$$$ on the line, STi vs M5 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

This is a discussion on $$$ on the line, STi vs M5 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX I suspect that a chipped 335 will wipe the floor with my car any day of ...

  1. #46
    Registered User Timdog1650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,170
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I suspect that a chipped 335 will wipe the floor with my car any day of the week at the dragstrip or at a road course.
    Yeah, you wouldn't stand a chance down the strip against a 335...now in a school zone...that's a different story

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Meh, I'm in it for the "fun factor", not street racing thrills or bragging rights. My plan is to test drive 996's, E46 M3's, E39 M5's, and STI's til I find the car that speaks to me in terms of "fun to drive".

    Having said that, the 335 is not a slow car. I suspect that a chipped 335 will wipe the floor with my car any day of the week at the dragstrip or at a road course.

    Okay, I'll let this thread wander back on topic...
    The 335xi is a great car, but it didn't cut it today.

    As far as german cars go, I'd have to say that if I had the $$$, I'd really like to have a Porsche GT3. But they're like $150k plus right? Is it the RS that's the lightweight race-ready one? I'm sure that must be a lot more.

    Any chance they'll be selling for $30k in 5 years?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  4. #48
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    I'm still considering whether I should dump the STi and get an M5. The problem is that whenever my wife and I go anywhere, we always take her car for 2 reasons:
    1. She can't stand the harsh ride of the STi and
    2. The rear seats are really small and putting two car seats back there is tough. I'm 6'4 so I have trouble putting my seat back far enough to be comfortable.

    The M5 would solve both problems and then we could take that instead of her car when we go places together. Then I wouldn't be banging her steering wheel chanting "I think I can I think I can I think I can" to get the car to go up hills. It's paaaaaaiiiiiinnnnful to drive her car up in the mountains.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  5. #49
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm still considering whether I should dump the STi and get an M5. The problem is that whenever my wife and I go anywhere, we always take her car for 2 reasons:
    1. She can't stand the harsh ride of the STi and
    2. The rear seats are really small and putting two car seats back there is tough. I'm 6'4 so I have trouble putting my seat back far enough to be comfortable.

    The M5 would solve both problems and then we could take that instead of her car when we go places together. Then I wouldn't be banging her steering wheel chanting "I think I can I think I can I think I can" to get the car to go up hills. It's paaaaaaiiiiiinnnnful to drive her car up in the mountains.
    Keep the STI and trade the wife's car in for a G8 GXP.

    You get to keep your car, have M5 performance/comfort, Aussie quality, and save a bunch of $$$...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  6. #50
    Moderator Integra96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    16,989
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Meh, I'm in it for the "fun factor", not street racing thrills or bragging rights. My plan is to test drive 996's, E46 M3's, E39 M5's, and STI's til I find the car that speaks to me in terms of "fun to drive".

    Having said that, the 335 is not a slow car. I suspect that a chipped 335 will wipe the floor with my car any day of the week at the dragstrip or at a road course.

    Okay, I'll let this thread wander back on topic...
    No! More hijacking!

    A stock 335i will beat up most modified WRXs pretty bad and take on an STI quite easily. They're a blast to drive, as well - very refined and comfortable, yet fun. The xi, I assume, is just a little slower.

    EDIT: people have 335i's in the 11's @115+ mph with CAI, exhaust, and engine management on drag radials. Holy frijoles.
    Last edited by Integra96; 06-22-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

  7. #51
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    EDIT: people have 335i's in the 11's @115+ mph with CAI, exhaust, and engine management on drag radials. Holy frijoles.
    Thanks, Donn..Tegs!

    I'd love to own a used 335, but I don't think they'll drop into my price range before I'm prepared to buy. I really would like to get something that's <$30K, if possible.

    The threadjack continuing...my only reservation about the M5; any M5, is the sheer mass of the thing. I know that BMW are the pro's at making a big car feel nimble, but it's still a weighty car:between 3800 and 4000 lbs, depending upon where I'm looking. The upside is that I'm sure it would make a pretty comfortable commuter, compared to what I'm used to.

    edit: I looked around a bit on kbb, and maybe the 335 would be a possibility. Hmmm...
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 06-22-2008 at 09:00 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  8. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    96
    ive driven a stock 6spd 335i and you can def. feel the weight. the turbo also lags despite what the internet says (maybe i'm spoiled by my stg. 2 2.5L sti motor in my lighweight GC chassis)

    335i is nice, but feels like a one-dimensional car in the performance aspect. it's a luxury cruiser with balls for the straights.

    i can't wait to test drive the 135i..if it feels much more nimble than the 335i it might be my next car

    and yeah a chipped 335i hauls ass. my 330whp evo 9 couldn't pull one with only a chip (40mph roll)

  9. #53
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Keep the STI and trade the wife's car in for a G8 GXP.

    You get to keep your car, have M5 performance/comfort, Aussie quality, and save a bunch of $$$...
    Obviously you're not married. My wife will decide what to do with her car, not me.

    No thanks on a Pontiac. I like reliable, good looking cars.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  10. #54
    Registered User John M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Milledgeville, GA
    Posts
    749
    Subaru makes other cars with the 2.5 liter that respond to mods just as well as the Impreza with more interior room & comfort -- hint, hint....
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

  11. #55
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Obviously you're not married. My wife will decide what to do with her car, not me.
    QFT.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  12. #56
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Obviously you're not married. My wife will decide what to do with her car, not me.

    No thanks on a Pontiac. I like reliable, good looking cars.
    I'm married, but, yes, I get your point

    Anyway, the G8's not a Pontiac, its a Holden straight from Aussie land... They just call them Pontiac or Vauxhall depending on the regional market. Topgear drove the piss out of one and liked it. They raced it against the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes equivalents and won.

    YouTube - Top Gear Vauxhall Vxr8
    Last edited by Pavia; 06-23-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  13. #57
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I can tell you the 335xi wouldn't cut it against a Subie...
    A subie with what mods?

    They consistantly run 13's stock and would beat up on a stock wrx..... and people are moving well past 300whp with just exhaust/chip. 11's have been attained with bolt on's, custom tuning, and some rad's.

    I am not sure where you are getting your information from
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  14. #58
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    A subie with what mods?

    They consistantly run 13's stock and would beat up on a stock wrx..... and people are moving well past 300whp with just exhaust/chip. 11's have been attained with bolt on's, custom tuning, and some rad's.

    I am not sure where you are getting your information from
    Check out the "07 WRX TR vs 335xi" thread for further clarification...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  15. #59
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Check out the "07 WRX TR vs 335xi" thread for further clarification...
    Eh, that's alright. I'll just assume you're wrong.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  16. #60
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Eh, that's alright. I'll just assume you're wrong.
    Thanks, Donnie...I needed a clamf this afternoon.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •