modded 05 4eat wrx vs stock 03 5eat 350Z
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on modded 05 4eat wrx vs stock 03 5eat 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I picked up my car from PT this past Saturday (they installed the mods in my sig and dyno ...

Arrow modded 05 4eat wrx vs stock 03 5eat 350Z

So,
    I picked up my car from PT this past Saturday (they installed the mods in my sig and dyno tuned the whole setup). On the way home, my wife and I decided to make a few runs, her in her 03 5eat 350Z and me in my 05 4eat WRX.

From a dead stop without launching either car, she had me beat by half a car until my boost kicked in and we went dead even…although she did have some wheel spin.
    On the Parkway from 40mph to 80mph she was able to slowly pull away, until I hit full boost and started edging my way back.

Even though her Z is still slightly faster, I am extremely happy with the job PrecisionTuning did on my car…. I am planning on throwing in an even bigger turbo and upgrading my tranny so it can handle the power I am seeking. That should help me put her Z to rest!
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    Invidia N1 TBE, TurboXS Uppipe, Deadbolt 16G, TurboXS TMIC, DeatschWerks 650cc Injectors, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, GP Intake Elbow, B&M Tran Cooler, Perrin Crank Pulley, Turbosmart Tee Boost Controller, Auto Meter Boost Gauge, Auto Meter Cluster Bezel Pod.
    Mildly Tuned to 235hp & 220tq
    by Precision Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I like to eat 3 times a day, does that make me a 3eat?

I have heard that just upgrading the TC in the 4 eat is a great upgrade.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I like to eat 3 times a day, does that make me a 3eat?

I have heard that just upgrading the TC in the 4 eat is a great upgrade.
    I guess it would make you a 3eat.
    I have heard both good and bad about upgrading the TC...the bad experinces were with indivudlas that had very high stall.
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    Invidia N1 TBE, TurboXS Uppipe, Deadbolt 16G, TurboXS TMIC, DeatschWerks 650cc Injectors, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, GP Intake Elbow, B&M Tran Cooler, Perrin Crank Pulley, Turbosmart Tee Boost Controller, Auto Meter Boost Gauge, Auto Meter Cluster Bezel Pod.
    by Precision Tuning

I wouldn't go bigger if i were you. Daily driving might start to really suck IMO with the stock TC.

You could look into water/meth injection. Properly tuned for I would venture to guess you could see another 20 hp and tq. That outta let you pull decently on the Z.

Around what RPM are you starting to get good boost at in 1st? Im just curious. I'm interested in a turbo swap myself eventually.

Congrats on the new found power!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    I wouldn't go bigger if i were you. Daily driving might start to really suck IMO with the stock TC.

You could look into water/meth injection. Properly tuned for I would venture to guess you could see another 20 hp and tq. That outta let you pull decently on the Z.

Around what RPM are you starting to get good boost at in 1st? Im just curious. I'm interested in a turbo swap myself eventually.

Congrats on the new found power!
    Thanks for the info man......You wouldn't even recommend an 18G?

I would def stay with the TD05H housing, since this allows for a faster spool but might go as high as 18 or 20…..I’ll see what Rich at PT recommends.

Anyway, with the 16G I notice boost kicking in between 3200 and 3500. I was surprised at how fast it kicks in considering I wasn’t getting boost until around 3300 on the stock turbo….and it was minimal at that.
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    by Precision Tuning

Well moving to an 18G would probably add 500RPM of spool time. Its all really what you care to deal with. If you don't mind being really slow off the line, then maybe 18G would be good for you.

When you say you notice the boost kicking in, do you mean it has reached full boost at that point, or that its where its starting to make good power? (how many psi?) I'm seriously contemplating a standard PnP'd 16G if i can make good power by that RPM.

Have you tried brake stalling it yet? Can you build any boost?

Keep in mind your driving style needs to change so that your transmission will live longer. For example, from a dead stop, going WOT and letting the tranny click through the gears is no biggie. The amount of torque being made at redline is not that much for your clutches to catch, but lets say your cruising at 50 mph, and you go WOT. The transmission will shift from 4th to 2nd and those clutch packs will have to catch all the torque your gonna be making at like 4,000 RPM (full boost). This does not make transmissions happy. You'd be better off manually selecting 2nd while off throttle, and then go WOT.

Sorry for the long post. You have your dyno sheet? You should post it up for general info.

Well moving to an 18G would probably add 500RPM of spool time. Its all really what you care to deal with. If you don't mind being really slow off the line, then maybe 18G would be good for you.

When you say you notice the boost kicking in, do you mean it has reached full boost at that point, or that its where its starting to make good power? (how many psi?) I'm seriously contemplating a standard PnP'd 16G if i can make good power by that RPM.

Have you tried brake stalling it yet? Can you build any boost?

Keep in mind your driving style needs to change so that your transmission will live longer. For example, from a dead stop, going WOT and letting the tranny click through the gears is no biggie. The amount of torque being made at redline is not that much for your clutches to catch, but lets say your cruising at 50 mph, and you go WOT. The transmission will shift from 4th to 2nd and those clutch packs will have to catch all the torque your gonna be making at like 4,000 RPM (full boost). This does not make transmissions happy. You'd be better off manually selecting 2nd while off throttle, and then go WOT.

Sorry for the long post. You have your dyno sheet? You should post it up for general info.
    Sorry man, what I should have said instead of "kicking in" was starting to make good power. It definitely whips you into your seat at that rpm! If I'm not mistaken, I'm at 18psi....although I haven't really looked at the boost gauge...I'll go mess around later tonight and post what psi I hit in those rpms.

I haven't tried break stalling yet, but the guys at PT did tell me that I should be able to build good boost if I were to break stall...they also warned me about how bad it is for my tranny.

Man, I had no idea it was actually safer to go WOT from a dead stop than while cursing!! Should manually selecting 2nd and then going WOT make me a little faster?

As per your request, my dyno sheet is at the bottom of the page. Keep in mind that the "*BOOST" reading is inaccurate here...Rich (the owner of PT) said it was broken and they just use it as a point of reference or something like that.

My dyno sheet
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    by Precision Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by 4eat_Newbie View Post
    Sorry man, what I should have said instead of "kicking in" was starting to make good power. It definitely whips you into your seat at that rpm! If I'm not mistaken, I'm at 18psi....although I haven't really looked at the boost gauge...I'll go mess around later tonight and post what psi I hit in those rpms.

I haven't tried break stalling yet, but the guys at PT did tell me that I should be able to build good boost if I were to break stall...they also warned me about how bad it is for my tranny.

Man, I had no idea it was actually safer to go WOT from a dead stop than while cursing!! Should manually selecting 2nd and then going WOT make me a little faster?

As per your request, my dyno sheet is at the bottom of the page. Keep in mind that the "*BOOST" reading is inaccurate here...Rich (the owner of PT) said it was broken and they just use it as a point of reference or something like that.

My dyno sheet
    Thanks for posting that up! Yes brake stalling is hard on the tranny. I think in the time i've had mine, i've only brake stalled it maybe 10 times, and then only for two or three seconds at most.

Manually selecting 2nd while cruising will not make you any faster per say, but throttle response will be better and there won't be as much stress on your transmission.

When you do decide you want to be in 2nd, try and blip the throttle a little to help rev match. Like for example if you wanted to race from a 50mph roll, put in neutral, and rev it up to match RPM's with what you would be at in 2nd at that speed, then quickly move the selector to (2). This is usually what i do, but don't take that as gospel. I'm far from the most knowledgeable around these parts.

I do know going WOT while cruising between 40-60mph is HORRIBLE for high powered stock tranny'd 4EATs.....

Thanks for posting that up! Yes brake stalling is hard on the tranny. I think in the time i've had mine, i've only brake stalled it maybe 10 times, and then only for two or three seconds at most.

Manually selecting 2nd while cruising will not make you any faster per say, but throttle response will be better and there won't be as much stress on your transmission.

When you do decide you want to be in 2nd, try and blip the throttle a little to help rev match. Like for example if you wanted to race from a 50mph roll, put in neutral, and rev it up to match RPM's with what you would be at in 2nd at that speed, then quickly move the selector to (2). This is usually what i do, but don't take that as gospel. I'm far from the most knowledgeable around these parts.

I do know going WOT while cruising between 40-60mph is HORRIBLE for high powered stock tranny'd 4EATs.....
    Well, thanks for the advice....I'll be sure to try that next time I'm out
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    by Precision Tuning

how does this dyno compare to a dyno dynamics?
    Ask your tuner what a stock sti puts down?

I think that turbo should be able to run at least 21psi and with that boost you should take the Z. People have run up to 20psi midrange on the stocker and put down close to 230hp so you need to up your boost first before considering a bigger turbo, your snails got more in it.

From another thread (Vendor Review) he told PT he would rather reliability then power, his sig states tuned mildly at 230whp - meaning he could have made more power if reliability wasn't something he cared about.

Not sure what tuned mildy feels like but I know its better then stock

Quote Originally Posted by scoobystas View Post
    I think that turbo should be able to run at least 21psi and with that boost you should take the Z. People have run up to 20psi midrange on the stocker and put down close to 230hp so you need to up your boost first before considering a bigger turbo, your snails got more in it.
    Last edited by spt wrx 2k8; 12-27-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by scoobystas View Post
    how does this dyno compare to a dyno dynamics?
    Ask your tuner what a stock sti puts down?

If STi' are anything like the manual wrx (227hp = 170whp), I guesstimate they put down around 240-250whp.

Also, judging by two encounters I had this week (one with what appeared to be a modded manual 350Z and my wife's stock 03 350Z, see vid here. FYI, the vid is dark and was shot from the Z) I can safely say that Z's cannot hang with me from a role. However, due to major lag, my wife was able to pull ahead about a full car's length from a dead stop (no launching) to 60mph before I hit full boost.

I am strongly considering sticking with the 16G and maybe having it monster ported and ceramic coated by deadbolt, this plus a more aggressive tune should give me the performance I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    From another thread (Vendor Review) he told PT he would rather reliability then power, his sig states tuned mildly at 230whp - meaning he could have made more power if reliability wasn't something he cared about.

Not sure what tuned mildy feels like but I know its better then stock
    Compared to the way this thing ran when stock, a mildly tuned wrx feels and sounds like entirely different car.

By the way, I pulled up next to an Evo yesterday and I guess he got intimidated by the sound of my exhaust cause he refused to give it a go....not that I would have beaten him but I would have at least gotten and idea of much faster they are and how much more I have to go before I can take one on.
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    by Precision Tuning

That's what I'm talkin bout yo LOL!!!

Compared to the way this thing ran when stock, a mildly tuned wrx feels and sounds like entirely different car.

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    That's what I'm talkin bout yo LOL!!!
    Update....My wife's 350Z is DEAD!!!
    Seems she must have broken something during one of our last encounters Sounds like someone's shaking a can of pennies when she puts it in reverse!!! This is both funny and upsetting cause I'm the one who's gonna be paying for the repairs
    05 4eat WRX Sedan
    by Precision Tuning

DEAD altogether or just in reverse? Dang, that REALLY sucks. If y'all was just going for it and both are auto's I wonder what happened to her ride...

Either which way I feel for you, I have only myself to blame if something goes wrong with my car, cause my dad drives mine and he drives it like its a prius LOL

OT: my dad will be gettin an 09' Impreza 2.5i yay! Now my WRX can take a sleep, and I can still enjoy AWD!! wooT wooT!

Update....My wife's 350Z is DEAD!!!
    Seems she must have broken something during one of our last encounters Sounds like someone's shaking a can of pennies when she puts it in reverse!!! This is both funny and upsetting cause I'm the one who's gonna be paying for the repairs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast