anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on anyone ever race a 00-01 pontiac trans am? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection ...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection to the road and overall felt pretty sloppy. It didn't inspire confidence at all. As my speed increased over about 60, it got a little scary. Taking an exit ramp was scary. I had zero confidence in the car.

I'm not going to knock the car based on the handling. 0-60 in under 5 secs for under $30k is pretty damn good. For under $30k, I figure you can either make a car handle or make it go fast, not both.
    I've driven an 89 TransAm that was exactly as you described. Scary and everything felt loose. The more recent models were much better. I've had mine on Road America in Elkhart Lake (4.1 mile, 14 turn road course) with speeds in the triple digits for some turns, and I felt confident and in control of the car. But if you compared it back to back with an S2000 or STI, it would likely feel like driving a dump truck.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    I've driven an 89 TransAm that was exactly as you described. Scary and everything felt loose. The more recent models were much better. I've had mine on Road America in Elkhart Lake (4.1 mile, 14 turn road course) with speeds in the triple digits for some turns, and I felt confident and in control of the car. But if you compared it back to back with an S2000 or STI, it would likely feel like driving a dump truck.
    how much did u beat him by? and a ls1 comes stock on a 5.7 gto

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I've driven one a little, not very much, and the steering to me lacked any connection to the road and overall felt pretty sloppy. It didn't inspire confidence at all. As my speed increased over about 60, it got a little scary. Taking an exit ramp was scary. I had zero confidence in the car.

I'm not going to knock the car based on the handling. 0-60 in under 5 secs for under $30k is pretty damn good. For under $30k, I figure you can either make a car handle or make it go fast, not both.
    The 4th gen fbodies *greatly* improved in the handling area if you welded in subframe connectors. Before the subframe connectors, hitting a mild bump over 60 felt scary. Not any more. If I were to compare my z28 to my 07 wrx, pretty close IMO. The z28 feels heavier (it is of course) but it cornered well.

Actually, stock 6-speed ls1 fbodies were sub 5 seconds 0 - 60.

I miss my LS1. If any of you ever have a chance to row thru the gears at WOT, what a thrill! Just pure linear power up to and beyond 6000 rpms on a stock motor.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by 2002scoobyrex View Post
    how much did u beat him by? and a ls1 comes stock on a 5.7 gto
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
    I've had 2004 5.7 GTO (see my signature), so I'm well aware that they came with an LS1. A GTO isn't part of this thread until you mentioned it... And I have know idea what your are asking in response to my post and why you quoted me...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.