1998 2.5 rs vs other subies

This is a discussion on 1998 2.5 rs vs other subies within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was jw what everyone thinks of the 98 2.5 rs. Im looking into buying a new car and i ...

1998 2.5 rs vs other subies

I was jw what everyone thinks of the 98 2.5 rs. Im looking into buying a new car and i really want a subie. I was looking at the 04 wrx and sti's but kindof out of my price range. i was wondering how the 2.5 would stand up against the 04 wrx if I put a turbo in it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakleford View Post
    I was jw what everyone thinks of the 98 2.5 rs. Im looking into buying a new car and i really want a subie. I was looking at the 04 wrx and sti's but kindof out of my price range. i was wondering how the 2.5 would stand up against the 04 wrx if I put a turbo in it.
    It wouldnt.

The car is 10+ years old, the motor will more then likely have high miles, headgaskets are known issues with those cars, the motors do not take to boost all that well, building a powerful NA motor isnt an option.

Save more money or get the RS and be able with a relatively slow NA car. You can do plenty of suspension mods to make it handle well...but without some serious money tied into a swap you wont be fast.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

It would walk a stock 04' wrx. Problem is like 302psi said it won't hold long. You could but a turbo kit for less then the cost of a swap but once you blow your engine and have to buy another one you might as well have done a wrx swap. Try to find any Rs with a good body and no engine or a blown engine. You can get it cheap and take that money you saved and get it swapped. Then you'll have zero problems beating a wrx. Mod for mod you'll always be ahead.

If you shop around you could probably do the engine swap for around 3500 with doing the swap yourself.
    Last edited by 2.0Rs; 12-20-2008 at 11:58 AM.