Back in the saddle again - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Back in the saddle again within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Talked to derrick @ tire rack. I explained that eventually I want to go with a dedicated wheel and tire ...

Talked to derrick @ tire rack. I explained that eventually I want to go with a dedicated wheel and tire set for my SS. They still have no wheels for us but he anticipates that by spring we should see something.

He said he has driven both the Contiextremes and the RE960's on ice and snow, and found that the 960 was a bit better in the white stuff vs the conti. "wet traction, road noise, and tread life are all considerably better than the continental"

I have a 20 mile commute each way so I was willing to fork over for a quiet tire that offers the best performance and wear.

I understand Some people may opt for the extreme contacts with the offbrand navigation and 160 dollars less. But your car is only as good/fast/safe as the rubber she wears
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no experiance with the bridgestones you mention.

I drove through a bad storm/snow with the Contis (albeit in a WRX) without any issues. Great all season for the price. No idea how they would work on your car through.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the Cobalt. A good read that shows what the Cobalt can do - it beat an Evo MR on the test track. Look where the STi finished.

The Lightning Lap, 2008 - Feature/Features/Classic Cars/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Acrobat document showing a comparision chart of the best times >> http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...08+Results.pdf
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have no idea how the car will handle in the snow either. Definetly wont accelerate like AWD. My car does have the optional LSD unlike my 1WD maxima that absolutely required snow tires.

My GF's 2.5L Altima does really well in the snow with Continental grand touring allseasons and im pretty sure that car doesnt feature a Limited slip.

keep your fingers crossed for me. I may need a subaru to come pull me out of snow bank

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    keep your fingers crossed for me. I may need a subaru to come pull me out of snow bank
    Just take your time - you will be fine with the LSD. I might consider Dunlop Wintersport M3 for dedicated winter tires if you need to drive in moderately deep snow. All season tires my leave you stuck.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

ive been looking at one of these as well.. hows the reliability factor? my next car will be something i can daily drive for 8 yrs at least
    04 SVT Lightning

Congrats on the Cobalt. When good cars are produced, even if they are not the exact car we may want to drive ourselves, everyone wins. It looks like there are a lot of neat "toys" in the interior, especially the guages. Why can't Subaru come out of the dark age in this area? It looks like the car has a decent Pioneer sound system also; sound is something the base WRX is sorely lacking, especially at the price they're charging for it...
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

cant comment on relieability i only have 3500 miles, but the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline have been pretty reliable.

There is a few panel rattles that piss me off, but i will dynomat in the future.

My number 1 concern is that GM doesnt go under, servicing my car and obtaining warranty would be hard or impossible.

Thumbs up To the OP: my 2 cents

I'm a big fan of the new Cobalt -- great performance for the dollar. It's especially impressive how well it handles. Have fun and be safe.

Just curious--why not spring for summer tires/rims and a winter set too? That way, if there's snow, you can have great control and fun.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

FX 45 hardware E55 bezel, ill have more pics when installed

I Support ClubWRX
    I finally got a chance to catch up on my Road and Track reading while I was traveling...they put the SS at the head of the pack in a recent comparo. Sounds like a really fun vehicle!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

thanks guys... nice to know theres real enthusiasts on the site. Cobaltss.net isnt nearly as even keeled. alot of "buy american or shoot yourself"

Wrinklechops
    What HP did you have stock? I'm sure I can just go look it up I guess. I mean whp... since you claim you'll get 290whp with just a tune? Or.... am I not reading that right?

on the new cobalt ss its very posible to get 290+ whp with just a tune.. my buddy has one and has a trifecta tune on with no mods, and makes 298whp...

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostinSlow View Post
    on the new cobalt ss its very posible to get 290+ whp with just a tune.. my buddy has one and has a trifecta tune on with no mods, and makes 298whp...
    That's insane, I had no idea.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast