300zx vs 2004 WRX

This is a discussion on 300zx vs 2004 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just curious, Which of these is the faster car? I previously owned a 1990 NA 300zx... then a Honda CBR ...

300zx vs 2004 WRX

just curious, Which of these is the faster car?

I previously owned a 1990 NA 300zx...
    then a Honda CBR motorcycle
    and now a WRX...
    the bike has distorted my view of speed & acceleration...

so which of the cars is faster?
    Last edited by corybb; 10-13-2008 at 08:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If we're talking about a NA 300zx then the WRX will be much faster.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I Support ClubWRX
    I know what you mean about motorcycles. I had a CBR600F2 for a few years, 0-60 in 3 seconds will spoil you.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

There are a lot of ways to test which way a car is faster but I'll use the most common. The 300zx n/a ran the 1/4 mile in 15.1-15.2 while the 04 WRX runs it in 14.0-14.3. I love Z's but the 300zx n/a doesn't compete with many cars of this decade.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    There are a lot of ways to test which way a car is faster but I'll use the most common. The 300zx n/a ran the 1/4 mile in 15.1-15.2 while the 04 WRX runs it in 14.0-14.3. I love Z's but the 300zx n/a doesn't compete with many cars of this decade.
    That shouldnt be surprising......It seems it was only meant to be "decently quick" . The twin turbo was the one with all the real power. A question I would have though is how it stacked up against other cars of the early 90s ( the N/A Z I mean).
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

Well definetly, the 300zx n/a back in the 90's was pretty spectacular. I mean back then all the TT cars (300zx, supra, rx-7, etc) were almost considered super cars. Back in the early to mid 90's having a low 15sec was pretty good and having a high 13's sec car was amazing. It wasn't really all that long ago that having a 16 sec car was good. LOL. Seems now and days 13's are becoming too slow and 12's is where it's at. Thats why I'm hoping Subaru steps up the STI because otherwise I'll have to switch over to something else soon (new 370z or possibly Vette), but I just love AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I know what you mean about motorcycles. I had a CBR600F2 for a few years, 0-60 in 3 seconds will spoil you.
    Yeah I had a CBR600F4.. couldn't have changed too much in 2 models maybe faster? who knows...but it was crazy fast. After a Bike, nothing has quite the punch that you thought it did.

Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    That shouldnt be surprising......It seems it was only meant to be "decently quick" . The twin turbo was the one with all the real power. A question I would have though is how it stacked up against other cars of the early 90s ( the N/A Z I mean).
    No doubt compared to other cars produced at the time, the Z was king of the road, not even just performace, but a Z now compared to other cars of 1990 just looks amazing still. Now once you go past 92 cars got alright ie the last gen supra and rx-7 but at 90 I'm pretty sure both those cars were still in they're ugly 80's phase. Ah the 80's...good times...terrible cars haha.

But that Z was a beast. Granted you could watch the gas needle move when you hit the pedal with that big V6...Can't imagine what the TT felt like... very jealous, but I couldn't afford it just as I cant afford an STI haha.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well definetly, the 300zx n/a back in the 90's was pretty spectacular. I mean back then all the TT cars (300zx, supra, rx-7, etc) were almost considered super cars. Back in the early to mid 90's having a low 15sec was pretty good and having a high 13's sec car was amazing. It wasn't really all that long ago that having a 16 sec car was good. LOL. Seems now and days 13's are becoming too slow and 12's is where it's at. Thats why I'm hoping Subaru steps up the STI because otherwise I'll have to switch over to something else soon (new 370z or possibly Vette), but I just love AWD.
    er...the STi is already in the 12's in stock form. Why go to a Z...don't tell me they are in the 12's.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I've yet to see anything that states a stock STI, let alone the new 2008's, are running 12's. Most times I've seen for the 06-07 show low 13's and the 08's showing just slightly slower.

As for the Z, well the 07-08 350z with HR motor is shown in mags to hit 13.6 but people on the boards are hitting 13.1-13.3 pretty regularly. The new 370z coming next month is not only supposed to be 200lbs lighter (putting it at around 3000lbs) but it's also getting the 3.7L motor from the G37. The 3.7 is rated at 330hp with the G37 but it's speculated to increase with the Z. This next gen Z should be a 12 sec car but we won't know for sure until the specs are finally released in a month. It's debut is the LA auto show on Nov. 19th but rumor has it that info on it will be released Oct 29th.

Besides, the STI may be fast from a dig but you can't compare it from a roll to many other cars these days. 400hp is the new 300hp. Way too many cars are coming out with 400+hp for the STI and EVO to just stay at 300hp. I could go on but this thread is about the 300zx vs. WRX so I'll stop here.

I could go on but this thread is about the 300zx vs. WRX so I'll stop here.
    I'm the original poster, my question was answered feel free to take it where ever from here

defintley wrx if the 300zx is n/a..but my buddy has a 300zx turbo and i walked him but i have a lil more money in mine also..lol
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

starbucks owns me...

I have one of each

I own and have raced both an 02 wrx and a 90 300zxTT.

The stock wrx best time is 13.976@94.75.
    The stage 3 300zx TT best time is 13.841@102.5
    It was a perfect run in the wrx, I don't think I'll ever be able to lower it, while there is potential in the 300zx for around a 13.5 or so. But still impressive for the 230 hp subaru! NA would be a different story. I think an NA would trap about the same, but if the wrx has a good launch the Z wouldn't be able to catch it.