anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just wonderin if anyone had. ran one two days ago, and curious how other scooby owners made out....

Banned

anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am?

just wonderin if anyone had. ran one two days ago, and curious how other scooby owners made out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nope, mostly because I know I'll lose. LS1's are quick stock, and can be scary fast with some mods.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    Nope, mostly because I know I'll lose. LS1's are quick stock, and can be scary fast with some mods.
    +1, those things are great in a straight line. They handle like a box of bricks on a sled though. 0-60 in 4.7 stock I believe.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    They handle like a box of bricks on a sled though.
    I find this surprising, from what I've read about late-model TA's. No, they're not a fine-tuned sports car, but then neither is a stock WRX.

Paging Donnie...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It's basically like racing a regular C5 Vette (non-Z06). Expect low to mid 13's and 104-108 mph trap speeds from stock ones. And it's not difficult nor too expensive to move into the 12's or even 11's at 110-119 mph.

Regarding the handling, my heavy convertible TransAm Firehawk ran the same lap times on the same low speed autocross (all 1st and 2nd gear) as my WRX back when I had both of them at the same time. The TA (and Camaro) grip well on smooth surfaces, but the solid rear end can make the car challenging when any pavement irregularities (bumps in mid corner) are present. Like any vehicle, once you get used to driving it, you learn to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of that particular car.

I would never call a TransAm a "great" handling car with excellent feel (it's certainly no M3, Evo, or Z06), but at the end of the day it can hold it's own amongst other sports cars around a race track.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

If you run an LS1 F-body, particularly the 00-02 as they seem more potent, you'd better "bring the funk." They are no slouch anywhere in the power band. Heads & cam net major gains so watch out for the guy who claims "just bolt-ons"

I had mixed results vs. them in my Stealth, so that should give you an idea how much power you'll need to compete. I won vs. an LS1 (with at least exhaust) on the interstate, pulling him slowly from 70-130. I've also lost vs. a car with just a cam (still stock heads), where he slowly pulled me. If you can get your traps into the 110 mph area, you'll be up to maybe a 50/50 chance.

There are plenty of LS1 examples that trap 101-102 too, so it's not a guaranteed loss either. You've just got to accurately size them up before the run.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    If you run an LS1 F-body, particularly the 00-02 as they seem more potent, you'd better "bring the funk." They are no slouch anywhere in the power band. Heads & cam net major gains so watch out for the guy who claims "just bolt-ons"
    How does the 99 Z28 stack up, my little bro is in the market and one of those with a 6mt has caught his eye
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I ran one at the track when I had my wrx a few years back. The guy lifted the fronts well past the 60 and finished the quarter before I finished the 8'th.

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    How does the 99 Z28 stack up, my little bro is in the market and one of those with a 6mt has caught his eye
    98-2000 were essentially the same aside from minor changes (injector sizes, manifold design). The 01 and 02's got the LS6 intake along with a slightly revised cam. A few also received LS6 blocks. The 01's and 02's generally dyno 10-15 rwhp more, but it's nothing that can't easily be made up elsewhere.

Banned
    I was curious cuz I ran a kid in a black ta. I got a slight jump and completely left him behind from 30ish to about 110. I heard him stomp the gas(auto) so I know he was in it, and I was just a little suprised at the outcome. are their different options for motors in those cars?

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    I was curious cuz I ran a kid in a black ta. I got a slight jump and completely left him behind from 30ish to about 110. I heard him stomp the gas(auto) so I know he was in it, and I was just a little suprised at the outcome. are their different options for motors in those cars?
    You sure it wasn't a firebird? Those were equipped with a V6 producing about 200 hp.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    It's basically like racing a regular C5 Vette (non-Z06).
    didn't the camaro/TA LS1s get different heads than the vette? I think they were detuned to make 50 less crank (at least on paper)
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    You sure it wasn't a firebird? Those were equipped with a V6 producing about 200 hp.
    positive it was a v-8. had the ram air scoops, wing, dual exhaust that sounded like a v-8. no doubt it was

Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    Regarding the handling, my heavy convertible TransAm Firehawk ran the same lap times on the same low speed autocross (all 1st and 2nd gear) as my WRX back when I had both of them at the same time. The TA (and Camaro) grip well on smooth surfaces, but the solid rear end can make the car challenging when any pavement irregularities (bumps in mid corner) are present. Like any vehicle, once you get used to driving it, you learn to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of that particular car.

I would never call a TransAm a "great" handling car with excellent feel (it's certainly no M3, Evo, or Z06), but at the end of the day it can hold it's own amongst other sports cars around a race track.
    I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection to the road and overall felt pretty sloppy. It didn't inspire confidence at all. As my speed increased over about 60, it got a little scary. Taking an exit ramp was scary. I had zero confidence in the car.

I'm not going to knock the car based on the handling. 0-60 in under 5 secs for under $30k is pretty damn good. For under $30k, I figure you can either make a car handle or make it go fast, not both.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    didn't the camaro/TA LS1s get different heads than the vette? I think they were detuned to make 50 less crank (at least on paper)
    The heads, cam, etc... are all identical. GM's marketing department said that the regular C5 vettes made 350 flywheel hp, while the F-bodies (platform for the Camaro and TransAm) made less (305-335 flywheel, depending on options and year). But put them all on a dyno, and they are all within 5%. The C5 has a better factory exhaust, but the F-body's solid rear end doesn't have as much driveline loss as the IRS in the Vette.

The Vettes weigh a little less and have better aerodynamics, so they may have a little advantage out on the track (or street).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.