Stage 2 WTX vs 6.0 GTO.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 WTX vs 6.0 GTO. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Supposed to be WRX in the title... Hey guys, new member here (don't have a wrx, actually have the 6.0 ...

Stage 2 WTX vs 6.0 GTO.

Supposed to be WRX in the title...

Hey guys, new member here (don't have a wrx, actually have the 6.0 GTO if you couldn't tell). Anyway, my roomate has I believe a stage 2 2002 wrx sedan (don't really know what that means) and we've been talking about running our cars lately. I myself have no clue when it comes to imports, especially subbies...and he's the same way with american cars. So as you can see we don't know much about eachothers car and the race outcome is all specualtion.

I mean we can look at the number stock 3700lbs 400 hp vs. 3100lbs 227 hp, but I've got a tune and exhaust done and he has his stage 2. Neither of us have been on a dyno nor ran at the track. So what do you guys see happening if we run them? I have the auto 4 speed and he has the awd manual 5 speed.

On a side note, our other roomate has been in both our cars as a passenger, and he swears that the subbie pulls much harder than mine, especially down low, which I can see given the awd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Assuming that your friend can drive his car pretty well:
    At the track, he'll probably get you off the line, and then you'll likely reel him in and pass him before the end of the quarter.

Pure speculation, of course. At stage 2, he should be pushing 260-285hp at the crank. It makes for a very driveable, fun car...but it's not a 6 liter V8 by any stretch. I also don't know if your having the automatic is a big penalty in those cars.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It's not really...only from very specific roll starts (which get considerably less with a tune which I have). Launching is much easier with the auto. Supposedly automatics run high 12s to low 13s stock at sea level with 2.0 - 2.1 60fts. What would a stage 2 run? He is a pretty good driver btw.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm no database of quarter mile times, but I think most 2.0 liter stage 2 guys run in the mid-13's, with a few exceptional cars/drivers doing better.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Assuming that your friend can drive his car pretty well:
    At the track, he'll probably get you off the line, and then you'll likely reel him in and pass him before the end of the quarter.

Pure speculation, of course. At stage 2, he should be pushing 260-285hp at the crank. It makes for a very driveable, fun car...but it's not a 6 liter V8 by any stretch. I also don't know if your having the automatic is a big penalty in those cars.
    I think you're probably not that far off -- it'll be a dang close race at the end depending on how much of a tune the GTO has taken, and what Stage 2 he's talking about (and how much he's done on the computer side of things).

I ran against a few of the new (stock) GTOs before I sold my Evo MR. I was surprised to beat them, on paper it shouldn't have happened. I figure an Evo isn't much faster (if at all) in the quarter than a truly Stage 2 WRX. IIRC the main issue the GTOs were having was hookup. I was, I admit, though, a little surprised to see that the high end on the GTO wasn't better. I always expected them to pull much harder once they got the traction under control and hit 50mph or so -- but it didn't seem to happen. I suppose it's a pretty decent amount of weight that they're pulling.

Great cars, though, and it'd certainly be a fun and fair matchup.

u will smoke him.

Since both of u have never been to the strip, u have a big advantage being an automatic. Everybody's first time at the track, first run will always suck, especially using stickshift. He will probably bog at the line, and u will just leave him in the dust.
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 10-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Drivers being equal, the GTO will trounce the WRX in every straight line sanctioned race event you can come up with. The GTO will pull on the WRX to the tune of at least 4 car lengths in the 1/4. Don't even talk about frumaroll racing...it won't be close at all.

The WRX will need at least 300 hp to the wheels to stand a chance. Been there...done that.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Thumbs up

The GTO with exhaust (just catback) and tune should be trapping around 105-107 mph. The Stage 2 WRX will be around 99-101 mph. Subtract a few mph from each if the weather sucks...

The WRX can get a good launch, of course, and jump out at the start with a 1.8x 60' with a good driver, but the GTO with a 2.0x or 2.1x 60' should start reeling it in quickly thereafter. It's easy to bog a launch in the WRX, though, whereas the gobs of torque in the LS2 allow the driver to come out at idle without penalty. With the GTO, be careful of wheelhop at the track. You'll likely have that instead of wheelspin, so feather the gas a bit if necessary. That can be tough to do, though, when you see an AWD car jump out in front of you. The natural reaction is to simply mash the gas to catch up, but you may have to wait until 2nd gear to give it 100% throttle. Get a feel for the track conditions and how the car is hooking...

The roommate passenger offering his opinion of which car feels faster is likely noticing the turbo kicking in on the WRX and feeling that dramatic change. Whereas the constant locomotive pull of torque in the GTO merely has that continual push in the back that is more subtle, yet more powerful.

Anyway, have fun!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Banned
    According to edmunds...
    "Equipped with the LS1 V8 rated for 350 hp and 365 pound-feet of torque, 2004 models could get to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and blaze through a quarter-mile in 14 seconds flat -- quicker than any of the original GTOs. More impressive were the 2005 and '06 models, which had the 6.0-liter V8. Rated for 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque, these models shaved more than half a second off that quarter-mile time."

That puts the stock beast at a very low 13. With you're tune and automatic I would say 12.8-13.1. You will murder the WRX after 30-50 mph, if he knows his launches.

You'd kill the WRX. Being an auto, he might be able to get a jump on you in some of your lesser powerband situations, but only temporarily.

You could give him a break by leaving the TC button on

If he fires back with "yeah, but I'd kill you in the twisties", tell him you just placed a huge Pedders order

Winter is coming, so be careful, especially on exit ramps. Too many auto GTOs are written up toasted on LS1GTO.com that time of year. Sometimes that tranny downshifts when you don't want it to.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

ive beaten a stock GTO 4 spd, i have a stg2 07 WRX. like, smoked him lol.
    so idk how much a tune will do.
    07 WRX CGM, blouch tdo6 18g and supporting mods. Defi racer series gauges, some other random stuff.
    04 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CC Silver (Sold and missed)

HAWK EYED ALLIANCE #686

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch64 View Post
    ive beaten a stock GTO 4 spd, i have a stg2 07 WRX. like, smoked him lol.
    so idk how much a tune will do.
    Ricer flybys don't count...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Banned
    a 6.0 will rape a stage 2 wrx. in 6 spd, i have no idea about autos

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Drivers being equal, the GTO will trounce the WRX in every straight line sanctioned race event you can come up with. The GTO will pull on the WRX to the tune of at least 4 car lengths in the 1/4. Don't even talk about frumaroll racing...it won't be close at all.

The WRX will need at least 300 hp to the wheels to stand a chance. Been there...done that.
    Couple weeks ago a 50+ guy rolled up at 50 ish mph in a 6.0. I saw him weaving through traffic just to get to me. I amused him with a couple good pulls. I got a slightly modded 07 STi and pulled on him hard. Have no idea if it was a auto or not, but they need serious power to overcome being a fat pig. That "silver fox" that tried me was educated for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill9578 View Post
    Couple weeks ago a 50+ guy rolled up at 50 ish mph in a 6.0. I saw him weaving through traffic just to get to me. I amused him with a couple good pulls. I got a slightly modded 07 STi and pulled on him hard. Have no idea if it was a auto or not, but they need serious power to overcome being a fat pig. That "silver fox" that tried me was educated for sure.
    That's cool. I've put bus-lengths on a Stg 1 STI before, on a couple rolls, so go figure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast