bugeye wrx or audi b5 s4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on bugeye wrx or audi b5 s4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm intereted in buying a used car and am thinking between the bugeye wrx's or an audi b5 s4 (2001-2002's) ...

bugeye wrx or audi b5 s4

I'm intereted in buying a used car and am thinking between the bugeye wrx's or an audi b5 s4 (2001-2002's) I don't have that much money and wouldnt plan on completely modding these cars but in honest opinions what do you think would win in a 1/4 mile, the S4 with an intake,exhaust, and chip (which is supposed to add gobs of power) or the wrx with an intake, exhaust, and cobb accessport
    thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    I'm intereted in buying a used car and am thinking between the bugeye wrx's or an audi b5 s4 (2001-2002's) I don't have that much money and wouldnt plan on completely modding these cars but in honest opinions what do you think would win in a 1/4 mile, the S4 with an intake,exhaust, and chip (which is supposed to add gobs of power) or the wrx with an intake, exhaust, and cobb accessport
    thanks.
    s4 all the way

I Support ClubWRX
    Audi's have a poor rep once you start getting high in miles. They are the kind of issues that if you ask me plaque being an owner. Electrical issues with a highly electronic car is not a good thing.

With that being said the WRX are pretty stout. If the previous owner maintained it and didnt abuse it you should not have any issues. There is always the "weak" tranny thing to think about through.

There have been several 100k miles EJ205's with no issues whatever. One has recently went 200k miles.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    my brother works for audi and i can tell you first hand- the older s4's are just a nightmare waiting to happen. if it doesnt have a warranty on it- do not buy it.

i'm not being biased either just because i have a subaru- my whole family has audi/vdubs and they're great, fun cars (if you're buying new)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    my brother works for audi and i can tell you first hand- the older s4's are just a nightmare waiting to happen. if it doesnt have a warranty on it- do not buy it.

i'm not being biased either just because i have a subaru- my whole family has audi/vdubs and they're great, fun cars (if you're buying new)
    true, they are very expensive to fix as well. from just a power standpoint I would take the s4 over a reg wrx though

was gonna buy a b5 s4 before i got the STI... everything stated above is true. they are sick cars but the dependability is just not there when the miles are high.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

S4's are sweet cars, but reliability on 2001/2002's is horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    true, they are very expensive to fix as well. from just a power standpoint I would take the s4 over a reg wrx though
    I must agree I raced an S4 when my LGT was new. And I was owned.
    "I Stare At The Sun & The Stars."

"Subaru Shirts"

I own both and they are completely different cars. My S4 is stage 2+ so it's only got 330HP or so. A built WRX will kill it, much lighter. The cost and issues of S4's are real. But in the end it's a semi luxury car where the Impreza is an econobox.

I've heard that with just a new map or a chip I think it was the tmci chip the s4 gains 100hp right there... they are awesome cars and I almost did buy 1 till I read up about them... eveyone had turbos going out and some transmission problems... id go for the bugeye cause it embodies everything that I love about the wrx AWD, turbo boxer motor, and raw fun driveability!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    I've heard that with just a new map or a chip I think it was the tmci chip the s4 gains 100hp right there... they are awesome cars and I almost did buy 1 till I read up about them... eveyone had turbos going out and some transmission problems... id go for the bugeye cause it embodies everything that I love about the wrx AWD, turbo boxer motor, and raw fun driveability!!
    I went from stock 250 to roughly 330 with a APR tune, full exhaust, bigger IC's, AWE filter. The next jump is stage 3 which is 450 minimum depending on what you do. I still have the stock K03 turbos and luckily they are holding up at 107k miles. I can't believe how easy it is to work on the subie. The Audi is a major PITA for anything because they crammed that V6 in a spot meant for a 1.8 four.
    Last edited by SurferD; 04-20-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Damn... it just goes to show how detuned the s4's are from the factory... I've always liked them but I was afraid to buy 1 cause of part costs and reliablility issues... I wish they would've improved them and continued to use them cause it is such a great platform...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

With the problems my family's had with our B5 Passat V6 with 130k, I wouldn't touch an B5 S4 if you paid me.

Actually aside from modding, it's been trouble free. Mine's a 02 so it was the last of the B5's so maybe they finally got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Damn... it just goes to show how detuned the s4's are from the factory... I've always liked them but I was afraid to buy 1 cause of part costs and reliablility issues... I wish they would've improved them and continued to use them cause it is such a great platform...
    The europe only B5 RS4 made 380 stock. Yeah when they went to the B6's with a V8 it became more of a luxo liner than real drivers car. Plus the V8 is hardly tunable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast