anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 19 of 19

This is a discussion on anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection ...

  1. #16
    Registered User Dan00Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection to the road and overall felt pretty sloppy. It didn't inspire confidence at all. As my speed increased over about 60, it got a little scary. Taking an exit ramp was scary. I had zero confidence in the car.

    I'm not going to knock the car based on the handling. 0-60 in under 5 secs for under $30k is pretty damn good. For under $30k, I figure you can either make a car handle or make it go fast, not both.
    I've driven an 89 TransAm that was exactly as you described. Scary and everything felt loose. The more recent models were much better. I've had mine on Road America in Elkhart Lake (4.1 mile, 14 turn road course) with speeds in the triple digits for some turns, and I felt confident and in control of the car. But if you compared it back to back with an S2000 or STI, it would likely feel like driving a dump truck.


    2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

    Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    I've driven an 89 TransAm that was exactly as you described. Scary and everything felt loose. The more recent models were much better. I've had mine on Road America in Elkhart Lake (4.1 mile, 14 turn road course) with speeds in the triple digits for some turns, and I felt confident and in control of the car. But if you compared it back to back with an S2000 or STI, it would likely feel like driving a dump truck.
    how much did u beat him by? and a ls1 comes stock on a 5.7 gto

  4. #18
    SRM
    SRM is offline
    Registered User SRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection to the road and overall felt pretty sloppy. It didn't inspire confidence at all. As my speed increased over about 60, it got a little scary. Taking an exit ramp was scary. I had zero confidence in the car.

    I'm not going to knock the car based on the handling. 0-60 in under 5 secs for under $30k is pretty damn good. For under $30k, I figure you can either make a car handle or make it go fast, not both.
    The 4th gen fbodies *greatly* improved in the handling area if you welded in subframe connectors. Before the subframe connectors, hitting a mild bump over 60 felt scary. Not any more. If I were to compare my z28 to my 07 wrx, pretty close IMO. The z28 feels heavier (it is of course) but it cornered well.

    Actually, stock 6-speed ls1 fbodies were sub 5 seconds 0 - 60.

    I miss my LS1. If any of you ever have a chance to row thru the gears at WOT, what a thrill! Just pure linear power up to and beyond 6000 rpms on a stock motor.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

    Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

  5. #19
    Registered User Dan00Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002scoobyrex View Post
    how much did u beat him by? and a ls1 comes stock on a 5.7 gto
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
    I've driven an 89 TransAm that was exactly as you described. Scary and everything felt loose. The more recent models were much better. I've had mine on Road America in Elkhart Lake (4.1 mile, 14 turn road course) with speeds in the triple digits for some turns, and I felt confident and in control of the car. But if you compared it back to back with an S2000 or STI, it would likely feel like driving a dump truck.
    I've had 2004 5.7 GTO (see my signature), so I'm well aware that they came with an LS1. A GTO isn't part of this thread until you mentioned it... And I have know idea what your are asking in response to my post and why you quoted me...


    2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

    Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •