06 07 sti vs mazdaspeed 3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

This is a discussion on 06 07 sti vs mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 sorry assumed g35x. yes it will transfer up 50% to the front as needed. perfect for ...

  1. #31
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    sorry assumed g35x. yes it will transfer up 50% to the front as needed. perfect for staying sideways in the snow. how's the vq treating you? you can start an off topic thread if you'd like. also g35driver.com has a ex35/45 section. check it out.
    The VQ is doing a fine job. Of course it only has 1,200 miles on it. I'm taking it tomorrow for it's first oil change and then I'll continue to break her in accordingly. So far there is plenty of torque in that bad boy. My FD ratio is a bit lower then the G but the thing will still roll out.

    The build quality overall is "nice". It's not as good as I expected but it's ten folds over Subaru.

    The main thing I dont like about the EX is it does not have the VQ exhaust note.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User indytruckboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    That's why it made the top 10 best lists in car magazines right? drugs are bad.
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I love my Mazdas. Look at the avatar, man. My singer has a 3 and it is nice. But I still it's a fat pig. I mean, I DID say "my $.02".
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

  4. #33
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    The VQ is doing a fine job. Of course it only has 1,200 miles on it. I'm taking it tomorrow for it's first oil change and then I'll continue to break her in accordingly. So far there is plenty of torque in that bad boy. My FD ratio is a bit lower then the G but the thing will still roll out.

    The build quality overall is "nice". It's not as good as I expected but it's ten folds over Subaru.

    The main thing I dont like about the EX is it does not have the VQ exhaust note.
    uncork the midpipe and that will come back. make sure you keep an eye on oil consumption between oil changes. as well as a good eye on the plugs. 05+ vq are known to burn oil and well as leak oil through the valve cover gaskets in the number six spark plug hole. (just had that fixed a month ago on mine) the dealer will take care of it all for free as well as a free loaner but it's a pain to take the time for service.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  5. #34
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  6. #35
    Registered User momo02WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SRQ, FL
    Posts
    107
    The Speed3 is fast and handles good, but I am missing the WRX more & more. I sold my '02 WRX back in June to get an '08 STI. I backed out of the STI because of the price and ended up getting an '08 Speed3 for $12K less. The Speed3 has more driveable power than my modded 02 WRX even in stock form but I'm not so sure its worth it. Now that I started modding my Speed3, its even more of a beast but I'm pretty sure that I'd trade it in on a used '09 WRX if the opportunity came up! I did test drive the STI quite a bit and it didn't feel much faster than the MS3 cruising but I would sure hope it would win in an actual race. I know this thread is about 06-07 sti's but I just figure I'd chime in because I miss these forums.
    02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
    Bugeye Mafia #107

    WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)

    07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD

  7. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    That's why it made the top 10 best lists in car magazines right? drugs are bad.
    A couple of those same car magazines have the STi spanking the Mazda 3 Speed in 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times.

    2007 Mazdaspeed 3 5.4/14.0 (C&D May '07)

    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5.1/13.8
    2006 Subaru WRX STI 4.5/13.0 MT Dec '05)
    2006 Subaru Impreza 22B STi 4.7/13.5 (C&D)

    The '07 WRX looks pretty much even with the Speed 3
    2007 Subaru WRX 2.5L Turbo (Non-STI) 5.3/14.1 (May '07 C&D page 60)

    Mazda has yet come up with any upgrades for the 2009 Speed3 that would challenge even the lowly 2009 WRX @ 4.8/13.5 (MT)
    Last edited by jbrown50; 12-31-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: I can't post links yet because I'm a newbie

  8. #37
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    yes because 0-60 and quarter mile times are all that determine a cars worth to it's owner.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  9. #38
    Registered User fastersti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    yes because 0-60 and quarter mile times are all that determine a cars worth to it's owner.
    not entirely but the performance numbers are a huge reason to buy a car. If a sti outperformed a speed3 in almost every catagory that would influence my decision big time on which one was better.

  10. #39
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,907
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown50 View Post
    Mazda has yet come up with any upgrades for the 2009 Speed3 that would challenge even the lowly 2009 WRX @ 4.8/13.5 (MT)
    IMO, it's waaay overly simplistic to evaluate these cars based their magazine numbers. As has been pointed out numerous times before, the WRX (and STI) get impressive numbers due to their AWD launch.

    I don't sit at stoplights waiting for Mazda's to pull up and rev on me; I drive my car for sheer enjoyment of the experience. What this means is that I want my car to pull hard as I come through and out of a corner, when I'm heading down a freeway onramp, etc. I very rarely do hard launches, because I'd like my tranny to survive for a while.

    So for a guy like me, those fancy numbers are basically invalidated. Depending on model year, the WRX becomes a high 14 second, or even 15 second car. The Mazda is quicker for this kind of use.

    The MS3 is a fine vehicle. I don't want one, because I prefer the feel and control that RWD/AWD cars offer, and well, I've got the Subie bug. But lets not fool ourselves; it's plenty quick and reportedly quite fun to drive. This isn't professional wrestling; we don't have to choose sides and declare other cars/carmakers to be our "enemies". We can respect them, and still be pleased with our choice.

    The bottom line is..go drive the cars that make your list, and see what makes you smile the most. That's all that matters.

    /NewYearsSoapbox
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 01-01-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  11. #40
    Registered User momo02WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SRQ, FL
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    IMO, it's waaay overly simplistic to evaluate these cars based their magazine numbers. As has been pointed out numerous times before, the WRX (and STI) get impressive numbers due to their AWD launch.

    I don't sit at stoplights waiting for Mazda's to pull up and rev on me; I drive my car for sheer enjoyment of the experience. What this means is that I want my car to pull hard as I come through and out of a corner, when I'm heading down a freeway onramp, etc. I very rarely do hard launches, because I'd like my tranny to survive for a while.

    So for a guy like me, those fancy numbers are basically invalidated. Depending on model year, the WRX becomes a high 14 second, or even 15 second car. The Mazda is quicker for this kind of use.

    The MS3 is a fine vehicle. I don't want one, because I prefer the feel and control that RWD/AWD cars offer, and well, I've got the Subie bug. But lets not fool ourselves; it's plenty quick and reportedly quite fun to drive. This isn't professional wrestling; we don't have to choose sides and declare other cars/carmakers to be our "enemies". We can respect them, and still be pleased with our choice.

    The bottom line is..go drive the cars that make your list, and see what makes you smile the most. That's all that matters.

    /NewYearsSoapbox
    Amen .... I should have held on to my Bugeye!
    02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
    Bugeye Mafia #107

    WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)

    07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD

  12. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by momo02WRX View Post
    Amen .... I should have held on to my Bugeye!
    haha, well performance numbers dont mean anything to me which is why i asked. a wrx traps maybe 97 mph, a speed 3 with a intake can trap 102. that tells me that by the time u finish , thespeed is is passing u at about 5 mph, which in my opinion is pullin pretty hard lol.

    which is why i asked from a 45 roll, i know im not gonna see a mazda pull up next to me on a stop light, if im driving anything but a subbie, and a subbie pulls up next to me on a stoplight, i just look foreward and try to ignore it, especially if im with the gf, haha. but on highway, its completely different story, but ive done some research and i test drove my buddies speed3, and it seems that after second gear ends, the mazda pulls a bit harder

  13. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Holy Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown50 View Post
    A couple of those same car magazines have the STi spanking the Mazda 3 Speed in 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times.

    2007 Mazdaspeed 3 5.4/14.0 (C&D May '07)

    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5.1/13.8
    2006 Subaru WRX STI 4.5/13.0 MT Dec '05)

    2006 Subaru Impreza 22B STi 4.7/13.5 (C&D)

    The '07 WRX looks pretty much even with the Speed 3
    2007 Subaru WRX 2.5L Turbo (Non-STI) 5.3/14.1 (May '07 C&D page 60)

    Mazda has yet come up with any upgrades for the 2009 Speed3 that would challenge even the lowly 2009 WRX @ 4.8/13.5 (MT)
    Did Subaru put out something a few years ago that I missed?

  14. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    Did Subaru put out something a few years ago that I missed?

    Car & Driver published test numbers for the 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX 22B STi in 2006.

    The Subaru Impreza WRX 22B STi is one of the rarest and most sought after examples of the Impreza built by Subaru. Officially 400 were made.

    The 22B is often considered the ultimate Impreza, featuring a full WRC style wide arch body, built to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Subaru, the engine is a 2.2ltr, outputting in the region of 350bhp. The rarity of the car has led to it retaining a high proportion of its value. Subaru have yet to make another Subaru that is so close in looks to that of its rally car, although the current range does include a Spec-C, which is very close to the Group N Rally class.
    This is one of my favorite cars.

    from scoobyphotos.com:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22b_953.jpg  

  15. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Holy Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown50 View Post
    Car & Driver published test numbers for the 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX 22B STi in 2006.
    Ok, that make more sense.

  16. #45
    Registered User 05BlackBeauty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    C-Reach Strong Isle
    Posts
    205
    i have a 2005 WRX with a fair amount of bolt ons (check my sig) and my brother has a stage 1+ MS3. I've always wondered how this race would go between us but i'll tell you one thing haveing driven both cars. The MS3 has a great torque band but like everyone has said is limited by the ECU in 1st gear because it has a fairly violent spool up. I never raced him yet but i have gone with a turbo'd 350z from a 30 roll and he only had me by about a car's length (my front bumper to his rear)....very good race for me considering a boosted 2.0 against a boosted 3.5. I would have to say it would be interesting if we eventually square off
    OBP 05 WRX sedan, Big Evo III 16G, STi 565 injectors, HKS S-type FMIC, HKS super mega flow intake, Walbro FP, Helix catted DP, HKS UP, SRS catback and so much more.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •