04 WRX 4EAT vs. 08 tiburon SE V6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 WRX 4EAT vs. 08 tiburon SE V6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So this punk kid where i work has a 2008 Tiburon SE V6 (6 speed) and was talking big about ...

04 WRX 4EAT vs. 08 tiburon SE V6

So this punk kid where i work has a 2008 Tiburon SE V6 (6 speed) and was talking big about how awesome it was, and was talking a lotta smack about how i would get owned by him cause im an automatic and have the AWD drivetrain losses. I think were going to run them next weekend. I told him he better not underestimate the WRX's power. This guy is a moron so

How do you guys think i'd do from a dig up to 75 or so with a light launch against him?

I have a catless uppipe, removed my muffler, drop in filter, silencer delete, and synthetic fluids all the way around. I figure that bumps my 227 stock HP up to maybe 240hp.

He is stock (past break in period though). Although he's putting a fart-can muffler on it this week. Heres the specs on the Tibby.

Power: 172 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm; 181 ft lb @ 3,800 rpm

What would that be with drivetrain losses? Roughly 150 at the wheels?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Tiburon does 0-60 in 7-8 seconds depending on the driver, while the the WRX is a 6-7 second car. The HP to weight ratio of the cars is very similar, but I would take the H-4 turbo over the V6 NA any day. Ultimately this is a driver's race but your WRX should have the edge.

Those mods you have listed shouldn't have increased your HP as much as you think. Yes, certain synthetic fluids can increase your numbers, but I've only seen significant gains from the really expensive ones like Royal Purple, not from the everyday stuff like Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec. Your air filter isn't giving you any power since the stock airbox/filter already provide more air than the engine can use.

Your lack of an uppipe cat might help a little. The lack of a muffler won't do much if anything. The restriction in your exhaust is in the downpipe, not the muffler. And to get any gains out of changing your exhaust, you need to change your ECU programming. Just removing the exhaust backpressure won't help unless your computer is programmed to account for it. In fact, it might cause you to lose power and also give you lots of pretty lights on your dash (i.e. CELs). So do yourself a favor (and everybody else driving around you! ) and put your muffler back on. It might save you from a ticket too. So based on your mods, I doubt you've gained any noticeable amount of HP, maybe just 1-2 if you're lucky.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

You would be surprised how slow the stock 4eat wrx is, right around 7 seconds with a launch. its really not drivable under 3k rpms.. its a completely diff after after stage two.. take it from me, save your self the pain put ur exhaust on go get a protune.

Actually i am running Royal Purple

And I have no CEL's and the butt dyno feels a little better than stock for sure. In fact i know im faster than stock because before i took off my muffler and did uppipe swap, i was pulling 0-60 in about 7.3-7.4 seconds. Now i can hit 6.9-7.0. Now that may be also because i know more about how to drive it....but just saying....feels faster!

I haven't noticed much in the way of top end HP gains, but the low end torque seems (at least to me) to be much better now that i did the up pipe and muffler removal. Also its really not as loud as you would think with that stock down pipe still there. Its not even close to breaking the law here in Nebraska. With all the hicks running around in trucks with straight pipes and street bikes.....i have nothing to worry about.

That is because its spooling faster..thats pretty much it.

never trust the butt dyno my friend...
    and keeping a un-catted uppipe in a stock EM car( esp 04-05) can cause boom. remember that.

Oh i forgot i also have a Spearco TMIC, y pipe, and iridium plugs. Plus a CryO2 system for the TMIC. (well...ya....waste of money i know...but i bought that long ago back when i didnt know jack about my car)

Well i'll post up the results next weekend if it happens. Im expecting a win, but not by much. Maybe a car length or two. Im gonna lighten the car as much as possible as well before hand. IE take out spare tire, tools, clean car, 1/4 tank gas.

BTW i thought i read somewhere on here that swapping a catted uppipe for a catless version was like an instant 10hp gain at the crank? Didnt someone do a dyno test on that and proved it?

a MBC will give you alot of hp too, but blow up your engine.

Do your research our cars DONT like mods unless were tuned for them. Something like an uppipe and tmic isnt good AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL unless you wanna learn your mixture out alot and blow your stuff up. Get a downpipe. GET tuned asap.!

Um....ya im pretty sure a TMIC and a catless uppipe are not going to blow up my car. I think you have no idea what you are talking about. The factory O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold has the ability to learn and adjust the fuel curve for minor modifications. (keep in mind this inst enough to compensate for things such as an MBC)

Again an up pipe will not lean ANYTHING out. It will just help spool up. How would taking out a Catalytic converter lean out the air/fuel further upstream in the engine? especially when the O2 levels are being measure before the exhaust gases even reach the converter?

im not ADDING boost. Im just cooling down the boost i already have a bit better. Just putting a TMIC MIGHT make me just a fraction of a percentage leaner, but nothing dangerous. If anything its a great thing to help keep the ECU from pulling timing. The only thing its doing is preventing me from getting heatsoak as quickly. I live in Nebraska where the summers are hot and i need a better cooling method. Proud to say it WORKS! very well actually. And jetting a spray of CO2 onto that sucker after sitting idling for a while removes any heat soak that did occur.

1) These guys are making a big deal out of nothing.... An uppipe and TMIC on stock EM isn't going to ruin your car. A tune is good, but with your mods, it's not imperative to the automobiles health.

2) Why are you even giving into his pissing contest?

3) With those power outputs you should have him... but don't expect a murder. The auto wrx in stock form is damn slow.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

i raced a 6speed tib when i was completly stock... and i romped him easily.. and it was from a roll... i would get to nervouse

The Tiburon is a bit long in the tooth to compete against today's sporty coupes. They'll be fixing that with the Genesis coupe.

Too bad the Sonata's 225hp v6 didn't work in the Tiburon. That would have kept it in the hunt while the new car was in development.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

ya i know its kinda slow, but its fast enough for me......for now. Until i get a good engineering job and i can get an STI.

Im pretty sure i'll walk him fairly good because he hasnt driven a manual for very long and i dont think he really knows that much about his car yet.

I told him the only place i'd race him is out on the local highway (75mph speed limit). So we'd go from a dig at the light on the edge of town up to 75. Which is actually really convenient because 75 is the end of 2nd gear for me. No shift to 3rd needed.

It will be fun to hear his excuse.....im pretty sure he'll come up with something.....

so your telling me your never heard of the leaning out problems with the 04/05 open/closed loop problem?

if your not tuned running a tmic/dp/uppipe can be really bad with those years.

Quote Originally Posted by nsvwrx View Post
    so your telling me your never heard of the leaning out problems with the 04/05 open/closed loop problem?

if your not tuned running a tmic/dp/uppipe can be really bad with those years.
    Open and closed loop on the blobeyes is typically associated with using MBC's and catless downpipes. He's only got an aftermarket IC (which essentially does nothing with his mods), and a catless uppipe which doesn't affect peak boost or area under the curve aside from 500rpm sooner spoolup. He's fine.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

A stock WRX will walk a stock tiburon, especially from a dig. Stock tibs are SAS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.