WRX vs. SS Colbolts? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. SS Colbolts? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel Hah hah, yes that's the answer. Dislike for Chevrolet+owning a Subaru=import fanboi. That's okay put me ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    Hah hah, yes that's the answer. Dislike for Chevrolet+owning a Subaru=import fanboi. That's okay put me down in the fanboi column, at least I won't be chalked up in the "can't get to work because my car broke down" column.

My mistake. Perhaps I should have said Chevy-Hater / Subaru-fanboi

Actually, I'm no fan of the Cobalt in particular. If your experience with them is such that you would never own a Chevy then that is understandable.

However... I think if "I" had my choice between a brand new Chevy Z06 and two new STi's, even with how much I love the new STi, I would take the Z06... Hands down.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
    It's still a chevy.

There is nothing econobox about our Rex's. Only economical thing w/our cars is the smiles it puts on my face each and every day.
    This makes me remember how much people talked about the interior of the subaru when the evo came out. . . and they both were tied in the complete **** category.

Registered User JUSTINSNUTSWINGER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    You are joking right?
    What's economical about our cars ?

4 doors and you can't use the back ones.
    4 banger that gets OK mileage.
    Throw me a bone......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
    What's economical about our cars ?

4 doors and you can't use the back ones.
    4 banger that gets OK mileage.
    Throw me a bone......
    Actually, I was referring to it as being an "econobox". I didn't say it was the most economical car out. Although, for a inexpensive AWD car (I think only the Suzuki SX4 is slightly cheaper), the Impreza it pretty good on fuel economy.

It's an IMPREZA. Dress it up all you want... Hell I love the wrx & STI but at it's core, it's STILL an "Impreza". 08 improvements notwithstanding, it is Subarus entry level base model. They don't currently have a cheaper USDM production car. Also the Impreza has traditionally come standard with a lot of rattles, tons of road noise and relatively cheap (looking/feeling/costing) plasticky interior parts (albeit still better the Lancer interiors haha).
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Registered User JUSTINSNUTSWINGER's Avatar
    True.....

Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    Yes, the WRX has to be the slowest car on the planet. In one corner we have a group who think the WRX is unbeatable, and then we've got you in the other making it out to be in the same class of vehicle as a Rascal Power Chair.
    I am just being realistic. I drove a 2.0 stock turbo WRX w/ bolt-ons for almost 4 years and I know exactly what it is capable of. Taking the power output, weight and drive layout of both cars into consideration, the WRX is probably going to lose in a rolling race. I apologize if that reality is going to hurts anyones feelings.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Maby the base WRX 2.5i get good gas milage but my sti gets maby 20 mpg and econobox not the sti buddy take a look at one sum it u might like it.

The Chevy cobalt ss may be fast but the design of the 4 banger turbo is a ripe off of ur so called econoboxs where do u think they got the idea,chevy needs to stick mussel cars not thier wanna be rice rockets tring to copy the look of evo's, sti's and honda TYPE R's.

Quote Originally Posted by evo killer View Post
    Maby the base WRX 2.5i get good gas milage but my sti gets maby 20 mpg and econobox not the sti buddy take a look at one sum it u might like it.

The Chevy cobalt ss may be fast but the design of the 4 banger turbo is a ripe off of ur so called econoboxs where do u think they got the idea,chevy needs to stick mussel cars not thier wanna be rice rockets tring to copy the look of evo's, sti's and honda TYPE R's.

Oh so since it's a souped up econobox that gets poor mileage it no longer makes it an econobox?

Elaborate on the 'ripe' design of the turbocharger setup on their motor please and where they got the idea. Did they theiefed the internal combustion motar as well? Maybe the previous subercharger? I'm looking forward for almost as hard of a laugh as this post provided me. Their 'wanna be' rice rockets have a solid motor, no lift shift, launch control and quite the stout little motor. Not a ringland ****ter. . and they put down decent numbers and competitive times to boot. I guess those were copied as well?

when im at the grand-am races with subaru our leggys can beat the coblats but there not slow by any means they give us a good run the AWD is what we got over them but they are quick cars and if someone built one on the street that knew what they were doing it would be a fast car
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #106
    06 WRX TR
    06 STI

I just want to clarify that there are three versions of the Chevy Cobalt SS, and I think many people on this thread are confused about which version they have had encounters with.

1. 2007 and earlier SS N/A 173hp
    2. 2007 and earlier SS Supercharged 205hp
    3. 2008 SS (all versions turbocharged) 260hp

forgive me if I am insulting your intelligence, but if you are gonna talk about winning or losing to one you really need to let us know which one it was.
    Last edited by ElBartoRex; 08-16-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Oh so since it's a souped up econobox that gets poor mileage it no longer makes it an econobox?

Elaborate on the 'ripe' design of the turbocharger setup on their motor please and where they got the idea. Did they theiefed the internal combustion motar as well? Maybe the previous subercharger? I'm looking forward for almost as hard of a laugh as this post provided me. Their 'wanna be' rice rockets have a solid motor, no lift shift, launch control and quite the stout little motor. Not a ringland ****ter. . and they put down decent numbers and competitive times to boot. I guess those were copied as well?
    During the time that I owned mine I seem to remember a rash of piston #4 ring lands being destroyed. Power levels on those cars were in the high 200's at the wheel. There's only one stock block LSJ that I know of with over 300whp that hasn't taken a trip to broken ringland. The ecotak's are nothing special without liberal use of the parts from GM"s build book.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

.....not the sti buddy take a look at one sum it u might like it...
    You sound like one of those notorious STi owners who have their head too far up their rump for recognition.

I had no idea that applying turbo's to 4 cylinder cars was STRICTLY an import idea. Hmm...though it was done over a decade ago....DSM anyone?

By the way, the *Muscle* car died over 20 years ago.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

I Support ClubWRX
    Um...Elite you'll probaly have a better first hand experiance with this but unless it rains it appears that the Cobalts are just as comeptitive in ST as the leggy's are...and it doesnt matter of it's Icy or the Locks driving them. Of course I'm just watching from home so I might not know the whole picture. But none the less those cars are not stock and Grand-AM/Koni actually put alot of thought into making those cars "even" so that's really not a fair comparo if you ask me.

Withstanding.

Fanboi's. Your Impreza might have 300 hp, a six speed, and three stupid letters in pink colors following it....but it's still an Impreza. The impreza is an introductary car for Subaru buyers. So more or less it's their "civic". So all the STI owners who think they are driving god's gift to the world need to look into the heritage a bit.

Most of us arent driving 911's, Vipers, F-30's, or Ford GT's. Those are PURPOSE built and DESIGNED street (read race) cars. We drive Impreza's that started life as a nothing and people have spent many hours trying to bring them up to par to be exciting. No one has ever sat down and built a STI and then based the Impreza off of it...that's in fact about as backward as you'll get.

The SS is no slouch. There are a ton of 07 STI's that have bitten the dust at stock or near stock power levels. Is it the car for me....nope...but there is no use in talking bad about a decent platform that for all intensive purposes is pair against the "WRX" in market value and it kills it on paper.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    No one has ever sat down and built a STI and then based the Impreza off of it...that's in fact about as backward as you'll get.

The SS is no slouch. There are a ton of 07 STI's that have bitten the dust at stock or near stock power levels. Is it the car for me....nope...but there is no use in talking bad about a decent platform that for all intensive purposes is pair against the "WRX" in market value and it kills it on paper.
    Wasn't the 08+ design a product of Petter Solberg wanting the STi to be a hatch, therefore putting the STi ahead of the Impreza in terms of the chicken or the egg timline? Despite the number of a diatribes about the status of what an STi is, I'm pretty sure most of the board was pretty well aware of their car's place in the grand scheme of things before now. There's plenty of reason to talk bad about the Cobalt platform, but that's just my first hand personal experience.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

The leggys are Pretty much stock we are still running stock exhaust we just have a tune and a lil more boost but im not dogging the coblats i was saying there quick cars street or race
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #106
    06 WRX TR
    06 STI

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast