Highly Modded '02 WRX VS. Stock '08 350z Nismo edition - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

This is a discussion on Highly Modded '02 WRX VS. Stock '08 350z Nismo edition within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Z/WRX I guarntee no stage 2 wrx will touch an 07-08 Z unless the Z driver is ...

  1. #31
    Registered User boardinshorty81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SP Maryland
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    I guarntee no stage 2 wrx will touch an 07-08 Z unless the Z driver is not that great.
    Well I destroyed a 07 350z with my stage 2 07 wrx, so I think you might want to rephrase the "will touch" part. Maybe he is a bad driver, but I took him by numerous lengths, so I think it would have been basically a fair race, so I wouldn't call that not touching, if he were a better driver.

    I know my punctuation sucks you don't have to tell me.
    Last edited by boardinshorty81; 12-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User Gilly Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Dude you said it yourself, you have 390 whp Do you seriously need us to tell you who's going to win between you and a stock car?
    Well I will reiterate that I know nothing about Zs, and I have been suprised in the past by cars with much less WHP performing better than i would have expected. I also hadn't realized until after I posted that the Z's weight was more than my WRX, I guess I had just assumed the coupe car would have less weight

  4. #33
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly Monster View Post
    Well I will reiterate that I know nothing about Zs, and I have been suprised in the past by cars with much less WHP performing better than i would have expected. I also hadn't realized until after I posted that the Z's weight was more than my WRX, I guess I had just assumed the coupe car would have less weight
    It may be a coupe but just looking at it it's obvious it's not a small car or even light car. Both cars to the wheels you're easily putting down 100 whp more. That thing would have to be around 2100 lbs to be able to beat you. I don't know much about Z's either but come one now this is a no brainer.

  5. #34
    Registered User Gilly Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    It may be a coupe but just looking at it it's obvious it's not a small car or even light car. Both cars to the wheels you're easily putting down 100 whp more. That thing would have to be around 2100 lbs to be able to beat you. I don't know much about Z's either but come one now this is a no brainer.
    I'd agree that 100 more WHP would make this a no brainer, but again all I was going off was the vast amount of disinformation that google provided (google 08 350z nismo whp comes up with 310) so added to that the assumption that it weighs less (I have been physically around a real car let alone a Z in 13months now(in Iraq) so size being not something I could judge). I brought the question to the forum, in order to get a somewhat more reliable answer.

  6. #35
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    It may be a coupe but just looking at it it's obvious it's not a small car or even light car.
    +1 It's really not much smaller in pure dimensions than a WRX. Its only about 4 inches shorter but it's wider, has a larger wheel base, and a bigger engine obviously.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 12-14-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  7. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by boardinshorty81 View Post
    Well I destroyed a 07 350z with my stage 2 07 wrx, so I think you might want to rephrase the "will touch" part. Maybe he is a bad driver, but I took him by numerous lengths, so I think it would have been basically a fair race, so I wouldn't call that not touching, if he were a better driver.

    I know my punctuation sucks you don't have to tell me.

    then yes, he is a bad driver. A stage 2 WRX is good for what? Roughly 13.5 in the 1/4 mile. As I previously mentioned a good driver in an 07 350z should be hitting 13.1-13.3. Most average drivers are hitting 13.5-13.6. Your friend is probably a high 13 sec driver in his car. It happens all the time. My friend used to think he was the **** in his SRT-4 dispite me telling him he couldn't launch for ****. Then he went to the track and saw he was only turning high 14's. It wasn't the cars fault, he just sucks at driving a high hp FWD car.

    The fact is yes you beat him. Good for you and your skills. The fact also remains that car vs. car his is faster. Driver vs. driver you are far superior. Maybe he wasn't reving high enough before shifting. Maybe he was too slow in his shifts. Maybe he got a very bad launch. Maybe all the above. Who knows. Did you guys race at the track so that you could compare times or was this on the street? If on the street then it's hard to really say how he performed. Not trying to start anything here, just trying to give credit to where credit is due.

  8. #37
    Registered User EJRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, AL
    Posts
    157
    There is no contest here. I destroy supercharged 350Zs all day long at the track, both drag and road, and I'm 20whp less than you. You racing an N/A 350Z will be a joke, whether it's modded or not.

    Don't give any info about your ride, and then race him for money.
    2004 San Remo WRX - 370whp / 401wtq / EJ205
    2005 Pontiac GTO - 438whp / 470wtq / LS2
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EJRex
    Blobeye Syndicate # 44

  9. #38
    Registered User Gilly Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by EJRex View Post
    There is no contest here. I destroy supercharged 350Zs all day long at the track, both drag and road, and I'm 20whp less than you. You racing an N/A 350Z will be a joke, whether it's modded or not.

    Don't give any info about your ride, and then race him for money.
    A friendly wager maybe in store probably along the lines of the winner buys dinner for the Platoon or something but that will be about it.

  10. #39
    Registered User EJRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, AL
    Posts
    157
    ^ All in good fun then, still get something out of it
    2004 San Remo WRX - 370whp / 401wtq / EJ205
    2005 Pontiac GTO - 438whp / 470wtq / LS2
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EJRex
    Blobeye Syndicate # 44

  11. #40
    Registered User Gilly Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by EJRex View Post
    ^ All in good fun then, still get something out of it
    I completely agree. All in good fun, and hopefully break some of the Joe's misconceptions that subarus are cars for soccer moms.

  12. #41
    Registered User boardinshorty81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SP Maryland
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    then yes, he is a bad driver. A stage 2 WRX is good for what? Roughly 13.5 in the 1/4 mile. As I previously mentioned a good driver in an 07 350z should be hitting 13.1-13.3. Most average drivers are hitting 13.5-13.6. Your friend is probably a high 13 sec driver in his car. It happens all the time. My friend used to think he was the **** in his SRT-4 dispite me telling him he couldn't launch for ****. Then he went to the track and saw he was only turning high 14's. It wasn't the cars fault, he just sucks at driving a high hp FWD car.

    The fact is yes you beat him. Good for you and your skills. The fact also remains that car vs. car his is faster. Driver vs. driver you are far superior. Maybe he wasn't reving high enough before shifting. Maybe he was too slow in his shifts. Maybe he got a very bad launch. Maybe all the above. Who knows. Did you guys race at the track so that you could compare times or was this on the street? If on the street then it's hard to really say how he performed. Not trying to start anything here, just trying to give credit to where credit is due.
    No I completley understand you aren't trying to start anything, I was just giving my input on how I didn't think that there was that big of a difference, when it seems there is.

    He is a pretty bad driver I would say... but it was on the street. I usually don't do that because It can be dangerous, but it was in mid day light on a street where almost no one goes. I will have to take him to the strip and get our times.

  13. #42
    Registered User liljon350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    218
    i dont know if a Z is an extremely hard car to launch or whatever but in my stock 06 wrx i have had some marginal wins over 06+ Z's and g35's....as for this guys question, your 02 should absolutely smoke his Z by a huge margin...just my 2 cents but ive never had a problem with Z's

  14. #43
    Registered User Impreza2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    906

    This just is not fair...

    That Z is going to look rediculous in the cloud of smoke you leave it in. This is not due to the Z being a slow car, it is because you have a World Rally Championship bred car with low curb weight and massive torque to all 4 wheels, poor aerodynamics (read: light weight), and a much more easily used set of controls.

    The Z is going to leave you after 100mph, no matter what. It is designed with high-speed travel on smooth roads. If it is stripped, and a carbon kit is used in every possible location, it gets light rims, etc., it is still never going to have the low end torque to make use of it, and it will be really uncomfortable. As a daily driver, a v6 engine will not take well to a tune, since it will run rougher overall, and be undriveable in traffic. I had a Chrysler 2.7 liter, stage 2 NA, and it made about 250hp. The car would go from 60 to 120 in a few seconds. 0-60, however, was a sad affair. I find my Subaru is all the solution to low end, but I can't expect stable 140mph cruising, and I don't.

    A Z is a Corvette for the Asian market. It is fast when it is moving, looks fast standing still, has a jet fighter ****pit, and makes you cramped to race it. If you are lucky (read: short and skinny), you can make it work for you. Almost all modded Zs have rebuilt interiors, mostly to get visibility out of such a low seating position (I am on NZKW rails and Bride Gias seats, and have a better time seeing the road than any stock Z driver).


    Now... don't let this make you think Nissan doesn't have anything as fast or as purpose-oriented as the STi...

    The Skyline GT-R (pre 370Z) in it's stock form will tear the shorts off of anything in the Subaru lineup. We don't have those around in New England... thank goodness... but they are also in a different liter-liter class (something to add to bets for your car's handicap ).

  15. #44
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    That Z is going to look rediculous in the cloud of smoke you leave it in. This is not due to the Z being a slow car, it is because you have a World Rally Championship bred car with low curb weight and massive torque to all 4 wheels, poor aerodynamics (read: light weight), and a much more easily used set of controls.

    The Z is going to leave you after 100mph, no matter what. It is designed with high-speed travel on smooth roads. If it is stripped, and a carbon kit is used in every possible location, it gets light rims, etc., it is still never going to have the low end torque to make use of it, and it will be really uncomfortable. As a daily driver, a v6 engine will not take well to a tune, since it will run rougher overall, and be undriveable in traffic. I had a Chrysler 2.7 liter, stage 2 NA, and it made about 250hp. The car would go from 60 to 120 in a few seconds. 0-60, however, was a sad affair. I find my Subaru is all the solution to low end, but I can't expect stable 140mph cruising, and I don't.

    A Z is a Corvette for the Asian market. It is fast when it is moving, looks fast standing still, has a jet fighter ****pit, and makes you cramped to race it. If you are lucky (read: short and skinny), you can make it work for you. Almost all modded Zs have rebuilt interiors, mostly to get visibility out of such a low seating position (I am on NZKW rails and Bride Gias seats, and have a better time seeing the road than any stock Z driver).


    Now... don't let this make you think Nissan doesn't have anything as fast or as purpose-oriented as the STi...

    The Skyline GT-R (pre 370Z) in it's stock form will tear the shorts off of anything in the Subaru lineup. We don't have those around in New England... thank goodness... but they are also in a different liter-liter class (something to add to bets for your car's handicap ).

    I'm not arguing with who would win here but there is some poor information here. I don't know where your getting this thing about torque even the least torquey stock 06 Z has more than a the most torquey stock 06-07 WRX. However your are right the WRX does have peak torque at a lower rpm and with stage 2 it's going to get a lot closer plus AWD will help a lot off the line so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there.

    I'd love to see why poor aerodynamics = low weight, or how the wrx's set of controls are so much easier.

    The VQ35 is a decently smooth engine and I've yet to see someone having to take their Z off the road because it was too rough for traffic as you say. The WRX is no know for it's smooth engine either and I would argue that a V6 is generally smoother than 4. However both work perfectly fine in any conditions.

    Also this thing about rebuilding the interior is also false. The inside is small (it's a 2seat car) but I'm 6'3" and fit fine. Some people do change seats etc. yes, but it's more for looks than necessity and I'm positive that vast majority of modded Z's do not have rebuilt interiors.

    You are right that visibility is better in a WRX because its a taller 4 door sedan, that will always have better visibility. A car with even bigger taller windows would have even better visibility that's just the way it works.

    The WRX is the more usable car with AWD and more space and I think the Stage 2 would win. Those are good enough reasons for most people without making up other ones and spreading bad information.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 04-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  16. #45
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not going to qoute it....but two posts up is full of fail.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •