stg 2 STI vs 2002 Audi S4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stg 2 STI vs 2002 Audi S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; These are the two cars that I was really considering. I'm a college student and the reliability of the Audi ...

These are the two cars that I was really considering. I'm a college student and the reliability of the Audi has kind of swayed me towards the Subaru, even if the Audi may be more luxurious or a killer sleeper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KwanDDS View Post
    From what I understand, its not making it to the states. And isnt it only in a wagon?
    Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Its ture it not coming to the states and no its not just a wagon.
    Over in Eurpoe most cars that are sold are wagons so they came out with the wagon before they came out with the sedan, the sedan was just released.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

2002 is the last year they made the B5 chassis S4 (2000-2002), which is a 2.7L V6 Biturbo. Stage 3 (k04 turbos=small) with upgraded fueling, that s4 was around 430-440 awhp range. Stage 3 S4's kill BT and even some BAT A4's. Strap some GT series turbos on one, forget about it.

2003-2008 is a 4.2L V8 (B6/B7) = slow. no real performance mods. superchargers range from $12-22,000 We make fun of these guys on all the Audi forums

2009 is a 3.0L V6 supercharged (B8) we'll see how it does

the RS6 available here (C5) is a 4.2L V8 Biturbo, the new one (C6) is 5.0L V10 Biturbo is not available in the U.S.

the R8 is underpowered because of that small V8. They should have put in a V10. (probably take sales away from Lamborghini Gallardo though)
    Last edited by FLACO X3; 11-25-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Audi + Subaru Fan
    2000 Audi S4 (B5) 2.7T EPL Stage 2
    2001.5 Audi A4 (B5) 1.8T Stg. 2 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 350Zimo View Post
    what about the new RS6? It is not a sports car, it is a wagon for god sake, and it annihilates anything on the road.
    annihilates or destroy pick one

Ok well, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Ill sum this up in the comparison between the two. Subaru WRX STi vs Audi's S4,RS4,RS6. I think it comparing apples to oranges. Yes these cars are expensive to buy and upkeep, but with that said dont buy out of your means. 11k to 22k for a superchager on a Audi hmm if money isnt a issue why the hell not?

I want to post up a video that im sure some of you seen. I dont quite agree with the driving like a bafoon on a crowded highway is all that smart. BUT i love seeing that RS6 tearing up that M5's A$$. Im sure ill see the posts that is BIAS it comes down to the driver. Yea but do you see what happens everytime in a straight away. Although mods arent parent to the RS6 that goes with saying modding a Audi is quite Esqusite. What is parent happens everytime in a straight away. The Boxer motor is a interesting powerplant, but it wont ever have top end power of these cars B6 type and up, bottom line.

BMW M5 vs Audi RS6- Video

Ill even admit being bias here, I had a B5 type S4 and didnt have any issues with it. Power and luxury is a match made in heaven.

P.S. FLACO X3..."4.2L V8 (B6/B7) = slow"... you own a A4 1.8t, S4 owners laugh at you for having a spruced up Jetta. 1.8 stg2 joke now thats a doggish model. The only thing good about a 2.8 or 1.8t gives others the mindset that they can walk up along any B5 Audi model, thats until they get stroked by a S4. Lets be honest here the 1.8t is a over-heated terd of a motor and should of stayed in the VW lineup where it belongs.
    Last edited by S4winz; 11-26-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: had to add a tid-bit to a fellow Audi enthusiast

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by S4winz View Post
    11k to 22k for a superchager on a Audi hmm if money isnt a issue why the hell not?
    I see this sort of comment here a lot, and it never fails to strike me as being a bit silly. Many folks who have done well enough to now afford a $60,000 sports sedan (or therebouts, for a 2008 S4), didn't get there by being careless with their money. $12,000 to them is still 12K that they could be investing, paying for a child's college with, or whatever...it's 20% of the purchase value of the vehicle, and will likely not be trivial to them. Proportionally, it's like assuming that all WRX buyers have an extra $5K in fun money sitting around, that they couldn't care less about. If money is truly "not an issue", and I think that that's a pretty small group at this point in time, then I don't know that I'd be looking at S4's anyway.

Having said that, the V8 S4's are fine cars, with more than enough performance for most folks. People rag on its mod-ability, but at the end of the day I have to believe that 99% of S4 buyers have no interest in increasing its power.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 11-26-2008 at 06:32 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I see this sort of comment here a lot, and it never fails to strike me as being a bit silly. Many folks who have done well enough to now afford a $60,000 sports sedan (or therebouts, for a 2008 S4), didn't get there by being careless with their money. $12,000 to them is still 12K that they could be investing, paying for a child's college with, or whatever...it's 20% of the purchase value of the vehicle, and will likely not be trivial to them. Proportionally, it's like assuming that all WRX buyers have an extra $5K in fun money sitting around, that they couldn't care less about. If money is truly "not an issue", and I think that that's a pretty small group at this point in time, then I don't know that I'd be looking at S4's anyway.

Having said that, the V8 S4's are fine cars, with more than enough performance for most folks. People rag on its mod-ability, but at the end of the day I have to believe that 99% of S4 buyers have no interest in increasing its power.
    Thaks for making me seem like a silly type kinda guy. Who is to say that the individual doesent have a bottom-less income? mom and daddy for instance. Like those kids that just got a drivers license and got a STi for their very first car. Not far fetched I think. Ive actually read it few times and know these types on a first-hand basis back home. This is one very simple possibility why 11k to 22k is pocket change. Really this Audi line is for the more finacial sound type. I think its silly you think its not feasable for some individuals owning this type of car dont have money to play with from $500 to $5,000 to even $50,000 whatever the case may be. Or how about this for instance maybe they are wealthy, maybe cars are their passion and hobbie. Maybe then just then money isnt a issue.

Your second part of the statement is pretty much true. For one the Audi isnt by any means cheap to mod thats just a fact. Another,reason is that not to many stateside tuners that are really Audi inclined to work on. The car is not too forgiving on the eletrical side also. Very finicky in my words. Well you have your thought as i do mine. Both IMO are justified.

Let's not name call.
    Last edited by 302@12psi; 11-26-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    Audi + Subaru Fan

I Support ClubWRX
    Thaks for making me seem like a silly type kinda guy. Who is to say that the individual doesent have a bottom-less income? mom and daddy for instance. Like those kids that just got a drivers license and got a STi for their very first car. Not far fetched I think. Ive actually read it f
    You're very sensitive...it's something you're going to have to deal with if you want to interact successfully on most forums.

I stand by my post. I never said that there aren't individuals out there that have a way to pour 20% more of their expensive car's purchase price into the car; there will always be a tiny percentage of the populace that dumps money into their car in a cavalier way. What I was addressing was your rhetorical question about doing so to a $60K car. ("Why the hell not?") Because most people, people who think about ROI with regard to their expenditures, will find it to be a dumb idea.

I suppose I consider myself and my circle of friends to be the people in question. I could cash out some investments (not a good idea at the moment), and buy an S4 tomorrow. Cars are my "hobbie", as you said, so if there was a reasonably cheap and easy way to make some more power in the car, I might do so. I would NEVER pay $12K for it, though. Too many better things I can do with that money.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 11-26-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FLACO X3 View Post
    really? Ive never heard that from an S4 owner. If you want to talk **** at least compare it to THE RIGHT CAR, A Passat is more similar to the A4/S4 then a Jetta dip ****. Youve never driven in a GT3076r A4 I take it. I was simply stating that the B5 S4 owns all..............
    FLACO, do not dodge the swear filter outside of our OT forums to use the F-word.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

FLACO, do not dodge the swear filter outside of our OT forums to use the F-word.
    sorry force of habit
    Audi + Subaru Fan

You're very sensitive...it's something you're going to have to deal with if you want to interact successfully on most forums.

I stand by my post. I never said that there aren't individuals out there that have a way to pour 20% more of their expensive car's purchase price into the car; there will always be a tiny percentage of the populace that dumps money into their car in a cavalier way. What I was addressing was your rhetorical question about doing so to a $60K car. ("Why the hell not?") Because most people, people who think about ROI with regard to their expenditures, will find it to be a dumb idea.

I suppose I consider myself and my circle of friends to be the people in question. I could cash out some investments (not a good idea at the moment), and buy an S4 tomorrow. Cars are my "hobbie", as you said, so if there was a reasonably cheap and easy way to make some more power in the car, I might do so. I would NEVER pay $12K for it, though. Too many better things I can do with that money.
    true they want to spend the same $3,000* that the old B5'ers spend to go Stage 3
    Audi + Subaru Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FLACO X3 View Post
    really? Ive never heard that from an S4 owner. If you want to talk **** at least compare it to THE RIGHT CAR, A Passat is more similar to the A4/S4 then a Jetta dip ****. Youve never driven in a GT3076r A4 I take it. I was simply stating that the B5 S4 owns all other S4s except the UrS4's (2.2L I5 Turbo). I nebver said my car is as fast, or better then an S4 or any other car out there.
    THe 2.7 V6 TT is overrated (everyone and their fukin mom has a Stage 3 S4). The VW VR6 with a turbo kills that engine.
    I see where this is going. Passat, that makes more sense a little more on the luxury side of VW. What was the common motor for the two? This was my main point? And no I never been in a GT3076r A4. WOW a big turbo in a over heating 1.8 motor im sure the shelf life of that motor is great. I wonder what it feels like when the motor pops like a zit maybe you can tell me some day. The TT, isnt even what i was talking about either. I was talking strictly about the S4,RS4 and RS6!!

Oh and this was a cute statement "(everyone and their fukin mom has a Stage 3 S4)". Your mother must rank amongst the coolest of the cool to have one. Another thing what is common in your terms? He has a S4 it has to be stg 3!! Final thought on the "common" statement, where is your S4 at? c Thanks for the Dip-**** comment, I havent felt like that since i was in a scuddle in high school.
    Last edited by S4winz; 11-26-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: "You're very sensitive"..perhaps Defensive

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh and this was a cute statement "(everyone and their fukin mom has a Stage 3 S4)".
    I've issued one warning in this thread about dodging the swear filter. Please take a moment and read the rules of the forum, paying special attention to the swearing and personal attack categories. No more warnings will be given.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

wishing they still made the old S4

WOW..some big insults on a car that you never owned. What is considered slow in your terms?
    Itís kind of funny, the suggestion that criticisms require ownership. If thatís right, then we shouldnít give low marks to the Kia Rondo, unless weíve owned one. No thanks. Of course, the Kia is no Audi, but itís precisely because of my criticisms of the current S4 that I wonít own one.

Whatís slow? My view of speed isnít absolute, it takes into account performance and cost and modifiability. When Iím through with the STI, Iím certain to have something faster for the money than the current S4. Whether itís a modified 135i, M3, or even a C6, who knows? But Iíd rather have any of these instead of the current S4.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

I see where this is going. Passat, that makes more sense a little more on the luxury side of VW. What was the common motor for the two? This was my main point? And no I never been in a GT3076r A4. WOW a big turbo in a over heating 1.8 motor im sure the shelf life of that motor is great. I wonder what it feels like when the motor pops like a zit maybe you can tell me some day. The TT, isnt even what i was talking about either. I was talking strictly about the S4,RS4 and RS6!!

Oh and this was a cute statement "(everyone and their fukin mom has a Stage 3 S4)". Your mother must rank amongst the coolest of the cool to have one. Another thing what is common in your terms? He has a S4 it has to be stg 3!! Final thought on the "common" statement, where is your S4 at? c Thanks for the Dip-**** comment, I havent felt like that since i was in a scuddle in high school.
    overheating? really, 120,000 + miles is not a bad sign of reliability, this is not a Ford. TT means TWIN TURBO not the car. I think your mad your S4 was stock and got beat by SRT-4. Just because your car has problems does not mean everyone elses does.

I know plenty of S4 owners, I dont need one to know about them. You just cant be reasoned with. You keep bringing up the 1.8T, but if you want a reliable, fuel efficient, easy to mod engine that is the way to go. If you want pure tuninmg capability then you get a B5 S4. IF you want a really nice car that'll keep a smile on your face when you floor it you get a newer S4 or RS6. IF YOUR RICH and Can afford $22k in mods you get an RS4.

Volkswagen made Audi what it is today. There is no getting around that. LIKE IT OR NOT.
    Audi + Subaru Fan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast