WRX vs. WRX STi - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. WRX STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by tehrhorn So guys, help me out here... I have about a 000 signing bonus with the air ...

Quote Originally Posted by tehrhorn View Post
    So guys, help me out here... I have about a $25000 signing bonus with the air force that im wanting to put into a car. my dad has had a 2002 wrx and I have fallen in love with subies ever since he got it. what would you suggest getting with about 30 grand? a newer sti? or an older subie with a swap? I have no idea. I just want something fast...
    25k sign in bonus. I need to join air force. how about find a old school impreza or 2.5RS and do jdm sti swap. you will have a faster and better handling impreza compared to any new sti.

Think about it... an impreza coupe, around 2700lbs (~500lbs lighter), 300awhp.
    Last edited by 4WDwRx; 08-20-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    O2 WRBlue

(( MODs + Pics ))

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been making searches for a long time to come to mod my ej25 wrx to about 300whp, or close to 400hp... In the meantime I've learned lots of things about WRXs and STIs and drove both of them for a long enough time to tell the difference in the feeling. I'd love to share it with you as I still haven't decided if to go for an STI or just pimp my ride :P Both cars were 2.5lt stock to the bone. Here it goes:

WRX is quite. More comfortable. Grips the road great. Only lcd at the back, no center diff no front lcd. Boosts from ~2000 easily with its smaller turbo and when it kicks in full at 3600 you feel it and it pulls good and fast to put a smile on your face. Uh, right up to 6000 max that is. Its 5 speed only and when you switch to 4th, acceleration is gone for good. After then the flat 4 boxer goes "where am I? Who am I?

STI is loud. Not as comfortable as a wrx. Hugs the road and won't let go. Active center diff and lcd at front. Boosts from, uhm, like ~2500 with its bigger turbo and when it kicks in full at 4000 it kicks in hard and you feel it and it starts to drag away and put a manic grin on your face afterward. Right up to redline it keeps revving and revving even though its supposed to max out at 5600. Thats what a bigger turbo comes handy. Its 6 speed and when you switch to 4th, acceleration is still a non-stop action and you easily hit 5th and still accelerate hard. Flat 4 boxer will sing its song "Gone With The wind" as you speed.

They are unique in their own way on the road and you can easily tell the difference between the two as of which ones made for racing and which one suits daily and relaxing driving most.

On the mechanical hand. WRX's trannys are strong as long as you are kind to them. If you switch gear properly they will carry your 300whp for a long enough time. But as already stated, they will eventually break down. When depends on your driving.. On the other hand STIs stranny is virtually bulletproof. There are lots of 400whp STIs around here that had no single problem at all, and they keep on going.

Engines are also virtually the same as the only differences are heads and cams. Block, pistons and all other internals are the same. Switch the head and cam and you've got an STI engine.

STIs intercooler is bigger, and WRXs is like a hazelnut
    STI has brembos which shows no fading at all regardless of speed drop or frequent brakes. But they are somewhat lack the feel and progress of WRXs. I personally prefer WRXs brakes as I do daily driving only, no circuits or whatever at weekends.

STI has a active center diff that can work as automatic or manual that allows you to divert torque to front, or back. Its default value is 41 front and 59 back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On the grip wise, as good as a WRXs handling is, STIs grip is simply phenomenal.

STI has blue trim inside and a complete new dash, which has red back light that I prefer against green Other than that they are virtually the same.

If you want to tune your wrx, try to limit at 300hp. Whichs 30hp above prodrive performance pack which comes with a guarantee continual. Meaning its probably a safe enough number. A TBE, heat shielded CAI (K&N has one, and its simply great), remap, and a bigger TMIC wil get you there and the power you'll have after these mods wil have a greater impact on your car then you can imagine. Going beyond that limşt for a wrx gets too troublesome and pricey. Meaning at that point, getting a same model STI will do you more good.

When you put the above mods to a work on the STI, you'll receive ~340hp with a good remap. Oh and put a FMIC instead of a TMIC and that number goes up, and your throttle response goes down (not that much noticable for many though). And you'll have a more reliable and a certainly better handling car which puts that power to use better. Up thre you go fo a bigger hp number and you'll then have to go internal. Cause cast pistons won't hold much if you drive like your hairs on fire

Theres too much knowlegde and too many things to write but even this post is way out of readibility. But if you took your time, hope it helped. Bear in mind though, that opinions are mine only . Can differ for different people.

In summary, if you want big power and grip, got for STI. If you want good power and good grip, go for WRX.

For me... I was trying to reach 400hp. Now I'm swapping my 2006 30k kms WRX with 2006 50k kms STI this saturday. I'll use it for a while and then start modding step by step. Trying to enjoy each step and hoping to learn more and share them with you.

Actually couldn't decided to go for a 2006 STI or 1998 Porshce 911 996 1998 Carrera 2.
    Porsche is 3.4lt flat six boxer with 300hp@6800rpm and 340Nm@4700rpm. Has a 4.7sec 0-60 and a whopping 170mph top speed which it gets to pretty quick. And, of course, its a porsche But also its 10 years old. But its in a great condition and looks like a 2 years old inside out.

Damn, I'm restless again
    Last edited by papagallo; 08-20-2008 at 04:05 PM.

If your wanting a performance car buy an STi...

**__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    Very good video!

report but who cares!
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by Rych View Post
    If your wanting a performance car buy an STi...
    are you inferring that the WRX is not a performance car?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by apex32 View Post
    like first poster said before 06, wrx was a 2.0L

Wrx has a smaller turbo, different block, intercooler, exhaust, tune etc.

STi also has a much better suspension, 6spd m/t and of course the brembos.

IMO if you can do it spend the extra on the sti, its more than worth it
    If I'd have had 1500 more of a down payment to whittle down the monthly note, I probably would have gotten an sti. I'm happy with my rex though as is. Can't wait to grab me a AP and tb exhaust for stage 2.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

Wrx - sti

I bought an 03 WRX back in 03, the reason being because it was red, a colour that is not available in Australia in STI's. I admit I'm not a great red car lover but every STI is either black blue or silver.and that's excactly what my friends drive. So I upted for the colour, which in hindsight wasn't the cheapest option by far.
    To cut a very long mod list short, my WRX produces 385 HP on all 4 wheels and eats STI's for lunch, and I still have a car that doesn't look like every other WRX/STI out there.
    Agreed, I have a 2.5 U.S. spec STI engine with lots of goodies but other than a heavy duty clutch I still have the standard 5 speed gearbox.
    So it all comes down to personal taste at the end of the day.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sooby View Post
    I bought an 03 WRX back in 03, the reason being because it was red, a colour that is not available in Australia in STI's. I admit I'm not a great red car lover but every STI is either black blue or silver.and that's excactly what my friends drive. So I upted for the colour, which in hindsight wasn't the cheapest option by far.
    To cut a very long mod list short, my WRX produces 385 HP on all 4 wheels and eats STI's for lunch, and I still have a car that doesn't look like every other WRX/STI out there.
    You get a props for being unique though.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

To cut a very long mod list short, my WRX produces 385 HP on all 4 wheels and eats STI's for lunch, .
    you have a moded wrx and brag about beating sti's... these sti's you referring to are they stock?
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    To cut a very long mod list short, my WRX produces 385 HP on all 4 wheels
    My WRX makes 3hp to the back right wheel, 6hp to the back left wheel, 2hp to the front right wheel, and 209hp to the front left wheel. I need to get that fixed.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    My WRX makes 3hp to the back right wheel, 6hp to the back left wheel, 2hp to the front right wheel, and 209hp to the front left wheel. I need to get that fixed.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

CLAMF
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That explains those involuntary right turns when you open that throttle up.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast