stg 2 STI vs 2002 Audi S4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stg 2 STI vs 2002 Audi S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was in my coworker's STI stg 2 coming back from so errands late on a Thursday night. I was ...

stg 2 STI vs 2002 Audi S4

I was in my coworker's STI stg 2 coming back from so errands late on a Thursday night. I was driving since he had some headache problems. I started playing with an Audi S4. Man that thing moves. He managed to pull 2 car lengths on me from about 55mph to 120mph. I spoke to him since he took the same exit and there is a light after the exit. He said it was a stg 3 2002 B4 with upgraded fuel system. I am curious, is it really that fast?? i have driven the STI on numerous occasions i am well familiar with the car is not like i cant drive. But that this moved. It was a complete sleeper, did not even have wheels, nothing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

S4 is a 4.2l V8 any work done to that will be expensive but have powerful results... esp on the freeway...

my guess
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know much about their "stages" but they can surprise you. I've ridden in a few that were really quick.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti
    S4 is a 4.2l V8 any work done to that will be expensive but have powerful results... esp on the freeway...

my guess
    Not in '02 - it was 2.7 biturbo
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    I don't know much about their "stages" but they can surprise you. I've ridden in a few that were really quick.

Not in '02 - it was 2.7 biturbo
    yeah, it was the 2.7 B4 surprisingly it moved like nuts. Like i said it was a short spur and it pulled. I dont know how it's gonna do from a dig against the STI though.

probably real good being its awd tt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    So what kind of hp/tq numbers would that Audi have with it's proclaimed "stage3" setup?
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    So what kind of hp/tq numbers would that Audi have with it's proclaimed "stage3" setup?
    That is the question.

Here are a few things I found.
    Video - 2002 Audi TT APR Stage 3+ 0-70 No exhaust - APR

Here is one that was recently sold:

FOR SALE!! CALL TO FIND OUT MORE - Warren, New Jersey
    "For sale is my stage 3 audi s4. This car has many mods to it including a brembo big brake kit in the front. Front mount Intercooler. KW V2 suspension. BBS CH wheels. AMS Tuned. This car has about 400+ hp and is very very fast. the mods have been on for about 5 months now. Im asking . I have every single bill and you can see how much money was put into this car. It is in super condition. I need to sell soon so please let me know your offers. heres a link to my cardomain with pics. I WTB a vw R32. I may be taking the brembo kit off and putting brand new rotars and pads on the front. If you want the brembo kit im asking a little more on top of the 22,500"
    Last edited by be1ieve1111; 10-23-2008 at 03:49 PM.

The old S4 was amazing: a very comfortable sleeper that could easily be modded to go seriously fast. In comparison, the new one is an expensively slow and sloppy pig. Unless you prefer slow and expensive luxury, old S4 > STI > new S4.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2.7 V6 bi-turbo was a nice car, but not all that powerful stock. A STOCK S4 will get trounced by an STI, especially from a dig. That must have been a nicely modded 02 S4 to pull on a Stage 2 STI....

Heck, I would hang with the old S4s in my stock 03 WRX bug-eye from a dig! I test-drove one before getting my 03 WRX and just found the S4 not as involving to drive as the 03 WRX..

That said, my 08 STI isn't as involving to drive as my 03 WRX either, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite...
    2010 SSM STI

b5 s4

depending on who does the stage 3 kit they can be crazy fast. My best friend has an 01 apr stage 3 s4 on 110 octane it has a little over 500 crank hp ( as stated by apr) It will keep up with most corvettes (which we have done on more then one occasion) But the draw back of these cars is with that much power you start to work on the car a little more then I like. So against a stock wrx or sti they have no chance. If the subi has as much work done to it then it will most likely win. the audi was a butt load more.

EDIT: B4 not B5
    Last edited by Ogre96; 11-24-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: title

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis View Post
    The old S4 was amazing: a very comfortable sleeper that could easily be modded to go seriously fast. In comparison, the new one is an expensively slow and sloppy pig. Unless you prefer slow and expensive luxury, old S4 > STI > new S4.

WOW..some big insults on a car that you never owned. What is considered slow in your terms?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but a lot of European cars (especially Audis) tend to have really high gearing since they're tuned to be able to run on the Autobahn. Granted, they're still powerful as **** but they definitely have the advantage in the upper range -- power aside. I don't mean this as an excuse for the STI losing since it's obvious the S4 was much quicker, just pointing that out.

Having owned a bugeye wrx and a V8 S4, I'll give my impressions. The S4 is definately well above the WRX in terms of luxury as is evident by the price difference. Although the WRX is quick off the line and low speeds, the S4 felt much better in the highways. During the time I owned an S4, I never had an opportunity to run with any Subaru's.
    That said, Audi's are the underpowered cars of their segments. I always felt I had the short end of the stick when compared to an M3. Even the R8 supercar is underpowered and can be easily beat by a lower priced sports sedan.
    2008 BMW M5 (E60) V10
    2005 S4 4.2 L V8 Black (traded)
    2002 WRX- (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by KwanDDS View Post
    Having owned a bugeye wrx and a V8 S4, I'll give my impressions. The S4 is definately well above the WRX in terms of luxury as is evident by the price difference. Although the WRX is quick off the line and low speeds, the S4 felt much better in the highways. During the time I owned an S4, I never had an opportunity to run with any Subaru's.
    That said, Audi's are the underpowered cars of their segments. I always felt I had the short end of the stick when compared to an M3. Even the R8 supercar is underpowered and can be easily beat by a lower priced sports sedan.
    what about the new RS6? It is not a sports car, it is a wagon for god sake, and it annihilates anything on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 350Zimo View Post
    what about the new RS6? It is not a sports car, it is a wagon for god sake, and it annihilates anything on the road.
    From what I understand, its not making it to the states. And isnt it only in a wagon?
    Hopefully I'm wrong.
    2008 BMW M5 (E60) V10
    2005 S4 4.2 L V8 Black (traded)
    2002 WRX- (traded)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast