Subaru vs. VW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru vs. VW within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So im in the market for a new car. Ive found two that really caught my interest: 2006 Subaru Impreza ...

Subaru vs. VW

So im in the market for a new car. Ive found two that really caught my interest:

2006 Subaru Impreza Wrx Limited Hatchback
    6 Speed Manual
    Silver with black leather interior
    2.5L Turbo 230hp 235 ft.lbs torque
    27,841 Miles
    Asking: $21,999

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Gli
    6 Speed Manual
    Red with black leather interior
    2.0L Turbo 200hp 207 ft.lbs torque
    17,127 Miles
    Asking 20,999

Any Experience with either Car?
    Looking for some opinions
    Last edited by gonephishin32; 08-04-2008 at 03:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well besides they never made a 2006 wrx hatcback with a six speed 2.0 motor with 230 HP.....I see no issues.

Seriously...I'd reconsider website shopping if that is what is posted.

Without over looking both cars for their mechinical condition no one can say what is a better buy. With that in mind I wouldnt pay 22k for that wrx. Even if it's a limited that's only 2k-4k less then what it was new.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Yea that was my fault. I meant 2.5L and yea it is a limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Okay so it's now either not stock or it doesnt have a six speed. Some LTD's came with Auto's and others have five speeds.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

yea i need to go check this car out in person because its listed as a 6 speed but looking at the pictures it appears to only have a 5 speed. It also has dual tip exhaust which cant be stock either yet that isn't mentioned on the site either.

Determining extended properties...

first car under subaru

third under VW

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    well besides they never made a 2006 wrx hatcback with a six speed 2.0 motor with 230 hp.....i see no issues.

Seriously...i'd reconsider website shopping if that is what is posted.

Without over looking both cars for their mechinical condition no one can say what is a better buy. With that in mind i wouldnt pay 22k for that wrx. Even if it's a limited that's only 2k-4k less then what it was new.
    +1
    TDC stg. 04 WrX Wagone

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Well besides they never made a 2006 wrx hatcback with a six speed 2.0 motor with 230 HP.....I see no issues.

Seriously...I'd reconsider website shopping if that is what is posted.

Without over looking both cars for their mechinical condition no one can say what is a better buy. With that in mind I wouldnt pay 22k for that wrx. Even if it's a limited that's only 2k-4k less then what it was new.
    + another 1. I paid $2K more for my 05 STi and it had 7500 less miles.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

The Subaru will treat you quite well, and is obviously a great car. That being said, I bought my wife an '06 VW GLI about a year and a half ago, and it's a really nice car. The 2.0TFSI is a quick motor for stock. It pulls really nicely and there is almost no lag. Also, the aftermarket is big for that motor and there are a lot of options for ECU tuning that yields big results. However, our GLI is still stock. The leather interior is awesome and the seats are really comfortable. The only bad thing about the GLI is that it's only FWD. I can spin the tires very easily with the traction control off. AWD will always be my preference for drivetrain layout.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

from the looks of it. the wrx in that pic has an aftermarket exhaust, borla perhaps? or the dealership switched out the exhaust for an older wrx exhuast.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

wrx limited 07

Shop more especially now with gas prices getting higher and the new body styles. You should get a better deal. I bought mine brand new after being a stubborn ass. I bought mine at Carter in Seattle. They wanted 29K, I paid 25,500 for it brand spanking new; it's an 07 limited wrx wagon. Just Went to smart subaru service in shorline yesterday. I went stage II. Cobb ap, cobb turbo back exhaust with down pipe and no cat. WOW, I can't believe I waited 20,000 miles before installing. It's like having a brand new car. So much better. I was going to buy a new bmw 135I, but that would have got me a divorce, so I told the other half, I'm going to get exhaust on my car. Thank god I have a separate bank account.lol

tod
    My wife owned a new Jetta - for 15 months. Five trips to the dealership later (and horrible customer service), we took the hit and dumped that steaming pile of poo.

By the way, our next door neighbor made it to two years before they ditched their new Jetta.

To exemplify late model VW's, there was a class action lawsuit filed against VW for window regulator failures in 2002. It included all Jettas sold in the U.S. up to that date. Now, I would have thought that in the 18 or so years (I'm not exactly sure when they started selling them in America) they had been importing these cars, someone at Volkswagon would have 1) realized there was a problem and 2)done something about it!
    Last edited by tod; 08-22-2008 at 11:10 PM.

OMG OMG OMG
    STAY, I REPEAT, STAY AWAY FROM CARVISION
    i live in norristown, and i bought a car from them back in may. i actually traded in my 05 wrx for an 04 maxima that "appeared" to be in fantastic condition.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...s-remorse.html
    after a few problems i experienced, i learned that the car had been painted and they did not disclose to me that it had been painted. nothing was on the carfax either...and since since the car looked so impressive when i got it, it must have been a recent paint job...meaning they painted it. i found this out when i actually took the maxima to another dealer and ended up trading that ****er in for an 08 wrx at a great price of 20.8k with 3k miles on it. the appraiser, who was an awesome guy, pointed out some fish-eyes that were not visible to me before and i swear i have a high attention to detail when it comes to cars.
    so yea, it could have been in a wreck, been keyed, who knows. the ppl at carvision are *******s and would not recommend them to my worst enemy. the check engine light came on 3 days after purchase, had starting problems, etc etc...gave me the runaround, still havent sent the title to my lienholder and its been 3 months...
    read some of their reviews Car Vision - Used Car Dealer - Dealership Ratings

if ur familiar with norristown, go over to main st and elm st...carvision has a little location there where i believe they fix up the busted cars and sell them at their main location on trooper road
    Last edited by greenc51; 08-23-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typos

Banned
    YouTube - They Might Be Giants - Turn Around

Buy my old wagon from Fred Beans :-p

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    YouTube - They Might Be Giants - Turn Around

Buy my old wagon from Fred Beans :-p
    go to rafferty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast