Dodge Srt8!!!!!! Wow!!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dodge Srt8!!!!!! Wow!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sun Chemical Lots of misinformation in this thread. 1. No way in hell an SRT-8 is hitting ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Chemical View Post
    Lots of misinformation in this thread.

1. No way in hell an SRT-8 is hitting low 12s without a bit of work (more than just exhaust/filter).
    2. Loved the "let's see them turn" comment. SRT-8s turn really well. Really, really well. Yes, they are heavy but they handle wonderfully. Go drive one and be surprised.
    3. 17 - 19mpg is typical in mixed driving/traffic with the SRT-8 (23 - 25mpg on all highway).
    1. agreed, probably tires too but i have no idea on that one.
    2. perhaps your driving style is toned more towards the moo moo RWD V8 car. I've never driven one but I can testify that a LGT spec B can scooooooooot.
    3. 24MPG mixed and 29.99999999999999999999999999999999MPG on the highway in my WRX at least on the way to WV :P)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I ran into a guy a couple months ago with an SRT8.

He had a performance exhaust, and a performance chip.

His absolute best time at the local strip was a 13.1.

You couldn't pay me to own one of those gas-guzzling, oversized, retro-wannabe, quickly-depreciating, only good for 100K miles, USDM pieces of crapola..... no way.

$39,500 new?? Plus the gas-guzzler tax??

WTF... is a USDM car..... you know the SECOND you drive it off the lot it's worth $30K.... maybe less than that with the gas crisis going on.

A year later... it'll be worth $20K.

You could take a short 3-year loan on that car, pay $1000 - $1500 per month.... and STILL be upside-down on a trade in.

I took a 6-year note on my $24K WRX, my payments are low.... and the car is still worth more than I owe on it. Oh yea.... and it's faster too.

No thank you Dodge.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 06-30-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I Support ClubWRX
    OMG amurriccan cars must be crap.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    OMG amurriccan cars must be crap.
    Yeah, you know the type that buys those. Redneck, short-haired Georgia boyz that are camera-shy, and tell tall tales down I-81.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    I ran into a guy a couple months ago with an SRT8.

He had a performance exhaust, and a performance chip.

His absolute best time at the local strip was a 13.1.

You couldn't pay me to own one of those gas-guzzling, oversized, retro-wannabe, quickly-depreciating, only good for 100K miles, USDM pieces of crapola..... no way.

$39,500 new?? Plus the gas-guzzler tax??

WTF... is a USDM car..... you know the SECOND you drive it off the lot it's worth $30K.... maybe less than that with the gas crisis going on.

A year later... it'll be worth $20K.

You could take a short 3-year loan on that car, pay $1000 - $1500 per month.... and STILL be upside-down on a trade in.

I took a 6-year note on my $24K WRX, my payments are low.... and the car is still worth more than I owe on it. Oh yea.... and it's faster too.

No thank you Dodge.
    WELL he must not be that good of a driver. but just to let you know 13.1 is not that slow.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yeah, you know the type that buys those. Redneck, short-haired Georgia boyz that are camera-shy, and tell tall tales down I-81.
    Hey!

...I resemble that remark.

"I'm old Jay!!!!"
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

LGTs have soft suspension. I've never driven a SpecB but I can say the "regular" car is soft. With new tires I can't complain about the handling. It isn't up to STi specs but I chose that on purpose. I'm too old to want a stiffly-sprung vehicle. I've had a blast in borrowed STi's but it never made me want to switch vehicles.

A stock Legacy would get plastered by any SRT8 vehicle. Stage 2 evens things up a bit, with the SRT8 still having the advantage up top. The stock turbo is just too small to deliver that kind of top end power. I think we all agree that the power part of the equation is the easiest to remedy.

I have no complaints about my car's brakes or handling. Again, the tires made a huge improvement in both grip and in braking. I don't do roadracing or autox so I don't really put it to the limit on a daily basis. I love enterance and exit ramps, the curvier the better, and I've never felt anything but confident. I've learned that Subies are more willing to oversteer than my DSMs and Stealths were, but I like the difference.

A Legacy wagon (available now only as an Outback XT) vs. Magnum R/T wagon is a close comparison. Passenger seat room is short in a Legacy -- they put the damn ECU under the passenger's floorboard so that took away several inches of leg room. I'm 6' 2", 290 lbs, and fit fine in the drivers seat, although my size 15 1/2 shoes do have trouble in the pedal area. They say you've got to have a Limited with the power seats to find a comfortable seating position; the manual seats lack enough adjustment for most people.

I don't think the SRT vehicles are worth $40k, but then again, I bought my truck used too. They'd make great $35k cars, and I doubt anybody complains when you can pick one up used for $25k. The R/T trim vehicles should sticker for $25-29k.

Let me see if I can digest ninefourteener's rant a bit. Some dude ran 13.1's in one with mods. That's fine because many others run that stock. Obviously the guy had some issues, couldn't drive it, or didn't put his mods in the right place. Any vehicle with an automatic will need to address shifting/firmness/torque converter before power gains are truly useful.

They guzzle gas? It takes the same amount of gasoline to make the same horsepower no matter how you accomplish it. So, if you ride around WOT in a 300hp Subaru it'll use just as much gas as going WOT in a 300hp Hemi. Same goes for the 400hp level. Welcome to physics.

Only good for 100k miles? My truck is showroom condition after 5 years and 60k miles so I'm pretty confident it'll be just fine in another 40k miles. I see no reason the cars would be any worse. Plenty of domestic owners "wouldn't be caught dead" in a POS import too, so people have the irrational argument for both sides.

I pissed off some Viper owners when I said I'd refuse to pay $30k for a 15 year old Viper because 400hp did nothing for me these days. You can buy a 5 year old Viper for the same price and have more car; the earliest examples should be in the $25k range today. Anything else is just snobbery, not economics.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    LGTs have soft suspension. I've never driven a SpecB but I can say the "regular" car is soft. With new tires I can't complain about the handling. It isn't up to STi specs but I chose that on purpose. I'm too old to want a stiffly-sprung vehicle. I've had a blast in borrowed STi's but it never made me want to switch vehicles.
    This is what has steered me away from the LGT. I love the car's engine and interior, and it's nice-looking, but it's too soft for me. There are times during my work commute where I'll entertain the notion of having a more compliant vehicle. But at this point I know myself..every time I've switched to a softer ride, I've regretted it. A WRX on Prodrives pretty much feels normal to me now.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yes, obviously the more HP you produce, the more gas you are going to use. With that said though, there are several other factors that need to be taken into consideration.

1. How much does the car weigh?
    2. How aerodynamic is the car?
    3. How much fuel is required to sustain an idle, not just at WOT?

Regarding the “value” of vehicles…. Again, there are many factors that come into play. The most important of which, is “whether or not the dealer can re-sell it”. If you think I’m wrong, go trade in your 1-year old Chevy Yukon, fully loaded, that you paid $50K under 2 years ago…… and watch them offer you a $15,000 trade-in value. Why? Because they can’t sell it. The lots are literally FULL of gas guzzling SUVs.

This JUST happened to my boss.... no exaggeration.

With that…… KBB, NADA, etc. are pretty much useless. Dealerships go by AUCTION pricing now. They pay what “overall” the public values the car at. Most dealers use the Manheim auto auction guides. Although we as the public do not have access to this guide, the Edmunds “true value” listings are generally a pretty good indicator.

2 year old vehicles, trade in values are Edmunds true value trade-in prices as of today:

2006 2-dr. Honda Civic SI
    New price: $19,990
    Trade-in value: $14,965
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 25.2%

2006 Toyota Camry (base)
    New price: $18,445
    trade-in value: $12,414
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 32.7%

2006 Subaru WRX STI
    New price: $32,995
    Trade-in value: $ 21,700
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 34.3%

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
    New price: $41,600 ($39,500 plus mandatory $2100 gas guzzler tax)
    Trade-in value: $23,700
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 44.1%

2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0
    New price: $33,595 ($32,295 plus mandatory $1300 gas guzzler tax)
    trade-in value: $18,750
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 44.2%

2006 Ford Crown Victoria
    New price: $24,510
    trade-in value: $12,104
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 50.7%

2006 Chevy Suburban 1500
    New Price: $36,895
    trade-in value: $16,491
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 55.4%

These prices aren't including sales tax, destination fees, APR, etc. So obviously the amount you finance will be more than the above listed figures. With that, you can concievably purchase a Honda on a 7-8 year loan, and still not lose money on a trade-in at any given time. A Subaru or Toyota? You can go 5-6 years and still be relatively safe. A US car?? If you go more than 3-4 years on a loan, you will be upside down on the car the entire time you own it. That's why it happens to so many people.

What's most ironic, is that USDM cars cost just as much, so people are forced to take longer 6-year, or even 7-year loans on them. Then when they depreciate nearly twice as fast, people lose their ass on them.

Now..... it's pretty easy to see why American Car companies are offering all these gimmicks, incentives, etc.... particularly on fuel inefficient vehicles. There's Chrysler's "$3.00 per gallon for 3 years" gimmick..... there's Ford's "employee pricing" gimmick...... there's Chevy's huge rebates...... the list goes on.

Ironically.... all of those gimmicks..... reduce the resale value of your vehicle even further.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 07-01-2008 at 09:07 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08

Banned
    2006 2-dr. Honda Civic SI
    New price: $19,990
    Trade-in value: $14,965
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 25.2%

2006 Subaru WRX STI
    New price: $32,995
    Trade-in value: $ 21,700
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 34.3%

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
    New price: $41,600 ($39,500 plus mandatory $2100 gas guzzler tax)
    Trade-in value: $23,700
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 44.1%

2006 Ford Crown Victoria
    New price: $24,510
    trade-in value: $12,104
    Depreciation, 2.5 years: 50.7%

this combined with lack of reliability is why I will never buy another american car again. thats just me, I know their are plenty of decent american cars out their, I have just had too many bad experiences with them and nothing but good experiences with foreign cars. particularly HONDA, toyota and subaru. my 02 honda civic is still worth 2/3 of what I paid for it new, and runs like it is brand new. I have put a set of tires and set of front brake pads and nothing more in 6 years! again, just my humble opinion, to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    this combined with lack of reliability is why I will never buy another american car again.
    Agreed.

Keep in mind, those trade-in values are "assuming" that the mileage is age-appropriate. If you drive more than 12-15K miles per year... you're even more screwed.

My experience with the last USDM car I owned.

early 1997:

Bought a brand new, fully loaded, top-o-the-line 1997 Dodge Avenger ES..... $22,500 plus taxes.
    (at the time it was a hot car)

Late 1997 (11 months later):
    high mileage, almost 40K miles (lots of trips that year)
    Traded it in... the best I could get...... $12,500.

I put $7000 CASH down on this car...... and was still upside down $3000 when I traded it in.

Granted.... the mileage was high... but the car wasn't even a year old, and lost $10K on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    I know you have had to write alot in this thread, but I was wondering if you would mind telling us if your sti has any mods and maybe compare the sti and srt8. they both have advantages, but never met or seen anyone that owned them both. good to get an owners perspective. must be nice to have power and cargo room. thanks
    The STi is stock and the SRT8 has filter/exhaust (no ECU programming; yet). It's the usual story:
    From a stop, the SRT8 cannot do anything to beat the STi. AWD launch is too much to overcome. I'm referring to normal street light take-offs here and not holding revs to launch. I'm usually a car or two ahead immediately and up to speed limits I stay ahead.
    From a roll (any speed), it is the opposite and no contest - I see my wife's tail lights pretty quickly and they just get further away. The 8 is a beast when moving, and it pulls all the way.

To the other commenters:
    I would never have purchased the 8 new. I was expecting to wait awhile just to get into an '06 model since the SRTs *were* holding their value quite well. Then the gas prices hit and the values plummeted. So, I was able to get an '07 with low miles and full upgrades for almost half new. It was a deal from which I could not walk away. Stellar performance, roomy interior, and wagon functionality for $24k? Sign me up.

I knew about the gas mileage prior to buying the car (I used it to my advantage to get the price of the car even lower), but it is not as bad as people claim. 17 - 19mpg mixed driving is pretty good for the weight and power (17 when I drive and 19 when the wife drives). Yes, WOT stop light to stop light, and sit in a bunch of traffic and you will see 13mpg. Drive it like a normal car with occasional fun and it's not bad. In the STi, I get about 21 - 22mpg in the same situations. Idling is what really hurts the thirsty V8. I can actually watch the mpg in the EVIC count down like seconds when sitting in bad traffic. C'est la vie.

As for reliability, the SRT models are light years ahead of the regular models and I have no qualms or concerns. This is akin to the difference between a base Lancer and an EVO.

The 8 is not perfect (the interior...my god, the interior makes babies cry; the auto tranny should be taken out back and shot) but in my experience it has been better to us than the LGT. And just to re-emphasize, I was not trying to slam the LGT (I loved it).

Oh, most SRT8 owners I run into are pretty cool (it's the same as the Subbie thing - wave or peace sign), but the R/T owners on the other hand...Yeesh. They seem to feel the need to prove themselves. It's not at all like a WRX owner seeing an STi owner, and it makes me a sad panda.
    <VampyreKitten> Have you ever seen the pope's crib?
    <MissAbyss> His ride is totally pimped too, bulletproof glass 'cause the haters keep trying to put him down.

Even the 300C (non SRT-8) is pretty quick. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and gobs of power up top. Gas mileage isn't bad with the 4cyl mode - which I don't notice at all. Beyond that, it's large and very, very comfortable inside. With plenty of luxury amenities that make owning the vehicle very nice...
    Sal Collaziano
    Certified Cadillac Nut

Check out my Toyota FT86 Concept site at FT86.net!

Found this link on the best and worst cars for resale.

Funny, 8 of the 10 worst resale cars were USDM (I included the Jaguar, as it's essentially a Ford)... the other two were Kias (korean)

Which Cars Depreciate Fastest? (Ask SmartMoney: Personal Finance) at SmartMoney.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Found this link on the best and worst cars for resale.

Funny, 8 of the 10 worst resale cars were USDM (I included the Jaguar, as it's essentially a Ford)... the other two were Kias (korean)

Which Cars Depreciate Fastest? (Ask SmartMoney: Personal Finance) at SmartMoney.com
    great info. not suprised one bit!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast