06-07 stage 2 vs 09 wrx - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06-07 stage 2 vs 09 wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's the weight difference between the models?...

What's the weight difference between the models?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    Dont forget... the 08 wrx actually puts down something like 215-225 WHP...even though it was flywheel rated at 225!
    Not sure where you heard this information. Mustang dyno shows about 197 WHP from the 2008, which is about 4 WHP less than the 2006-2007. This explains the slower 1/4 mile times compared to previous years (stock 2008 traps at about 93 MPH @ 14.5 compared to the 96 MPH @ 14.2 of the 2006-2007)

OP, if you are really concerned about acceleration performance, please check the following site:
    www.dragtimes.com

I already did the homework, and found that a stage II 2006 WRX will do the quarter at 13.5 @ 101 MPH whereas a stock 2009 WRX supposedly does around 13.5 @ 102 MPH, so relatively similar. A 2002-2005 Stage II WRX will do about 13.8 @ 100 MPH in the quarter. Despite what has been stated, a stage II 2006-2007 WRX will NOT out-accelerate a stock STi, which will do the quarter mile in 13.0 @ 104 MPH.
    Last edited by zax; 05-07-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

one of my buddies has a stageII wagon and another has a stock 09 so I'll have them race and post updates. the 2009 is an awesome car I just dont care for the looks 08+ but thats just me....

Banned
    fastest stock 09 wrx to date is 12.9 at 104 by a 65 year old man with 45 years under his belt on Nasioc. i heard an "STI" i think 07 maybe an 08 went 12.9 also bone stock. as for me bone stock i did 13.3 at 100. all are pretty smokin times for stock cars. just some info for ya

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    fastest stock 09 wrx to date is 12.9 at 104 by a 65 year old man with 45 years under his belt on Nasioc. i heard an "STI" i think 07 maybe an 08 went 12.9 also bone stock. as for me bone stock i did 13.3 at 100. all are pretty smokin times for stock cars. just some info for ya
    friend of mine took his stock 04 sti to 12.9@101
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by alphaomega0 View Post
    what would you base your answer on? i mean on average a stage 2 on a 2.5l would get you around 210 to 230whp right? so let say with 50hp power lose on the 09 it would get you around 210 whp wouldnt it be pretty close to a stage 2?

on the look side i tend to agree but i guess its all a personal preference, since i own a 07 i think its the best looking rex so far and some people find the 05 better, but the new ones damn, it looks like every other car out there and its not that original ,IMO

i cant wait to see what they put out on a stage 2, must be something like a stage 2 sti, and you can get there much cheaper than you and i could
    I've seen a couple of dynos with stock 06-07 wrx's and they put down from 202-208whp so with a stage 2 it would be around 230-250whp...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    I've seen a couple of dynos with stock 06-07 wrx's and they put down from 202-208whp so with a stage 2 it would be around 230-250whp...
    yeah, I've seen similar as well. On the low-reading mustang dyno, Cobb associates have rated a stock 2006-2007 WRX at 197 whp. Stock 2002-2005 WRX pulled in around 170 whp. w/ stage II tune, 2002-2005 2.0L puts down approx. 225-235 whp, while a stage II 2006-2007 WRX puts down around the same (230 whp) depending on the tune. However, I've seen dyno pulls on a stock 2009+ WRX that are around 235-240 whp (to me this doesn't make much sense considering that the STi puts down around 235-240 whp, unless the DCCD robs about 6% of drivetrain loss). I guess the only way to find out for sure is to have someone here put a stock 2009+ WRX on a Mustang dyno and report the numbers...

EDIT:
    replace the output shaft and diffs with a 4.4 f/d ratio, and even a stock EJ205 2002 WRX can blast into the 12s, though you are sacrificing a lot of drivability
    Last edited by zax; 05-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

I want to go stage 2 on my '09 Sti soooo bad but I don't want to Kill my warranty. I also want to hear a TBE in person and I don't know anybody who has one. I really don't want it to loud. More concerned with in cabin drone.
    '09 Sti

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    yeah, I've seen similar as well. On the low-reading mustang dyno, Cobb associates have rated a stock 2006-2007 WRX at 197 whp. Stock 2002-2005 WRX pulled in around 170 whp. w/ stage II tune, 2002-2005 2.0L puts down approx. 225-235 whp, while a stage II 2006-2007 WRX puts down around the same (230 whp) depending on the tune. However, I've seen dyno pulls on a stock 2009+ WRX that are around 235-240 whp (to me this doesn't make much sense considering that the STi puts down around 235-240 whp, unless the DCCD robs about 6% of drivetrain loss). I guess the only way to find out for sure is to have someone here put a stock 2009+ WRX on a Mustang dyno and report the numbers...

EDIT:
    replace the output shaft and diffs with a 4.4 f/d ratio, and even a stock EJ205 2002 WRX can blast into the 12s, though you are sacrificing a lot of drivability
    I've seen some stock sti dynos (04-07) put down from 230-260 too... so I guess its all in the tune... I was reading a thread the other day and donkey's wrx ran a 12.45 in the quater with the stock turbo. I thought that was really impresive... I wish I lived in his area then he could give me some pointers..lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel79 View Post
    I want to go stage 2 on my '09 Sti soooo bad but I don't want to Kill my warranty. I also want to hear a TBE in person and I don't know anybody who has one. I really don't want it to loud. More concerned with in cabin drone.
    It really sucks that Subaru doesn't offer a factory stage II package. Hell, Chevy offers it in the Cobalt SS and Dodge offered it in the SRT-4 Mopar packages. Come on Subaru, stay with the times!

I also want to hear a TBE in person and I don't know anybody who has one. I really don't want it to loud. More concerned with in cabin drone.
    I hated the drone on my Invidia TBE. At highway speeds around 3000 RPM it was just obnoxious... then again, I had a catless straight-through system without the resonator.

Facebook me here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    friend of mine took his stock 04 sti to 12.9@101
    wow, thats movin!

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    bone stock 09's put down around 230hp at my dyno. its a dynojet but they tested it back to back with the mustang down the street. the dynojet reads within 0-5hp. its a really low reading dyno. even if there both off, i like just knowing the power increase from the work ive done. 1/4 mile is up to bat next because thoughs numbers are "kinda" universal.

you cant kill a warranty. SOA has to prove that something you did made something break. if you went stage 2 and your motor blew they have to have prove it was the parts and tune. now they also cant void your warranty. if you put a new motor in and your radio blew, that has nothing to do with going stage 2 so they have to fix that at least. worst case, take your parts off, put your stock stuff back on and go to the dealer. they can tell you flashed the ECU to stage 2 but i really really dont think a stock STI pulling in there gonna go nuts. most dealers are pretty cool and have your back. plus motors and stuff really never break under normal conditions and a GOOD tune will make sure of it!

TurboXS is loud but has no drone. Invidia and Borla make a quite exhaust. TurboXS is comming out with a quiter one and COBB and SPT are on the quite side.
    Last edited by synolimit; 05-16-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Uhm, I wouldn't roll the dice with warranty and Subaru.

While in theory they have to prove that it was the part which caused a failure, you are the one who will have to pay an attorney to push through the process. . . and it will quickly cost more than it costs to replace whatever part broke.

you cant kill a warranty. SOA has to prove that something you did made something break. if you went stage 2 and your motor blew they have to have prove it was the parts and tune. now they also cant void your warranty. if you put a new motor in and your radio blew, that has nothing to do with going stage 2 so they have to fix that at least. worst case, take your parts off, put your stock stuff back on and go to the dealer. they can tell you flashed the ECU to stage 2 but i really really dont think a stock STI pulling in there gonna go nuts. most dealers are pretty cool and have your back. plus motors and stuff really never break under normal conditions and a GOOD tune will make sure of it!
    Good luck with that...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Good luck with that...
    3 years at a dealership and knowing how things work and not doing anything illegal or against a code of ethics, im not worried

I Support ClubWRX
    3 years at a dealership and knowing how things work and not doing anything illegal or against a code of ethics, im not worried
    You may not be aware of the history with the WRX and Subaru not honoring warranties. It was talked about a lot back in the 2002-2004 time frame.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast