04 WRX 4EAT vs. 08 tiburon SE V6 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 WRX 4EAT vs. 08 tiburon SE V6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by xsnapshot So this punk kid where i work has a 2008 Tiburon SE V6 (6 speed) and ...

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    So this punk kid where i work has a 2008 Tiburon SE V6 (6 speed) and was talking big about how awesome it was, and was talking a lotta smack about how i would get owned by him cause im an automatic and have the AWD drivetrain losses. I think were going to run them next weekend. I told him he better not underestimate the WRX's power. This guy is a moron so

How do you guys think i'd do from a dig up to 75 or so with a light launch against him?

I have a catless uppipe, removed my muffler, drop in filter, silencer delete, and synthetic fluids all the way around. I figure that bumps my 227 stock HP up to maybe 240hp.

He is stock (past break in period though). Although he's putting a fart-can muffler on it this week. Heres the specs on the Tibby.

Power: 172 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm; 181 ft lb @ 3,800 rpm

What would that be with drivetrain losses? Roughly 150 at the wheels?

Both cars are close to stock. You should win. I know that a Tiburon with intake/full exhaust/with re-flash can eat a stock WRX. The Tiburon weights around 2700lbs vs the wrx's 3100lbs.

Good luck. If he's lying about his mods...expect a beating.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how long have you had the TMIC, and UP on?
    06 CGM STi
    ERZ Downpipe, K and N Drop in filter.
    Welfare Mods:Silencer Delete

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

had the gutted uppipe on now for about a month. TMIC has been on for going on 10 months.

I will say this. The TMIC has been ironically one of the better mods i could do. When i used to have the stock TMIC, i used to always suffer from terrible heatsoak during the summer, but ever since i put the spearco TMIC i dont sense the computer pulling the timing and whatnot at all. Plus....well....its more efficient than the stocker, letting my turbo work less for the same PSI.

EDIT: i dont think this race will happen now.....the tibby guy got absolutely murdered by a stock 5spd WRX last weekend and i think he has some new respect for them. Ill let you know what the outcome is if it ever does.
    Last edited by xsnapshot; 07-10-2008 at 09:35 PM.

nice, hopefully your motor doesn't pop like everybody says.
    06 CGM STi

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DTFH3030 View Post
    nice, hopefully your motor doesn't pop like everybody says.
    um....everyone is not saying that. Only one miss-informed person said that. Ive NEVER had a boost spike or any lean/rich CEL's.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    um....everyone is not saying that. Only one miss-informed person said that. Ive NEVER had a boost spike or any lean/rich CEL's.
    Yeah i know, i didn't wanna single one person out. I highly doubt that a larger TMIC and catless UP will do cause any ill effect especially when the car is running on 2 more cats already.
    06 CGM STi

05 Flame RED SRT-4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang View Post
    Both cars are close to stock. You should win. I know that a Tiburon with intake/full exhaust/with re-flash can eat a stock WRX. The Tiburon weights around 2700lbs vs the wrx's 3100lbs.

Good luck. If he's lying about his mods...expect a beating.
    i'm sorry where did you hear a tibby weighs 2700 it is almost a grand shy of what it acually weighs, a buddy of mine has one on the door it says 3875 and when we took it to the dump to throw away a lamp it weighed a 3643, thats alot for the v6 to jump up and they are only good in 1st and somewhat 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by bissy01 View Post
    i'm sorry where did you hear a tibby weighs 2700 it is almost a grand shy of what it acually weighs, a buddy of mine has one on the door it says 3875 and when we took it to the dump to throw away a lamp it weighed a 3643, thats alot for the v6 to jump up and they are only good in 1st and somewhat 2nd.
    The weight on the door sticker is not the vehicle's weight. It is the car's maximum weight fully loaded - full tank, 4 passengers, etc, etc.

Looks like they weigh 2900-3000 lbs depending on model. Not a Civic, but not an Expedition either.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

You will be playing catchup with a close to stock 2.0 4eat. Almost aginst anything bigger than a moped. You will win if he doesn't call it a very short race.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

If he is a good driver my money is on the Tib. He's going to get you off the line and basically you'll be playing catch up. You'd probably need to go more than 75mph to beat him. Under 3k rpm your car is going to lag big time while he is pulling away. It's no wonder he got murdered by a 5-speed WRX but against the auto version he has the advantage in a short race like 0-75. Good luck though

A bit late on this thread... xsnapshotx... does that tibby owner have a red one with black wheels? and does he wear a flight suit and have a buddy with a VW? if he does, then I know exactly who you're talking about. We use to be good friends back when I was still in the military at offutt and I had my S2K and he had his turbo'd Laser. He's told me he has had a few things done to his tib but nothing too extreme. Things like I/E/H and a few aesthetic mods. He's always talking about getting an alpine s/c but he hasn't yet. I have been trying to get him to race me all summer long at the track (MAM) right outside of Bellevue, in Glenwood, IA, but evertime he agrees, he always has some excuse about his tibby not working or not ready yet every track day.

EDIT: By the way, he's always saying that he will beat my WRX when we eventually race. Mind you, I have an 07 5-spd WRX wagon w/Cobb AP V2 with a protune, ported turbo, heatwrapped headers, heatwrapped uppipe, full 3" turbo back, colder spark plugs, k&N panel filter, royal purple fluids, STI TMIC, Y pipe, upgraded fuel pump, injectors and fp regulator.
    Last edited by rodriga2; 08-13-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    07 MB 350Z - Stock, 07 WRX Wagon - Cobb Stg II, 06 CBR600f4i - Yoshimura exhaust

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    wha? 6-7 sec 0-60 for a rex? I've always heard they were sub 6 stock.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

naw this guy's is blue. Maybe this is a common character trait for Tibby owners (*apologiezes to any cool tibby owners that dont act like this*)

Hey rodriga2 we should get these two together and see how they stack up. They can try their hand against you, (stage 2.5 manual) and me (stage 2.5 auto*)

I have a feeling with even a little brakeboosting i'll be fine off the line @ stage 2.5. heck......Perrin said to expect 220ish at the wheels with their stage 2 plus intercooler map with the auto. Thats up against what? stock the tibby has something like 150whp me thinks. So with an intake/exhaust/flash maybe 180whp?

*Im currently waiting on Perrin to send me the right accessport. I already have an e-tuned map, but somehow they managed to send me the AP for the 2.5L even though they made and sent the right e-tune. Go figure.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CGimpreza View Post
    wha? 6-7 sec 0-60 for a rex? I've always heard they were sub 6 stock.
    0-60 times are advertised by the manual transmission models.

As for lag (I have never really driven an automatic hard) - can't you apply breaks and rev the engine to get RPM above idle?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    ....Under 3k rpm your car is going to lag big time while he is pulling away....
    ...Didn't know stock 4EAT WRX's lagged significantly under 3k rpms.....

Stock turbo is about the size of a potato. Just turn the car on and you're in spool range.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast