Highly Modded '02 WRX VS. Stock '08 350z Nismo edition - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Highly Modded '02 WRX VS. Stock '08 350z Nismo edition within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Dude you gonna be wasting your time and money in racing... there is no comparison the 350z will get creamed!...

Dude you gonna be wasting your time and money in racing... there is no comparison the 350z will get creamed!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your car will win with all that hp, but I would be more worried about you gears blowing up. You mod list doesent say anything about sti/ppg/mfactory gears. If stock box, I am supprised they have lasted this long. You are on borrowed time my friend
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Registered User boardinshorty81's Avatar
    You should definatly take him. I can take my friend in an 07 z that has test pipes, and a tune. I am only stage 2. He is even rated at higher whp so I am guess he either sucks at driving or that car is slow... I am guessing both.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartG View Post
    I just recently test drove an '09 350Z and it felt like a slow pig. Having recently raced a 350 and an '04 WRX in my mustang I think I can honestly say that a stock WRX could damn near keep up with the Z and one With any substantial mods should have no trouble taking the Z.
    There is no 09 350z. The 09 is the 370z which is not in dealerships yet as far as I know.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Registered User boardinshorty81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    There is no 09 350z. The 09 is the 370z which is not in dealerships yet as far as I know.
    Right you are. I thought they were already on sale though?

I am just guessing, I am not really into the nissan world. Figures... maybe that is why I drive a wrx?

I Support ClubWRX
    Off topic....I really want to test drive one with the auto blip. I'm in no position to get rid of the Infiniti for one....but it seems like an awesome feature. The auto in the EX does this but it's an auto obviously.

Do you have any information on the auto blip? Are the fans of the car unamused with it?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    Your car will win with all that hp, but I would be more worried about you gears blowing up. You mod list doesent say anything about sti/ppg/mfactory gears. If stock box, I am supprised they have lasted this long. You are on borrowed time my friend
    just running STI ra gears right now... but plan on upgrading to a PPG set up next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Off topic....I really want to test drive one with the auto blip. I'm in no position to get rid of the Infiniti for one....but it seems like an awesome feature. The auto in the EX does this but it's an auto obviously.

Do you have any information on the auto blip? Are the fans of the car unamused with it?
    Yeah I want to try it too seems like an interesting feature. It's a good compromise with electronics without going to a paddle shifter manumatic etc. I was a bit skeptical at first but the more I read the more it seems like a good idea.

Most people seem to like the idea, theres already some n00b threads on the Z forum with people asking if they can somehow add the feature to their pre-08.

Also on the subject of transmission and gearing the new Z is keeping the same manual ratios but getting the 3.7 final drive over the previous 3.5 which is probably a good move.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I want to try it too seems like an interesting feature. It's a good compromise with electronics without going to a paddle shifter manumatic etc. I was a bit skeptical at first but the more I read the more it seems like a good idea.

Most people seem to like the idea, theres already some n00b threads on the Z forum with people asking if they can somehow add the feature to their pre-08.

Also on the subject of transmission and gearing the new Z is keeping the same manual ratios but getting the 3.7 final drive over the previous 3.5 which is probably a good move.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the auto blip in my EX as it seems rather delayed. Hopefully in the true manual they have fixed this.

It's a neat move none the less....

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Here's Dan Neil's take on it....a little long but a good read.

The heel-and-toe downshift -- whereby drivers "blip" the gas pedal with the blade of their right foot, revving the engine, while keeping pressure on the brake pedal with the ball of the same foot -- is becoming a lost art, a performance-driving shibboleth known to few and practiced by fewer.

This tap dance allows drivers to match the engine's speed, the rpm, with the rotational speed of the lower gear selected; otherwise, when the clutch is let out, the engine braking effect causes the car to stumble and slow down. If a car is already just hanging on, at the limits of tire adhesion, a badly muffed downshift will take weight off the rear end and cause a spin. As phenomenally brilliant a driver as I am, even I have experienced this a few hundred times.

Once, all drivers understood heel-and-toe. Manual gearboxes were "unsynchronized" and so, if you didn't rev-match the gears, you'd grind them marvelously. You also had to "double clutch," but that's another story. Heel-and-toe was cultural currency and automotive literacy, the stuff of plot points on the old radio cop drama "Calling All Cars." It was to driving what a proper fox trot was to the summer cotillion. Then synchronized manual transmissions became common and automatic transmissions commoner still. Today, only about 15% of the license-holding public knows how to drive a manual-transmission car. I'd estimate that only 1% know their heel from their toe.

Within the last decade or so, ultra-performance street cars with Formula One-style sequential gearboxes have dispensed with the foot-operated clutch altogether (Ferrari, I'm looking at you). During downshifts, the car's computers blip the throttle and electrically actuate the clutch mechanism in hundredths of a second for perfectly smooth, flawless rev-matching the likes of which Fangio could only dream of.

Then came paddle-shifted automatic transmissions that were nearly as efficient as sequential boxes but effortlessly smoother. And then cybernetically controlled dual-clutch gearboxes, such as the ones in the Bugatti Veyron or the new Porsche 911. Not only did fewer drivers need the heel-and-toe technique, there were fewer reasons to learn. Heels and toes were being lost like fingers at an Ozark sawmill.

And now it's time to say the final misty and maudlin words over heel-and-toe. The 2009 Nissan 370Z is the first car to have a computerized rev-matching system -- called, awfully enough, "SynchroRev Match" -- in a conventional, H-pattern manual transmission. Gone now is the secret decoder ring of fast driving, the sacred handshake of the Clutch Brotherhood, the Esperanto of in-car footwork. Sic transit gloria heel-and-toe.

This is the first major overhaul of the Z car since 2003, and Nissan has moved all the needles in the right directions. The car is shorter (by 4 inches), wider, lower and lighter (by 95 pounds), stiffer and more powerful (332 horsepower from the 3.7-liter V-6, up 26 hp from the previous car's 3.5-liter). The base price holds steady at about $30,000 while the full glam of the leather-lined, alloy-wheeled, Bluetoothed Touring package with Sport options comes in around $36,500.

With its cantilevered roof, whiskered catfish mouth, zircon-like headlamps and roped shoulders, the new Z looks like the old car and the Nissan GT-R have been slammed together in the Large Hadron Collider.

This is a righteous little sport tourer, nicely balanced and tighter than Rick Wagoner's smile. And yet, in the long telescope of automotive history, the new Z car would be but a footnote -- a capable and conscientious updating of a successful car -- but for the rev-matching innovation. Optional with the Sport package, the feature will, I predict, make its way to other manual-gearbox cars, in and outside of Nissan's line. In 10 years, every stick-shift-stirred car will have it. Toes, heels, adieu, adieu.

I grudgingly concede, rev-matching works beautifully. You can be full on the boil in fifth gear coming into a corner, get hard on the big brakes and walk down the gears -- fourth, third, second -- and before you can release the clutch, the engine soars with rpm as the computer algorithmically ciphers the exact revs to match the gear speed. YUNGgggg, YUNGGGG, YUNNGGGGGG!!! . . . You can't trick it and you can't beat it to the punch. Release the clutch and the uptake is buttery and slick, a dynamic nonevent.

You can switch off the system and practice heel-and-toeing on your own, but you will find the machine executes downshifts better, and you will be left inconsolable with your obsolete skill.

So what? After all, I don't know how to change a tubed tire. And I couldn't get a Model T out of neutral if you held a tommy gun to my head. Techniques change with technology.

It's just that heel-and-toeing makes drivers an integral, biomechanical part of the drivetrain, adjudicating between the engine and the rear wheels. You feel and appreciate the machinery. You vibe to the buzzy pulse of the engine through the blade of your foot and the shifter in your right palm. As a matter

of driver involvement, heel-and-toeing is a hedge against boredom, and boredom is forever the enemy in sports cars, followed closely by inattention.

So what if I can wear my big, heavy Allen Edmonds shoes instead of my Piloti driving slippers? I like my driving shoes. So rev-matching is faster and more efficient. So is euthanasia.

Another sodden blanket of technology has been thrown between me and the road. Another window opened to the klutzy, unweaned poseurs. More enabling of the inept. Progress.

Bah. I wash my heels and toes of the whole thing.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

I Support ClubWRX
    A horrible article in my eyes.

Most "race cars" havent had their throttle blipped manually in years.

Oh well...I want a test drive Nissan.

Oops, my bad, it had to have been an 08 then. Tells you how much I've kept up on the Nissans doesn't it? I had no idea they were changing it for the 09 model, all I knew was that it was brand new and I decided I wouldn't pay that kind of money for something that slow.

Just to clear up some wrong information being posted about the Nismo Z:

The 07-08 350z as well as the Nismo 350z are both shown in mags to hit 13.5-13.6. Now as we all know once in the hands of drivers like you and I people end up getting faster times than posted in mags. Head over to my350z.com and find thier 1/4 mile times page and you'll see that people are regularly hitting 13.1-13.3 in stock 07-08 Z's. It used to be that your average driver would run low 14's in the 350z and a good driver on a good day would see high 13's. This was what happened with the initial DE motor of the 03-05's. The 06's Rev-up motor actually produced roughly 10 more hp and torque when dyno tested at the wheels dispite having a decrease on paper at the crank. Still the 06's were not really any faster than the 03-05's. Now the 07's have the HR motor which actually dynos roughly 25hp over the previous DE motor. The average number I've seen is 265hp to the wheels compared to the 03-05's 240hp.

So those stating that 350z's are slow need to have a better grasp on what they are racing. 03-08 may all be 350z's but there were 3 different motors through out the years. I guarntee no stage 2 wrx will touch an 07-08 Z unless the Z driver is not that great. Now as for the original poster with his modded Suby, you will spank his ass no problem. You have a clear HP advantage and weight advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    Just to clear up some wrong information being posted about the Nismo Z:

The 07-08 350z as well as the Nismo 350z are both shown in mags to hit 13.5-13.6. Now as we all know once in the hands of drivers like you and I people end up getting faster times than posted in mags. Head over to my350z.com and find thier 1/4 mile times page and you'll see that people are regularly hitting 13.1-13.3 in stock 07-08 Z's. It used to be that your average driver would run low 14's in the 350z and a good driver on a good day would see high 13's. This was what happened with the initial DE motor of the 03-05's. The 06's Rev-up motor actually produced roughly 10 more hp and torque when dyno tested at the wheels dispite having a decrease on paper at the crank. Still the 06's were not really any faster than the 03-05's. Now the 07's have the HR motor which actually dynos roughly 25hp over the previous DE motor. The average number I've seen is 265hp to the wheels compared to the 03-05's 240hp.

So those stating that 350z's are slow need to have a better grasp on what they are racing. 03-08 may all be 350z's but there were 3 different motors through out the years. I guarntee no stage 2 wrx will touch an 07-08 Z unless the Z driver is not that great. Now as for the original poster with his modded Suby, you will spank his ass no problem. You have a clear HP advantage and weight advantage.
    thanks for the info.

Dude you said it yourself, you have 390 whp Do you seriously need us to tell you who's going to win between you and a stock car?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.