$$$ on the line, STi vs M5 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72

This is a discussion on $$$ on the line, STi vs M5 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by kgelster Am I the only one here who's actually driven an M5? The M5 weighs nearly 1,000lbs ...

  1. #16
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by kgelster View Post
    Am I the only one here who's actually driven an M5? The M5 weighs nearly 1,000lbs more, has a loose clutch and shifter, and is geared for absurd top-end.
    Race him from a dig, launch your car from 4k, keep it under 100.
    Despite everything above, the M5 will still put down mid 13's EASILY, and good drivers have pushed it into the high 12's. Granted, the STI is capable of similar feats, but the M5 traps more than 5mph higher. Point is, given drivers of remotely similar skill, the M5 is likely to take the win.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by kgelster View Post
    Am I the only one here who's actually driven an M5? The M5 weighs nearly 1,000lbs more, has a loose clutch and shifter, and is geared for absurd top-end.
    Race him from a dig, launch your car from 4k, keep it under 100.
    No, I've driven one a good bit too. I disagree that it has a loose clutch and shifter. Both things have as good or better feel than my STi. They're definitely geared a lot more for top end than a Subaru, but that's because they're Autobahn cruisers. That doesn't mean they don't have great gearing from 0-100 too. I prefer the tall German 1-3 gears over the shorter rally gears any day. Having to shift to 3rd to hit 60 is a bit ridiculous. I assume you think your instructions on how to run the race will make the STi win? I think it's an even race to 100 if the drivers are equal.

    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Despite everything above, the M5 will still put down mid 13's EASILY, and good drivers have pushed it into the high 12's. Granted, the STI is capable of similar feats, but the M5 traps more than 5mph higher. Point is, given drivers of remotely similar skill, the M5 is likely to take the win.
    +1, though I'd replace "remotely" with nothing or maybe "very".
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  4. #18
    Registered User Pactin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    You should be racing for respect, not money.
    Thats how we do it here in Paul Walker city.
    --Justin

    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

  5. #19
    Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,930
    And this one is of Baileys as close and you can get without getting your eyes wet.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    55
    just run a 1/8 mile. The STI should not have issues to kill it. But anything over 1/8 , would be hard for a stock STI.

  7. #21
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,789
    I Support ClubWRX
    This race won't count unless you achieve 134mph with pedestrians on a nearby sidewalk.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13
    He is a manual, i am a ok driver, no Shomahir (sp) here. I wanted to race for fun, nothing more. He is the one who wants to race for a money. kgelster you have that map that you can send me?
    Last edited by Boost Freak; 06-16-2008 at 09:59 AM.

  9. #23
    Registered User tmann05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jackson Center, OH
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost Freak View Post
    He is a manual, i am a ok driver, no Shomahir (sp) here. I wanted to race for fun, nothing more. He is the one who wants to race for a money. kgelster you have that map that you can send me?
    if he wants to bet money then you should set the race distance of 1/8 mi
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost Freak View Post
    He is a manual, i am a ok driver, no Shomahir (sp) here. I wanted to race for fun, nothing more. He is the one who wants to race for a money. kgelster you have that map that you can send me?
    Check your PMs, I sent it to you.

  11. #25
    Registered User HxcJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers View Post
    And this one is of Baileys as close and you can get without getting your eyes wet.
    yes sir, thank you sir.

  12. #26
    Registered User justin.jordan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    FAIRFIELD, CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by theReplacement View Post
    The odds are on the M5, should run low 13's stock, but if you drive it better, get a good launch and hit your shifts you'll have a chance.
    my 05 wrx is about as fast as a stock sti if not a tad faster the reason the m5 hit low 13's is because it had a professional driver and he probably had a good launch. the car is heavy he's probably @ 315 or 320 hp at the wheels so he does have the hp advantage but for every 100 lbs added to your car it will slow you down at least or around 1/10 of a second. my opinion get a cobb stage one and then i believe you will smoke him, and down load the launch control.... that will help you..
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

  13. #27
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    the reason the m5 hit low 13's is because it had a professional driver and he probably had a good launch.
    That is absolutely retarded logic.

    So the STI which runs similar times didn't have a professional driver doing it? Let me also say that with a majority cars the best times ever achieved are by owners at a typical dragway.
    Lastly, by that logic both cars are capable of very low 13's stock with "professional drivers", but the M5 is actually easier to launch so therefore your entire point becomes moot; if not actually works against your proposed claim.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  14. #28
    Registered User justin.jordan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    FAIRFIELD, CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    That is absolutely retarded logic.

    So the STI which runs similar times didn't have a professional driver doing it? Let me also say that with a majority cars the best times ever achieved are by owners at a typical dragway.
    Lastly, by that logic both cars are capable of very low 13's stock with "professional drivers", but the M5 is actually easier to launch so therefore your entire point becomes moot; if not actually works against your proposed claim.
    i was talking about the sti running low to mid 13's with a professional driver because it was true. so wat ur sayn is that car and drivers magazines pro test driver, is wrong, i never said that a regular driver couldnt beat a pro dirvers time so i dont know where you got that from... but yes i would say that a pro drag/ driver would have a better time due to the experiance of dragging all types of car..p.s. get off the high horse... wat did i mention that was not true?
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

  15. #29
    Registered User Timdog1650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,170
    Am I the only one who wonders why the OP would place a bet to win a race against a car when he has no idea how they stack up compared to each other?

  16. #30
    Registered User TurnWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,828
    race for pinks, and then when u lose give him some sti injectors lmao

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •