540i vs 05 STI - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 540i vs 05 STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i have 3 friends with 540i's, a 1998, 1999 sport, and a 1997. the 98 is a 6 spd with ...

i have 3 friends with 540i's, a 1998, 1999 sport, and a 1997. the 98 is a 6 spd with the different plenom for top end (stock), the 99 is an auto and has the plenom for bottom end (stock). i drive an 03 wrx with intake, up, dp, catback, stage 2 map, and koyo radiator. i have raced the 99 multiple times, from a dig i rape him, from a roll i put a legnth on him up to 100, and past 100 he starts pulling me in. keep in mind im at 5600 ft elevation too. With the 98, i pull him harder up to 100 but past 100 he pulls me harder than the 99. havnt really raced the 97 much but im sure it would be similar to the 98. dont underestimate them 540's...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Really depends on how long you want stay on it.
    I dont know if any of you remember the old road and track 0-150-0 test? Viper, muricialago, 360 modena, LS1 Camaro SS, 540i.

at 120mph the 540i left the 300whp Ls1 in its wake. Lesson learned??? Gearing.

If your stock, i could see you losing this one IF you dont go from a dig.
    Last edited by Anzioblack44; 10-18-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

at 120mph the 540i left the 300whp Ls1 in its wake. Lesson learned??? Gearing.

If your stock, i could see you losing this one IF you dont go from a dig.
    Are you serious? vs a 300WHP LS1????
    282 @ 5700 -HP vs. 300WHP @ crank=350ish?
    310 @ 3900 -TQ vs ????? TQ
    5-speed manual vs 6-speed manual

With the BMW having a curb weight at least 200lbs heavier.....um....

the 1998 BMW 540i has a top speed of 154.8 mph according to BMW 540, 1998 540 Pictures, News, Reviews, and Info | Conceptcarz.com - Pictures, Wallpaper, Pricing, Information, History

I KNOW from having a good friend that owns a LS1 powered camaro with roughly 310whp that top speed is over 160 but google can always help that too....dont just wanna rely on heresay...1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Modern Racer - Auto Archive

How many of you have ever driven the cars in question? I've spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of a 540 and own an STi. The STi is a much faster car, but anybody that knocks the 540 is just talking nonsense. It's an outstanding car that is powerful, handles well, and has a pretty darn nice interior that blows away the STi. Many people that drive them are car enthusiasts like many of us. I seriously looked at the 540 when I looked at the STi. Overall, BMW just makes some very nice performance-oriented cars that consistently rank among the best in the world in their classes.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    How many of you have ever driven the cars in question? I've spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of a 540 and own an STi. The STi is a much faster car, but anybody that knocks the 540 is just talking nonsense. It's an outstanding car that is powerful, handles well, and has a pretty darn nice interior that blows away the STi. Many people that drive them are car enthusiasts like many of us. I seriously looked at the 540 when I looked at the STi. Overall, BMW just makes some very nice performance-oriented cars that consistently rank among the best in the world in their classes.
    Scott jumps in to spoil the boyracer demographic..
    I looked hard at a 540 6-speed that was for sale in my area a few years ago. Wonderful car.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    One of my coworkers owns and 540i 6 speed and is really nice. He hes a bunch of suspension mods and a borla exhaust. I race him when I was stock and he owned me, than I got a TBE but untuned and he still owned me, then I and AP and we where equal, Now I have a VF39 and I pull him 1 or 2 car but not much. I'm getting protune with E85 in 11/24 I think I will rape him .

All the races where from 40-60 to ...
    I have a 07 WRX

Car and Driver 2000
    "Strong pull at high speed helped the 540i six-speed beat some tall odds. Its
    282-hp rating was the weakest of the stockers, and its power-to-weight and
    power-to-aerodynamic-drag figures were the poorest. But gearing kept its
    4.4-liter V-8 near the power peak at 150 mph, which helped the BMW move from
    last place at 130 mph to a fourth-place finish by 150 mph. Strong, firm
    brakes hauled the 540i down in 796 feet, anti-locking all the way."
    "The Camaro Z28 SS uses the same engine (making 25 fewer horses) and the same
    gear ratios as the Corvette, and indeed, it ran within a half-second of its
    stablemate to 100 mph. But after that, the gap widened because of the SS's
    higher drag coefficient (0.34 versus 0.29) and larger frontal area. Smaller
    tires on the Camaro prompted an earlier shift into the dreaded fifth gear,
    which extended the interval between 130 and 150 mph. Braking was strong and
    stable at 772 feet from 150 mph, topping the Eurosedans and the Vipers.
    Priced at a fraction of the cost of the other stockers, the Z28 SS finished
    sixth, but it was the easy winner in the unofficial bang-for-the-buck
    category."

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    Are you serious? vs a 300WHP LS1????
    282 @ 5700 -HP vs. 300WHP @ crank=350ish?
    310 @ 3900 -TQ vs ????? TQ
    5-speed manual vs 6-speed manual

With the BMW having a curb weight at least 200lbs heavier.....um....

the 1998 BMW 540i has a top speed of 154.8 mph according to BMW 540, 1998 540 Pictures, News, Reviews, and Info | Conceptcarz.com - Pictures, Wallpaper, Pricing, Information, History

I KNOW from having a good friend that owns a LS1 powered camaro with roughly 310whp that top speed is over 160 but google can always help that too....dont just wanna rely on heresay...1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Modern Racer - Auto Archive
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Car and Driver 2000
    "Strong pull at high speed helped the 540i six-speed beat some tall odds. Its
    282-hp rating was the weakest of the stockers, and its power-to-weight and
    power-to-aerodynamic-drag figures were the poorest. But gearing kept its
    4.4-liter V-8 near the power peak at 150 mph, which helped the BMW move from
    last place at 130 mph to a fourth-place finish by 150 mph. Strong, firm
    brakes hauled the 540i down in 796 feet, anti-locking all the way."
    "The Camaro Z28 SS uses the same engine (making 25 fewer horses) and the same
    gear ratios as the Corvette, and indeed, it ran within a half-second of its
    stablemate to 100 mph. But after that, the gap widened because of the SS's
    higher drag coefficient (0.34 versus 0.29) and larger frontal area. Smaller
    tires on the Camaro prompted an earlier shift into the dreaded fifth gear,
    which extended the interval between 130 and 150 mph. Braking was strong and
    stable at 772 feet from 150 mph, topping the Eurosedans and the Vipers.
    Priced at a fraction of the cost of the other stockers, the Z28 SS finished
    sixth, but it was the easy winner in the unofficial bang-for-the-buck
    category."
    What month of Car and Driver in 2000 was this article in?
    Last edited by speedemn; 12-07-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Am I the only one here that would not take a M3 over an STI? Don't get me wrong, its a great car but honestly it's not a god car or anything. Maybe if I were to have a track car I would go for a M3 but daily...my STI is perfect for all conditions and just plain looks better.

I would take a new one for free and sell it to pay off an STI and get some mods making it do circles around any year M3.

Oh but I was looking into a 335xi awhile back and 300 hp at a large rev range does seem nice even if it is heavier then my STI. mmmm twin turbo.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

Your running out of the bank with the money bag under your arm and the alarms going off. Your get-away driver betrays you and takes off without you. In front of you, stopped at light, is an M3 and an STI. Which one do you carjack?
    Last edited by Pavia; 12-08-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

sti. i can jump curbs and go offroad
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    An AVERAGE STI not a rally STI. You take a curb with a STI and you will blow a few tires, crack the rims and break the suspension.

And if both were new and I could sell it...M3 and buy a STI and make a profit. If I couldn't sell it...STI.

I don't know how the new M3 compares on the track to a STI considering they added that V8 and made it a boat. I liked the idea of the old M3 that was the light performance car and the M5 and 6 were their boat performance cars. Then again I shouldn't be calling them boats considering I don't know how they handle.

Not to mention I am not a professional driver so trying to get away in an AWD vehicle would be easier then a RWD one in my opinion. Then again the STI is a lot more noticeable.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

I Support ClubWRX
    I am sooooo glad you jumped in here. They deserved that!

Love the new avatar.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Scott jumps in to spoil the boyracer demographic..
    I looked hard at a 540 6-speed that was for sale in my area a few years ago. Wonderful car.
    I really wanted the same car Ray and drove a couple, but then realized it wouldn't be fast enough, and aftermarket accessories and go fast bits would cost me a large fortune.

To add 70HP from Dinan was around $10,000.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    OT: With all the power you have pumped out of your SRT, how do you combat torque steer? Bigger biceps?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.