Dodge Srt8!!!!!! Wow!!!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Dodge Srt8!!!!!! Wow!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ninefourteener Found this link on the best and worst cars for resale. Funny, 8 of the 10 ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Found this link on the best and worst cars for resale.

Funny, 8 of the 10 worst resale cars were USDM (I included the Jaguar, as it's essentially a Ford)... the other two were Kias (korean)
    To some extent, it cuts both ways though. The discounts and special offers cause depreciation but they are way better on many US cars to begin with. Case in point, I bought my SRT8 for 37K when the MSRP was 42K+ and supposedly you can't get deals on specialty cars like the SRT8... Most never pay MSRP on US cars. So "depreciation from MSRP" can often be somewhat misleading for US auto company product.

My parents paid 24k for a brand new Buick with a MSRP of more then 34k... It has very good acceleration, great amenities, is super comfortable and they have had zero issues with it for more then 100k miles... Relatively speaking it's really hard to find a reason why they should have paid 35k(+ for a comparably equipped Acura/Infinity/Lexus. Sure those cars may have better resale from MSRP but the initial deal would never have been as good, to begin with.

I'm not trying to convince you that you should buy from US auto companies. I'm simply saying there is more to it then many will lead you to believe. These days American made auto does not necessarily equal less quality. Additionally, I don't believe that depreciation from MSRP tells the whole story.
    Last edited by TheJ; 07-02-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: double negatives > me
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Completey agree, J.
    We paid $27k for the LGT and our value after a year and a half was $18.5k. Originally the dealer was going to give us $17k in trade-in, but we threatened to leave the deal and they needed to unload the SRT8 so they got us the Black Book max value. So, a 33% drop in value from what we paid and an almost 40% drop from MSRP...on the almighty value holding Subaru.
    <VampyreKitten> Have you ever seen the pope's crib?
    <MissAbyss> His ride is totally pimped too, bulletproof glass 'cause the haters keep trying to put him down.

The cars in the "Best Resale" category all have snob appeal. That's why people are willing to pay more for them used - it's purely psychological.

Conversely, all the ones listed on the "worst" side are generic people movers. Well, except for the Jag which is just a Taurus with a Jag grille...

Sun Chemical - you'll like the tranny more when it's reprogrammed. I don't know how Superchips is coming on those cars but they're able to really help out the Dodge trucks. HP Tuners is close to cracking the Dodge PCM which will give you full control of everything via laptop for $200 per vehicle.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Yeah, there is the Predator tuner out now that everyone raves about (Dodge version of Cobb apparently) and shift points can be adjusted as well as a nice power bump. I always drive it in manu-matic and it is fine, but my wife drives it in automatic and it angers me (both her refusal to not use auto and the tranny itself).

I don't know if I trust myself to tune it on my own. :/
    <VampyreKitten> Have you ever seen the pope's crib?
    <MissAbyss> His ride is totally pimped too, bulletproof glass 'cause the haters keep trying to put him down.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The cars in the "Best Resale" category all have snob appeal. That's why people are willing to pay more for them used - it's purely psychological..
    I'd hardly consider a Toyota Prius a "snobby" car at all. They are ALL outstanding cars. The only one that surprised me was the Porsche Cayenne.... It's a turd for reliability... and the Corvette. Those I can attribute to the "snob" factor... the others, are just really good all-around cars.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Conversely, all the ones listed on the "worst" side are generic people movers. Well, except for the Jag which is just a Taurus with a Jag grille.....
    One could argue that there are just as many (if not more) JDM "generic people movers". Why aren't any of them depreciating 50&#37; of their purchase price in 2 years?

They don't just pull these statistics out of thin air... There are thousands of hours of research that goes into these. There are reasons that USDM cars are worthless by comparison to JDM and Euro cars of the same initial price and year. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't due to "public opinion" entirely, although the majority of USDM car supporters will attribute it to that.

Quite simply, they break more often. Sorry, but they do.
    Thats why auto parts stores stock 75% USDM parts. I managed an Advance Auto for 3 years... it was painfully obvious.
    Thats why over 60K-70K miles, a USDM is almost unsellable.
    Even the USDM supporters..... when shopping for a used car will wince when they see high mileage.

1990 Honda Civic, 150K miles, $2500
    --or--
    1990 Chevy Cavalier, 150K miles $1750

Same initial price (approx), same mileage, same year.... The Honda is $750 more... and people will still pick the Honda everytime. And honestly, you'd be a fool if you didn't.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener
    I'd hardly consider a Toyota Prius a "snobby" car at all.
    You must not be a fan of South Park (S10E02)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    You must not be a fan of South Park (S10E02)
    LOL... I LOVE South Park.

Those were "hybrids" in that episode though... I know the prius gets great mileage, I don't think it's a "hybrid" though....... Is it??
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL... I LOVE South Park.

Those were "hybrids" in that episode though... I know the prius gets great mileage, I don't think it's a "hybrid" though....... Is it??
    Nope. Just your basic turbodiesel inline-5.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Nope. Just your basic turbodiesel inline-5.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I was a bit worried at first, but now I can say with confidence that this thread delivers.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

I'd hardly consider a Toyota Prius a "snobby" car at all. They are ALL outstanding cars.

One could argue that there are just as many (if not more) JDM "generic people movers". Why aren't any of them depreciating 50% of their purchase price in 2 years?
    Many of them were expensive cars (BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Porsche, Volvo) that are now available for much less than their cost new. People want to be seen in those cars. They're still new enough that the buyer could be mistaken for the original owner. I promise you I'd rather have a new Hyundai Azera than a used BMW 5 series (up until this year's 535i - that's a 5 worth owning). A 525 or 530? Forget it!

The Accord and Prius are for people who are in a panic over gas prices. "Let me spend $25k+ now so I can save $100 a month in gasoline." Then there's the treehugger aspect of those cars. Then they can be a socially conscious hippie who's better than the rest of us.

Too many people say "It's a Honda (or Toyota) - it'll run forever." They'll buy any example no matter what condition the first owner kept it in. They blindly assume it'll be bulletproof even if it still has its original factory oil fill and was driven by a TF&F wannabe.

I guess my domestic vehicles have always been reliable because I actually maintain them. People laugh that I bought a Dodge instead of a Tundra, even though I paid half of what Tundras go for and it's a pretty capable truck despite what some commercials may claim. I owned an 01 Grand Marquis that was trouble-free for me, even after a few mods, and stayed that way for the new owner who has passed the 80k mile mark.

Domestic cars that are crap are that way because they're crap, not because they're domestic. There is not a domestic FWD car I would ever own, from the 80s till now, except for GM's newest Malibu. Other than that I wouldn't even borrow one. You know the automakers knew they were crap when they were building them.

BTW, I love Advance & AutoZone when shopping for domestic parts. They'll always have what I need in stock and it'll be cheap too. $12 brake rotors for the Marquis! A radiator for my old 92 Chevy truck (sold) with a lifetime warranty for $120. The only part I could buy there for my Subaru was a new supply of the plasti-rivets that fasten the engine cover.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX

Your eligibility to participate in this conversation has been rescinded.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Your eligibility to participate in this conversation has been rescinded.
    Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me for not being overly familiar with the inner-workings and complex engineering of a Toyota Prius----LOL
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158

I Support ClubWRX
    Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me for not being overly familiar with the inner-workings and complex engineering of a Toyota Prius----LOL
    Just messin' with ya..the Prius is pretty much "The Hybrid", these days. What... do you think that you have a life outside of car forums, or something?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    What... do you think that you have a life outside of car forums, or something?
    No. Not so much.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345