car and is prone to slow takeoffs from a roll since the car is heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    You'll be hard pressed to find many cars that arent weighting in close to that. The days of cars being Sub 3,000lbs are long gone....let alone sub 3,500lbs.
    I know it's target isn't those small 4 cylinder line up, but we're talking about the WRX whose heritage is about AWD'ing at high speeds. I see many automakers trying to do something that Subaru has been doing (AWD), you can't perfect something that's already perfection - maybe that's just biased me talking.

It's a luxo sports sedan/coupe. It's tarket is not the Miata/Sky/Solstice lineup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GageP View Post
    They did offer the "Skyline" over here ive worked on a few of them. They had the Infiniti body but were badge as a nissan.
    I think you worked on some Infiniti's that had been rebadged. A V35 Skyline 300GT is basically the same as the G35. I lived in the G world for a while, and it was a popular cosmetic mod. To the best of my knowledge, they never shipped any cars badged as Skyline here until the R35 went on sale this year.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Correctamundo!!

Nissan guy here myself 93' sentra, 97' Altima w/ Nissan 7 spoke wheels, 00 Maxima w/ sunroof and 17's, 03' Maxima GLEpimped, 240sx (S14) Stock - I had dreams, 92 SE-R $8k race car SR20DET FTW

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, they never shipped any cars badged as Skyline here until the R35 went on sale this year.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    I understand that, but the fact remains its a heavy car and is prone to slow takeoffs from a roll since the car is heavy.

I know it's target isn't those small 4 cylinder line up, but we're talking about the WRX whose heritage is about AWD'ing at high speeds. I see many automakers trying to do something that Subaru has been doing (AWD), you can't perfect something that's already perfection - maybe that's just biased me talking.
    I'm sure you are being a bit bias because both Audi's Quatrro's and Nissan's Altessa system will/can both give Subaru's Symetrical system a run for their money.

None the less.....Subaru isnt the first nor is it the best AWD system on the market. I personally rank it 2 on my list.

And I have a 3,900 lbs "cross over" vehicle that will give any 02-05 wrx a run for their money from a roll or a dead stop. The WRX isnt a god sent vehicle.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I've driven in an Audi A6 2.7T and A4 1.8T, didnt like how the AWD performed on both cars seem a bit off not to mention the crazy bodyroll on each car, I didn't feel safe or confident in the vehicles.

Now I have NOT been in any AWD Nissans so I can't comment there.

I'm sure you are being a bit bias because both Audi's Quatrro's and Nissan's Altessa system will/can both give Subaru's Symetrical system a run for their money.
    Now after Subaru released the WRX in 2002 in the US, I've read about the car so much and to actually drive one now, to me it definitely lives up to the hype, If you rank Subaru 2nd on your list whose 1st - and I know this is a matter of opinion the way I list Subaru 1st on my list and Audi like 3rd on my list, I actually like how my Uncle's 98' CR-V AWD drives compared to the Audi.

4WD History - Who invented four wheel drive? Which one is the first 4WD car? <-AWD history for your reading pleasure my friend. Seems Porsche started the AWD thing according to this article.

None the less.....Subaru isnt the first nor is it the best AWD system on the market. I personally rank it 2 on my list.

And I have a 3,900 lbs "cross over" vehicle that will give any 02-05 wrx a run for their money from a roll or a dead stop. The WRX isnt a god sent vehicle.

I Support ClubWRX
    The issue is you are picking on the cars for their body roll. Those Audi's are not in the same class as the Subaru WRX handling wise. Body roll has nothing to do with the AWD system.

I personally put Audi on top with their AWD system. In both performance and poor weather conditions.

The CRV system is a joke. It's FWD bias until slip is detected. The system lags behind a good bit and is really poor in slick conditions. I did a lot of research on the system as I was looking into "small SUV's" over the fall season.

Everyone is going to have their preference. Both my WRX and my STI did wonderful in the performance/poor weather conditions with the right tires. I still prefer Audi's system over the others.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    I see many automakers trying to do something that Subaru has been doing (AWD), you can't perfect something that's already perfection -
    Eh, there's some fanboi'ism present here. WRX's are great, the popular metaphor here on the forum is that it's the Swiss Army Knife of cars. Accelerates fairly well, handles fairly well, fairly practical, fairly safe, can get fair mpg's if driven mildly, fairly low cost, etc...not really outstanding out of the box in anything, though some quick mods make a big difference.

"Perfection"? Um, no. Having driven a few German sports cars here and there, it's hardly that, even if you're simply talking about its AWD system. The weight distribution in the car is hardly optimal, and you can feel it when taking low speed corners, "perfect AWD system" or not.

I've also driven an A4 1.8T 5MT in the mountains; I came away with a very different impression. The car felt nothing but solid and grippy to me, a wonderful driving experience. Perhaps something was amiss on the car you drove; worn tires, alignment out, etc.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 12-29-2008 at 10:26 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Eh, there's some fanboi'ism present here. WRX's are great, the popular metaphor here on the forum is that it's the Swiss Army Knife of cars. Accelerates fairly well, handles fairly well, fairly practical, fairly safe, can get fair mpg's if driven mildly, fairly low cost, etc...not really outstanding out of the box in anything, though some quick mods make a big difference.

"Perfection"? Um, no. Having driven a few German sports cars here and there, it's hardly that, even if you're simply talking about its AWD system. The weight distribution in the car is hardly optimal, and you can feel it when taking low speed corners, "perfect AWD system" or not.

I've also driven an A4 1.8T 5MT in the mountains; I came away with a very different impression. The car felt nothing but solid and grippy to me, a wonderful driving experience. Perhaps something was amiss on the car you drove; worn tires, alignment out, etc.
    +1. German engineering at its finest. Having ridden in an R.4 and driven an S4, they are amazing cars. They ARE perfection.
    07 Magnetic Black 350Z | AAM 3" Ti Single Exhaust | AAM Y-Pipe | AAM Test Pipes | AAM n/a Tune | Stance GR+ True Coilovers | SPC Camber Kits | Falken FK452 | Rota P45R |

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sbzenth View Post
    +1. German engineering at its finest. Having ridden in an R.4 and driven an S4, they are amazing cars. They ARE perfection.
    Well, I didn't say THAT.
    I think "perfection" is kind of a silly adjective to attach to cars and women. The only thing that is truly perfect in this world is Donnie's neck.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Like I stated ealier to 302@12psi maybe I am a little biased, but I drive a Subaru and I'll defend it. What I didn't state was for the money you get an awesome car, sorry the german 35k+ cars was not to be had by my budget. So Fanboi'ism i think not, Budgetboi'ism sure.

Eh, there's some fanboi'ism present here.
    Well one other AWD car I drove was a 02' Jaguar X-Type, while it isn't German you'd think its a $50k luxury AWD car would feel more solid and planted on the road and I think my 08' WRX felt more planted and solid to the road, The AWD system on the Jag was awesome but once again not planted.

Perfection in my eyes and is my opinion, what you may feel is cool I may feel is dumb, preference my friend.

Actually the Audi 1.8T I drove just came out of the service dept. I belive it was getting an oil change and long with whatever else the dealers do when you service your car. Seemed to be in tip top shape.

Exactly.

Everyone is going to have their preference.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    Like I stated ealier to 302@12psi maybe I am a little biased, but I drive a Subaru and I'll defend it. What I didn't state was for the money you get an awesome car, sorry the german 35k+ cars was not to be had by my budget. So Fanboi'ism i think not, Budgetboi'ism sure.
    Budget wasn't even in the discussion. You said that the Subaru's system was perfection. That's what I was addressing.

Well one other AWD car I drove was a 02' Jaguar X-Type, while it isn't
    Ack. Say no more. The Jags are a horrible performance value, IMO. When they introduced the X, I was hoping that Jag was going to enter the fray with a viable 3-series contender...not so much.

Perfection in my eyes and is my opinion, what you may feel is cool I may feel is dumb, preference my friend.
    Obviously we're all entitled to our preference, and I'll be the last to take that from you.
    I will say that my standards with regard to handling may be a bit jaded. I've had some seat time in a couple of 911's over the years...I've owned two modified WRX's, and neither comes anywhere close to the handling feel of those cars. So when you start using words like "perfection", with a car that I consider to be "pretty good!", you can understand my reaction.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Agreed

So when you start using words like "perfection", with a car that I consider to be "pretty good!", you can understand my reaction.

favorite awd systems.

the current atessa system in the gtr's
    the current awd system in the new evo x
    audi
    subaru

subaru is lacking hard in there awd technology. even sabb i think now offers "xwd" that differs power from side to side as well as front to rear. which nissan, mistu and audi have done for along time. you can't even get a subaru with a limited slip front and rear. (correct me if i'm wrong) i think the sti gets a front lsd and a open rear while the reg wrx is open front and rear.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Like I said earlier, I driven Audi's and I felt my Subaru was more planted on the road, also drove a X-Type AWD samething, My Subaru felt more planted to the road.

I never driven todays skyline or know much about the AWD system thats on it and same goes for the new evo x, I can only comment on what I've driven and make a comparison off that...I'm pretty sure there are systems out there better then Subaru's but for the sake of this thread I'm comparing to what I've driven and state what I feel about it - ie. my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    favorite awd systems.

the current atessa system in the gtr's
    the current awd system in the new evo x
    audi
    subaru

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast