Subaru WRX Forum banner

STI vs MS3

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  CaRboNaDo 
#1 ·
Trying to avoid buying a MS3 (owned by ford, which is typically a huge no no for me), and joining the cult my friends seem to be starting now...

I can find a used STI, usually 05's and 06's in a comparable price range to a new MS3. I don't mind the extra milage, my question is:

Stock, what has the STI got over the MS3 that would convince me to pick one up over it? Off the line, it seems like the STI's a little bit faster. Handling, should it handle better in fast turns? On a roll, why does it seem like the STI is so much slower than a car that's 10k less sticker?

Drove an STI today, grant you the suspension seemed to have been made softer and the tires were pretty crappy, but in terms of acceleration and handling, it was a major disappointment compared to the MS3. What gives? Was it just a crappy STI, or does an STI struggle to compete with a car a whole pricing/performance rated tier below it?

#3 ·
One word.....torquesteer (or is that two words :D). Also, if you plan on modding, the MS3 will only get worse with the more power you throw at it. Plus it's FWD which sux no matter how you look at it. My $.02

#4 ·
STi all the way. I don't know if you drove a weak STi or what, but it definitely shouldn't have felt slow compared to a MS3. My buddy was looking at a MS6 and wanted to test out the MS3 just to compare the two and so I got to drive one. I was impressed with the thrust and very decent handling (especially for fwd) but not to the same level as I was after driving an STi. The strange tq/hp limiting the MS3 does to try and eliminate torquesteer (it doesn't btw, not completely) during hard acceleration from low speed or a stop is pretty ****ty feeling in my opinion. And I didn't take it on a track or drive it through anything too twisty so I can't speak for fwd understeer, but I guarantee it pokes it's ugly head out when you push it, much more so than the Suby.

As for the 10k price difference you're buying not only better performance in every category, but two other major things: Subaru reliability (versus Ford reliability; is that an oxymoron?) and proven performance. You can mod the hell out of an STi and it'll just smile and keep wanting more. It takes to it well and runs like a champ. Tons of aftermarket support too. Like someone else said, the fwd characteristics that ppl dislike will only get worse on the MS3 as you add more power. AWD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FWD.

#5 ·
IBOMGSTI'sRULZALLz

#8 ·
Other then the AWD and possible handling the STI is pretty on par with a MS3.

Without a launch the STI is a 220-240whp car trying to pull 3,000+ lbs around. From a roll the MS3 is going to pull on it pretty hard.

I've heard from several OWNERS that torque steer is not an issue....I'll trust them over people who think all FWD cars torquesteer.

If you live in snow the STI is going to be the obvious choice...if not I'd HIGHLY consider a MS3.

#12 ·
Handling between the ms3 and STi is a toss up. Between the two though, the handling approach is definately different, and it will take an expereinced driver to get the same lap times with both cars. They ARE DIFFERENT.

AWD > FWD for launching and traction. For lap racing, it's down to the driver.

ms3 is actually louder in-cabin than the STi. I hated that droning noise from the exhaust that was only amplified by the ms3 hatchback design. Makes me wonder if the 08 STi has the same issue? Don't know as I haven't driven one yet.

STi way better than ms3 for modding purposes.

Both are going to close for maintenance, but I'd wager you will go through tires much quicker on the ms3, and they are at least as expensive as an STi's.

Reliability---I'd say pretty close actually, but Mazda does have a history for turbo's not lasting a long time, whereas Subaru just keeps on going, going, going.

Gas mileage...ms3 will have it all over the STi...lower frictional losses and lighter car.

Bottom line, there is no question, if given the choice between a used STi and a new ms3, the STi would be my choice. If there are doubts because some folks persist in thinking that all STi's are "ragged on", just do a concientious check of the car with a qualified mechanic and there should be no issues.

#16 ·
I'd take a used STi over a MS3. I read your novel of a post in the car purchasing section. There was obviously something wrong with that STi you drove. Just by the description.. paint, interior, etc.... Try finding another one 04-07 and then make a decsion from there. Plus if you are trying to avoid buying a MS3then it doesn't sound like you are all that interested in owning one. Why drop the $$$$$ on a car that you aren't really crazy about to begin with. If you can't find an STi you like.... Try looking into the EVO IX (the last MY) after all the EVO is the arch-nemisis of the STi and for good reason. I'd take one of those over a MS3 any day... you still get the AWD to.

#17 ·
Yea I'd say there was possibly something wrong. I recall the 07's having bad mapping initially? and as a result Subaru offered a flash update, to which owners noticed a considerable power gains to what they should be. I think you honestly should test drive another STI before getting the wrong impression about them.

And agreed about not all STI's are ragged on. I'd say a good percentage owners in their late 20's or older take care of their STI's. You can't really judge because its a bargain performance car that every 18 year old has ran it into the ground and is selling it to you. Just use common sense and get the car checked out or inspected for yourself before you make a final decision.

I think if you plan to have the car a long time and do a few mods, you will greatly appreciate how well the Subie responds and holds up to them over the MS3.

GL with your purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.