Back in the saddle again
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Back in the saddle again within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I used to have a 2003 Stage 2 WRX which i had to trade because of recurrent transmission problems. ...

Back in the saddle again

Well I used to have a 2003 Stage 2 WRX which i had to trade because of recurrent transmission problems. I had a 02 3.5L maxima for a few years until now

I couldnt live without a turbo anymore. It was easier giving up drinking.

2009 Cobalt SS Coupe
    2.0L Direct Injection Variable valve timing
    LSD
    Not as fast as my ol Subie out of the hole, but pulls way harder once rolling

2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice

Any mods yet?

Without the wing, it looks like pretty much any other Cobalt on the road (only the wheels/brakes really give it away)- I bet you'll surprise a lot of people!
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Sweet ride. How's that tuned suspension?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

This car originally had the "high rise" spoiler which was only provided a mere 35lbs of downforce @ 100mph on a front wheel drive car. As soon as the motor was broken in, I had the wing shaved and trunk debadged (except for "turbocharged" badge)

The steering is a little numb, but very heavy with no play on center. I think the suspension is great, It handles on rails like it is and has tons of bump soaking ability. I wont be lowering it.
    I will say that the OEM SportContact2 tires are way too noisy and GM says 15000 miles are all I should expect from these tires.

Near future mods:
    Projectors and HID
    Hahn ppc tuner (very similar to accessport) 290whp
    or GM factory upgrade (305 crank hp with warranty intact)
    Potenza 960 pole position Ultra High perf all seasons
    ARK shorty antennae (current one is 3ft tall non retractable)
    Cupholder modification (worst cupholder ever)

Down the road
    FMIC
    Synapse Downpipe
    Synapse turbo kit (still in development)
    Upgraded Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Down the road
    FMIC
    Synapse Downpipe
    Upgraded Clutch
    Does this have any sort of intercooler at this point (it looks to have one in the picture, but that just might be the radiator), or were you just going to be upgrading to a larger one?
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

stock FMIC
    future upgrade to larger bar and plate

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    Synapse Downpipe
    You talking about the shop in NY?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Theyre in Albany NY

Hey anyone have any suggestions for performance Allseason tires?

I Support ClubWRX
    Continental extream contacts did wonders on my WRX.

Without having the benefit of AWD I'm not sure how those will do. They leaned more towards snow tire then Hi Performance dry tire so they should do fine.

Pirelli's P-zero nero's are always high up on the all season list as well...but with a price.

Honestly I'd seriously try to find some stock take off's and toss some Blizzaks on them or other dedicate snow tire if you plan on driving in the cold or wet or snow or mush stuff more then a handful of times. For the money spent on a dedicate snow setup it's usualy about half of what your insurance deductable would be if you got in a wreck. Plus you dont have to sacifice dry performance and keeps miles off your summer setup.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    Theyre in Albany NY
    That's what I thought. I was reading about their setup on a local forum. I'm actually going to a cookout there the first weekend in November.

They're right by the dealership I go to all the time, and I need to stop there, so I figured I'd hit it up while I was in the area.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Theyre in Albany NY

Hey anyone have any suggestions for performance Allseason tires?
    BF Goodrich KDW2's. They are the stock tires on the Neon SRT-4. They are just as good as the KD's but are, as you might have guessed it, for all seasons. Not too expensive either.

BFGoodrich g-Force T
    **EDIT**Apparently I made a mistake, although these are the stock SRT-4 tires they are not intended to be driven in snow.

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS
    These are the true all season KDW tires.
    Last edited by Very-Rexy; 10-21-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

I Support ClubWRX
    I was going to say the stock SRT-4 tires ARE NOT all seaons.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Congrats on the new ride! I'm impressed by the new Cobalt SS and hoping it does well.

The BFG KDWS was stock on my GTO, and I thought they were horrible in the cold and snow, and they also wore quickly. I don't think you can downsize to a 16" and clear the front brakes on the new Cobalt SS, so if you do another set of wheels and tires for the winter, make sure you get a set that will clear the Brembos. You might be stuck with 18" wheels... Check the Cobalt forums to be sure, though.

Good luck with the new ride! I'm anxious to see how they respond to light mods, and what the cost of the GM factory upgrade will be...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Well after much debate I will be shedding the contisportcontact2's for Bridgestone RE960 Pole positions.

Summer tires arent an option in chicago. Pretty soon it will be 30's in the evening and my morning commute.

I thought about extremecontacts but theyre a lot noiser and dont perform as well on wet and dry. Sure they are cheaper but Id pay an extra 200 bucks for wet traction year round.

Currently NO aftermarket rims exist that clear the fixed caliper brembos. Once some are available I will purchase a winter wheel set, and some WS60's.

The RE960's are going to give up a little turn in response (vs oem summer contis), but they make up for that in wet grip, ride quality, treadnoise, light snow, and low temp grip

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.