Back in the saddle again - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Back in the saddle again within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BoostinSlow on the new cobalt ss its very posible to get 290+ whp with just a tune.. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostinSlow View Post
    on the new cobalt ss its very posible to get 290+ whp with just a tune.. my buddy has one and has a trifecta tune on with no mods, and makes 298whp...

290 WHEEL horsepower?

(Pulls out BS flag)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

290 WHEEL horsepower?

(Pulls out BS flag)
    Glad I'm not the only one. I was even gonna say, the STi won't make 290whp without something more than a simple tune. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ok ive got some updates with the car

ive had some warrantied brake issues, the rear rotors score bad in little time. stock Ferrodo racing pads plus crappy GM rotors = bad scoring, premature pad failure, and nasty grinding noises.

I did an accessport style superchips tuner, too mild for my liking. (wanted 2nd gear roll on burnouts)

Went with Trifecta, 300 dollars 300whp 340wlbft. Clutch cant hang with the tune below 3k. Car is a beast though should be good for 112mph , bought Exedy Hypersingle, motormounts, yet to install, for those who know the VW apr tune, its similar, you can toggle cruise control for stock tune or wild tune

Found some 17" junk yard SS wheels that fit over the Brembos, mounted General Altimax arctic snow tires, last winter was scary on High performance all seasons, bring on the snow....
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

That car really does rock in the "econo performance" category. It sounds like GM puts a capable turbo on it for a tune to be able to unleash so much more hp.

I think Subaru owners really don't know what it's like for a stock turbo to have so much untapped potential. Toyota and Mitsubishi turbo cars have done it since the early 90s.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    That car really does rock in the "econo performance" category. It sounds like GM puts a capable turbo on it for a tune to be able to unleash so much more hp.

I think Subaru owners really don't know what it's like for a stock turbo to have so much untapped potential. Toyota and Mitsubishi turbo cars have done it since the early 90s.
    +1.

Does anyone know what turbo goes in the Cobalt SS? Comparable to a 16G?

I was this close to buying one a few months ago. Couldn't find a good color. Didn't want bright yellow and that was all they had locally. I couldn't believe the performance-for-your-money price, even though I hate FWD. I still really would love one...

I even read somewhere the Cobalt SS (2008) beat the 2004 STi around the Nurburgring by a few seconds. That impressed me.

Its a twin scroll K04

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Its a twin scroll K04
    K04? As in, the K04 series turbos from the Audi world?

If I'm correct, they put two of those turbos on the RS4. My friend has a regular S4 and one popular upgrade from his K03 (I think) turbos are to go with the K04s... and that is a very powerful upgrade for them. I'm talking 500+hp....

I guess if your turbo is the same, it's got some potential.

With all boltons and careful tuning the stock turbo is good for 36lbs a minute. One member who is an aggressive tuner is putting down 363whp and 393wtq with Hahn DP. Borla Catback. Clearimage Performance Chargepipes. Synapse 600 HP Intercooler. How his clutch handles it i have no idea because mine quits at about 320wtq.

but yea the K04 GM used in the LNF is different from the audi/vw variants. The vw's see only 240whp on the 4 bangers, clearly the GM variant is MUCH more potent

Wrinklechops
    With all boltons and careful tuning the stock turbo is good for 36lbs a minute. One member who is an aggressive tuner is putting down 363whp and 393wtq with Hahn DP. Borla Catback. Clearimage Performance Chargepipes. Synapse 600 HP Intercooler. How his clutch handles it i have no idea because mine quits at about 320wtq.

but yea the K04 GM used in the LNF is different from the audi/vw variants. The vw's see only 240whp on the 4 bangers, clearly the GM variant is MUCH more potent
    Yea cuz the stock Cobalt SS puts out what, 265hp? That's a pretty nice starting point.

So the aftermarket is strong for the SS? Even though they discontinued it?

I might just get one someday...

ZZP did a turboswap, ported the head, altered fuel pressure electronically and ran up to a electronic injection limit of 500whp

Wrinklechops
    ZZP did a turboswap, ported the head, altered fuel pressure electronically and ran up to a electronic injection limit of 500whp
    You keep using "whp" when I think you really need to be using "hp", just FYI

Who is ZZP? What turbo did they change out? Any engine work i.e. cams, stronger internals? I know the stock block of the 2.0 Ecotec is actually pretty strong though. Stronger than my 2.0 for example, that's for sure.

So you're saying with just an upgraded turbo and ported heads and fuel pressure work, a Cobalt SS made 500hp+? No intercooler, no injector upgrades, no engine work, etc?

i was referring to whp as in wheel hp, measured at the front wheels.

YouTube - Turbo Swap Cobalt Runs 11.43 at 126!

They are a aftermarkets part developer / tuner
    i believe an intercooler is required for 500+ WHP, but the stock FMIC will net you around 450

The weak point in the LNF are the cast pistons. Probably not strong enough for sustained 500hp, there are some forged pistons available though....

A member on our forum did a nice video for just a tune only. It gives a nice idea of the potential with just a flash.

YouTube - 09 Cobalt SS - no tune vs trifecta tune
    Last edited by Anzioblack44; 12-03-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Wrinklechops
    i was referring to whp as in wheel hp, measured at the front wheels.
    Yes I know what "whp" is, but do you actually have dyno numbers on this? That's what a dyno measures: whp. Regular "hp" numbers at measured at the crank. For example, I'm putting 223 to the wheels, but am probably close to 283 at the crank. AWD drivetrain losses suck.

Cool video. Seems like he missed a shift. I wasn't sure I believed the 11-sec numbers, but then saw this guy run 12s on the stock turbo!

YouTube - ZZP Stock Turbo Cobalt Runs 12.17

I don't think there is a stock turbo in the world that a Subie could run 12s with? Well I take that back I guess... I suppose some Stage II + STis at sea level could do it.

The weak point in the LNF are the cast pistons. Probably not strong enough for sustained 500hp, there are some forged pistons available though....
    I thought the pistons were forged, but I was wrong. It's just the crankshaft and connecting rods. Cool info:

Unique LNF features include:

* a twin-scroll turbocharger
    * cam-driven high pressure gasoline direct injection fuel system
    * dual camshaft continuously variable valve timing
    * sodium-filled stainless steel Inconel exhaust valves
    * low-friction cast aluminum pistons with oil squirters
    * forged steel crankshaft
    * forged steel connecting rods
    * cast stainless steel exhaust manifold

FWD sucks for traction, but it saps the least amount of power. A stock TC puts about 250 to the wheels, and your average tuned TC puts close to 300whp give or take a few.

anyway there is a dyno pic posted on post 329 in this thread

Turbo swap, valve springs, ported head, usual boltons, clutch. I personally wouldnt see the point as youd never hook up, but it can be done... Id consider selling my car for a saturn sky (same motor/RWD) That would be a mean sumva *****

ZZP LNF Turbo Upgrade- First Dyno Session - Page 9 - Cobalt SS Network
    Last edited by Anzioblack44; 12-03-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Wrinklechops
    FWD sucks for traction, but it saps the least amount of power. A stock TC puts about 250 to the wheels, and your average tuned TC puts close to 300whp give or take a few.
    Scion TC?

Or are you talking about the Cobalt's stock turbocharger aka TC?

If you're talking about the Cobalt's stock turbo, how can it put 250 to the wheels with a 265hp factory power rating? There's only a 15hp drivetrain loss with FWD? I could see maybe a 30hp drivetrain loss, but 15? My WRX puts 223hp to the wheels and when I test drove a few 09 Cobalt SS's, they didn't feel any faster. If it was 250 to the wheels, I would have felt it! lol

But yes, I can see the potential for a Cobalt SS, hence why I wanted/want one so bad. I can see 300whp very easily on one of those, especially with the great aftermarket you guys seem to have.

anyway there is a dyno pic posted on post 329 in this thread
    Ah yea, they were on 110 octane race gas, that's why! lol

Turbo swap, valve springs, ported head, usual boltons, clutch. I personally wouldnt see the point as youd never hook up, but it can be done... Id consider selling my car for a saturn sky (same motor/RWD) That would be a mean sumva *****
    Looks like the Sky might be a little bit lighter too? That would be cool. Too bad Saturn is going away
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 12-03-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast