STI vs MS3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs MS3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Trying to avoid buying a MS3 (owned by ford, which is typically a huge no no for me), and joining ...

STI vs MS3

Trying to avoid buying a MS3 (owned by ford, which is typically a huge no no for me), and joining the cult my friends seem to be starting now...

I can find a used STI, usually 05's and 06's in a comparable price range to a new MS3. I don't mind the extra milage, my question is:

Stock, what has the STI got over the MS3 that would convince me to pick one up over it? Off the line, it seems like the STI's a little bit faster. Handling, should it handle better in fast turns? On a roll, why does it seem like the STI is so much slower than a car that's 10k less sticker?

Drove an STI today, grant you the suspension seemed to have been made softer and the tires were pretty crappy, but in terms of acceleration and handling, it was a major disappointment compared to the MS3. What gives? Was it just a crappy STI, or does an STI struggle to compete with a car a whole pricing/performance rated tier below it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock for stock an STI should murder an MS3 in all categories. Someone correct me if I am wrong. AWD>FWD anyday imo

One word.....torquesteer (or is that two words ). Also, if you plan on modding, the MS3 will only get worse with the more power you throw at it. Plus it's FWD which sux no matter how you look at it. My $.02
    2003 Sonic Yellow WRX - R.I.P.
    2001 Turbo Lexus IS300 - R.I.P.
    2006 WRB/Gold STI ~ stage 2 - Sold
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha - Sold
    2006 AW Subaru STI....with a few mods

STi all the way. I don't know if you drove a weak STi or what, but it definitely shouldn't have felt slow compared to a MS3. My buddy was looking at a MS6 and wanted to test out the MS3 just to compare the two and so I got to drive one. I was impressed with the thrust and very decent handling (especially for fwd) but not to the same level as I was after driving an STi. The strange tq/hp limiting the MS3 does to try and eliminate torquesteer (it doesn't btw, not completely) during hard acceleration from low speed or a stop is pretty ****ty feeling in my opinion. And I didn't take it on a track or drive it through anything too twisty so I can't speak for fwd understeer, but I guarantee it pokes it's ugly head out when you push it, much more so than the Suby.

As for the 10k price difference you're buying not only better performance in every category, but two other major things: Subaru reliability (versus Ford reliability; is that an oxymoron?) and proven performance. You can mod the hell out of an STi and it'll just smile and keep wanting more. It takes to it well and runs like a champ. Tons of aftermarket support too. Like someone else said, the fwd characteristics that ppl dislike will only get worse on the MS3 as you add more power. AWD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FWD.
    2005 WRB STi, protuned stage 2+

We live for fun, not forever

"Quantity has a quality all its own." –Josef Stalin

I am Jack's 300 turbocharged horses.

IBOMGSTI'sRULZALLz
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    IBOMGSTI'sRULZALLz
    yeah seriously.

Despite what everybody else said, buy the MS3. A used Sti is just gonna be ragged on anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

My freind has a MS3 and i can rape him from a dig but from a roll 50 and up he pulls pretty hard on me all he has done to it is down pipe, race pipe and intake, i have mid pipe, cat back and intake. His main problem is traction, all he does is spin lol AWD is way better

I Support ClubWRX
    Other then the AWD and possible handling the STI is pretty on par with a MS3.

Without a launch the STI is a 220-240whp car trying to pull 3,000+ lbs around. From a roll the MS3 is going to pull on it pretty hard.

I've heard from several OWNERS that torque steer is not an issue....I'll trust them over people who think all FWD cars torquesteer.

If you live in snow the STI is going to be the obvious choice...if not I'd HIGHLY consider a MS3.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Yea its got a limiter for the boost in 1st and 2nd so it will not torque steer and for traction reasons but in 3rd it has some torqe steering problems when i drove it it pulled hard to the left when u gun it. but other than that its a really nice car id take one any day

to me, you can't say that a ms3 is a better all-around car than an STi.

Something about being able to slap springs and sways on a subie and allowing the car to be thrown around like a go kart is very appealing to me

subie ftw.. awd > Fwd... always..

I Support ClubWRX
    Handling between the ms3 and STi is a toss up. Between the two though, the handling approach is definately different, and it will take an expereinced driver to get the same lap times with both cars. They ARE DIFFERENT.

AWD > FWD for launching and traction. For lap racing, it's down to the driver.

ms3 is actually louder in-cabin than the STi. I hated that droning noise from the exhaust that was only amplified by the ms3 hatchback design. Makes me wonder if the 08 STi has the same issue? Don't know as I haven't driven one yet.

STi way better than ms3 for modding purposes.

Both are going to close for maintenance, but I'd wager you will go through tires much quicker on the ms3, and they are at least as expensive as an STi's.

Reliability---I'd say pretty close actually, but Mazda does have a history for turbo's not lasting a long time, whereas Subaru just keeps on going, going, going.

Gas mileage...ms3 will have it all over the STi...lower frictional losses and lighter car.

Bottom line, there is no question, if given the choice between a used STi and a new ms3, the STi would be my choice. If there are doubts because some folks persist in thinking that all STi's are "ragged on", just do a concientious check of the car with a qualified mechanic and there should be no issues.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    yeah seriously.

Despite what everybody else said, buy the MS3. A used Sti is just gonna be ragged on anyway.
    Just because its an STi doesn't mean it will be "ragged," some of us actually take care of our cars.

And Subaru>Mazda all day
    2004 Aspen White STi Mac Tuned Stage 2 *304whp/345wtq* (SOLD)
    2003 WRB WRX: VF30'd w/ XPT tune (TRADED!)
    2002 Berlina Black S2000: Mugen Exhaust (GONE)

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Scobbie View Post
    Just because its an STi doesn't mean it will be "ragged," some of us actually take care of our cars.

And Subaru>Mazda all day
    My statement was obviously a grotesque generalization. But yes, I do realize some examples are well maintained.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Scobbie View Post

And Subaru>Mazda all day
    if you can find 2 FD's..... I'd take those over an STi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast