300zX (TT) vs '04 STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 300zX (TT) vs '04 STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My brother has a Z32 (NA), I've got an 04 rex. So, much like the fanboys we are, we got ...

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

300zX (TT) vs '04 STi

My brother has a Z32 (NA), I've got an 04 rex. So, much like the fanboys we are, we got into a debate over which was faster between the ZX twin turbo and an STi. The 1/4 I was willing to give the edge to the Z, but what about 0-60? Or lap times on a track?

Fellow subbie owners/fans/forum memebers I ask for your imput.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?

Superman would totally kick Wolverines tail.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Superman would totally kick Wolverines tail.
    What are your thoughts on Hulk vs. Iron Man?
    06 CGM STi
    ERZ Downpipe, K and N Drop in filter.
    Welfare Mods:Silencer Delete

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DTFH3030 View Post
    What are your thoughts on Hulk vs. Iron Man?
    That actually happened in a comic book recently......uhm......Hulk did indeed smash metal man. Smashed him good.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

Well Tony Stark is a futurist and this is of major importance. If they were to randomly clash then the odds might be more in the Hulks favor. Assuming that Tony is in the Iron Man suit I'd imagine he'd be able to put something to use against the Hulk. If nothing else, Iron Man would have greater maneuverability. Though if the Hulk could trap Iron Man the odds would be skewed heavily in the Hulks favor.

I'd put my money on Iron Man.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    That actually happened in a comic book recently......uhm......Hulk did indeed smash metal man. Smashed him good.
    World War Hulk?

How many stock 300Z (TT) are still on the street?

I was at Verocious Motorsports last weekend for a dyno day and saw three modded 300z turbo cars pull between 500 and 600whp.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Stay on topic please.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

A stock 300ZX is notoriously hard to launch well. The car is set up for so little weight transfer that it can't find traction from a stop. The more power it makes, the more of an issue this becomes. They typically ran 13.8-14.1 in the quarter at around 100 mph, which was quick for the day. Its top end is not enough to hold off an STi's ~ 104 traps, and its launch isn't enough to beat the AWD of the STi.

The only engine compartment worse to work in than the Z is the RX7. Seriously, just about every moderate job in the Z involves removing the engine. They respond to mods well but last time I wrenched on one, they suffered from the Nissan Tax (similar to the Subaru Tax). They have (had?) only a few sources for parts and they were all ridiculously overpriced for what they offered.

Just like any of the turbo cars of the 90s, once you upgrade the snails, they can haul serious ass on otherwise stock components. Give it a clutch, upgrade the fuel system, and you're ready to rock -- if you can get some traction anyway.

Here are a few of us after a meet:

You can tell it was a little while ago - check out those gas prices!!!

The Z (Stillen exhaust & ECU, ran 13.0s @ 105) was totaled by another driver. My Stealth was sold and was in south Fl. last time I heard. The purple Supra is still around at BPU level. My brother sold the white Supra and it has since been totaled.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Ill step in to be the resident 300ZX guru if possible. I currently own a 1990 300ZX TT 5 Speed running stage 3 roughly. lol

all the injector connections are corroded to hell so ill be back up and running well when the new ones come in.

Regardless, 300ZX's hold 15 PSI easy. Stock ICs, Stock turbos, stock injectors, but tuned, cat back, and intake and you can run 400Crank. upgrade injectors to 555cc and some bigger SMICs, you will be pushing around 400rwhp. then you can throw in some disco potatoes, retune the ecu and you are somewhere between 500 and 600 crank hp. sometimes you can get it in the rwhp range of 520. The cars are no joke. then you get some split downpipes, true 3" test pipes and cat back, and switch to a dual intake system with dual MAFs with a AFC and you pretty well off. by that time you will need to open up the engine as the internals only last to about 600hp as goes the current consensus.

those are just basic numbers and seeing as how old these cars are, mine for example with the bad injector connections, they are each susceptible to bad wiring and such which could alter hp easily. i have an axle-back, intake, and ecu tune at 15PSI using boost jets and i ran only 290rwhp on a mustang dyno.

vacuum leaks, bad connectors, and coolant by-pass hoses were to blame. hoping to get some new numbers soon after i fix it all.

see you all later

funny you should post this today because i ran into a tt 300z today. he called me out by playing his BOV sound. so i followed and we took it from a roll in 2nd. i put a quick car on him. idk what he had. he rolled his window up when i slowed down...

If he hid in shame than he had nothing. A real Z owner would want to know what beat him and what it had. On a side note, I am doing a couple upgrades and would like to go from a roll with a 12 second STi in the West Palm Beach area. Any here?

wow i wish gas was as cheap as it is in that picture

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    A guy I work with has one, and it's slow as all get out. I'd put his modded at about what my WRX was stock. For the record, my WRX is slow, just not as slow as a 300zx.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

If you're talking about a twin turbo car, it must have some serious issues. A stock TT will kill a WRX. Oh, sure, you may get him off the line, but after 50 he'll be walking by like it's nothing.

100 mph traps far exceed 92 mph traps. You'd need an aftermarket turbo & supporting mods to keep up with a Z that has a downpipe & boost controller and nothing else.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast