Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stage 2 Rex Beat Evo8

7K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  DarkShocker WRX 
#1 ·
Ok. so last night i was hanging out with a couple car buddies and one of my friends with a Evo8 starts talking about racing me. So i said whatever lets just do it for fun..so we go from a 2nd gear 30 roll, long story short i pull on him about 2 or 3 car lengths. :rotfl:
he bought the evo for 25k and i bought my 02 wrx for 10k and basically embarassed him. gotta love stage 2!

#11 ·
nice no pics or vids ?

#25 ·
to clarify there is a huge difference between the 8 and 9. Larger turbo, different hotside and the Mivec. We are looking at a 30hp difference between the two. Not trying to argue with anyone, just stating the facts.
BTW, nice kill by the OP.

#26 ·
to clarify there is a huge difference between the 8 and 9. Larger turbo, different hotside and the Mivec. We are looking at a 30hp difference between the two.
Interesting; thanks for the detail.

#28 ·
Your numbers didn't really sound right to me, so I poked around a bit. This is from the wikipedia article about the models in question:
Mitsubishi introduced the Lancer Evolution IX in Japan on March 3, 2005,[6] and exhibited the car at the Geneva Motor Show for the European market the same day.[7] The North American markets saw the model exhibited at the New York International Auto Show the following month.[8] The 2.0 L 4G63 engine got MIVEC technology (variable valve timing), boosting official power output at the crankshaft to 286 hp (213 kW) and torque to 289 ft·lbf (392 N·m). The Evolution VIII first offered in 2003 would produce dynamometer readings of approximately 225 WHP and 225 lb·ft (305 N·m). WTQ with a flywheel power rating of 271/273 respectively. The Evolution IX typically pulls 255 WHP and 250 WTQ on a wheel dynamometer, a difference of 30 hp (22 kW).
Sounds like the dyno pulls confirm that the IX is a considerably more potent car from the factory.

#30 ·
Your numbers didn't really sound right to me, so I poked around a bit. This is from the wikipedia article about the models in question:

Sounds like the dyno pulls confirm that the IX is a considerably more potent car from the factory.
ok but still 271 vs 286. 15hp is 15hp don't get me wrong but I don't that would qualify as "much more potent." yes more but not too much or the 30 that was said before. Also I don't usaully use wikipedia b/c they don't have a good rep behind them

#37 ·
From an (ex, although we still have one in the garage) Evo IX owner I will say the IX is faster than the 8. How much faster really depends on the year 8 we're talking about. The 03-04's didn't have the 10.5 hotside, but the 2005 Evo did.

The IX did come with Mivec, revised stuff in the turbo (not sure on the specifics) and it had a slightly higher boost spike (not too sure if it held more boost to redline).

Take that for what you will, but the IX is definitely faster. A win is a win though.

#38 ·
The IX did come with Mivec, revised stuff in the turbo (not sure on the specifics) and it had a slightly higher boost spike (not too sure if it held more boost to redline).

Take that for what you will, but the IX is definitely faster. A win is a win though.
thats why it makes the power MIVEC and the 10.5 hotside... former VIII owner here but the way i made up the loss was a set of HKS 272's... no more falling on your face @ 5k. good kill but i think you ran into either a stock evo, a bad driver or both....

all he needs is a tbe, mbc, 10.5 hs and get rid of the plastic bov and replace it with one from a XI.. it will be a different car.

#42 ·
i bet spoli88 and Alirex02 are not friends, they are the same person, lol

#44 ·
um, no.

Both are twin-scroll, same mani. ..

Compressor housing shot IX left VIII right:

I believe it is 2005 > has a larger exhaust housing 10.4 to 9.8 or something close to that.

Stolen from EVOM:

Evolution 8
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR / USDM)
TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2 & NZDM) or 6MT:TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (model unknown)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
Turbine = USDM EVO 8 & JDM GSR =Inconel (steel alloy),
RS=Titanium alloy.
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

Evolution MR aka "8.5"
GSR = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T or TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option)
RS = 6MT:TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T or 5MT:TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5 or 9.8(RS-5speed)
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

Evolution 9
USDM & JDM = TD05HRA-16G6C-10.5T
Turbine: GSR / GT = Inconel alloy, RS = Titanium alloy
Compressor: GSR / GT = Aluminium, RS = Magnesium Alloy
(??) mm wide (to be verified.)

Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5 (note: to be confirmed that RS 5MT has 10.5)

RS E9 turbo part number 1515A059 (approx cost 250,000 yen from Mitsi Japan). *Warning* There are reports of RS magnesium compressor wheel failing if boosted above stock boost.

More Evo 9 Turbo info:
... * New more efficient & larger Compressor preventing compressor surge
... * Better pump gas efficiency
... * Turbine Nozzle Area (cm2) = Large 10.5 Hotside (single flapper)
... * Improve actuator design

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.