18g wrx vs stock EVO 9 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 18g wrx vs stock EVO 9 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by FJF Considering its cost and lack (Evo) tuner/community support, compared to a cable and free EvoFlash ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FJF
    Considering its cost and lack (Evo) tuner/community support, compared to a $90 cable and free EvoFlash that allows for remote customization and full support of the community, it isn't likely that the Accessport will gain favor among many.

Look at the success that Cobb has with the Subaru community.

Tactrix cable ($90) + RomRaider (free) + EcuFlash (free)

People are looking for plug-n-play compatibility, in which they can just push a button and safely run their mods without the hassle of knowing how to tune a car, or go to a shop to get it tuned.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in open-source tuning, but the Cobb product does have two things going for it - it's a solid name, and it puts out a good product for the genre of clients they're aiming for.

BTW: what part of NY you from?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FJF
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

Look at the success that Cobb has with the Subaru community.

Tactrix cable ($90) + RomRaider (free) + EcuFlash (free)

People are looking for plug-n-play compatibility, in which they can just push a button and safely run their mods without the hassle of knowing how to tune a car, or go to a shop to get it tuned.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in open-source tuning, but the Cobb product does have two things going for it - it's a solid name, and it puts out a good product for the genre of clients they're aiming for.
    All this may very well be true, but the Evo folks aren't buying, both figuratively and literally. There was more interest in the product before it was released. Once the dyngographs were posted and the pricing was announced, the interest diminished to essentially nothing. Only a handful of folks bought the Accessport, some selling it in EvoM classifieds almost immediately.

I think that if Cobb were to get some tuners on board and show that the Accessport can make safe power comparable to the current standard, it may do better. The price is still highly prohibitive, given the proliferation of very effective, low-cost, custom, e-tunes, but it would definitely appeal to those without laptops.

The Cobb brand does carry some weight, but not enough to make a difference in light of the product, and not enough to equal its impact in the Subaru community. Initially, there was some talk about the Accessport supporting other tuners' maps, which would have made it more viable, but that idea seemed to have died, too. If Cobb could ave partnered with a respected Evo tuner, perhaps the market perception would have turned the other way.

Edit: Here's a link to the Accessport forum on EvoM. Notice the dispersion of the threads/posts and the number of individuals participating.

BTW: what part of NY you from?
    I live Upstate.
    Last edited by FJF; 06-03-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Evo IX SE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FJF
    All this may very well be true, but the Evo folks aren't buying, both figuratively and literally. There was more interest in the product before it was released. Once the dyngographs were posted and the pricing was announced, the interest diminished to essentially nothing. Only a handful of folks bought the Accessport, some selling it in EvoM classifieds almost immediately.

I think that if Cobb were to get some tuners on board and show that the Accessport can make safe power comparable to the current standard, it may do better. The price is still highly prohibitive, given the proliferation of very effective, low-cost, custom, e-tunes, but it would definitely appeal to those without laptops.

The Cobb brand does carry some weight, but not enough to make a difference in light of the product, and not enough to equal its impact in the Subaru community. Initially, there was some talk about the Accessport supporting other tuners' maps, which would have made it more viable, but that idea seemed to have died, too. If Cobb could ave partnered with a respected Evo tuner, perhaps the market perception would have turned the other way.
    Fair enough - I wouldn't buy the AP anyway, but yeah

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    FJF, cobb has released an accessport for the evo and guess what...

cobb . evo 9 accessport . map listing

EPIC FAIL.

Tim knows what he's talking about.
    woah... evo's are jack high on boost
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys
    evo's are jack high on boost
    That's the difference between 2.0L/2.5L displacement

UNYSOC

seems to be alot of animosity in this thread.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    That's the difference between 2.0L/2.5L displacement

stageI for the 2005 2.0L sti is 16.5PSI compared to 20 for the evo

I'm not an expert on turbo vehicles but...

deductive reasoning through my current knowledge leads me to beleive that subaru has a stronger naturally apirated power train than the mitsubishi?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post

stageI for the 2005 2.5L sti is 16.5PSI compared to 20 for the evo

I'm not an expert on turbo vehicles but...

deductive reasoning through my current knowledge leads me to beleive that subaru has a stronger naturally apirated power train than the mitsubishi?
    Fixed
    Last edited by BigB007; 06-04-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Fixed
    i'm sooo confused right now..... all sti's at 2.5l?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

i'm sooo confused right now..... all sti's at 2.5l?
    USDM yes
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    USDM yes
    ahh i see. man really goes goes with the slogans americans think bigger=better hehe.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

ahh i see. man really goes goes with the slogans americans think bigger=better hehe.
    That's not the motivation for the 2.5L engine at all. It has to do with US emissions and fuel quality. The 2.0L is still the foundation of the JDM STi and makes comparable power/torque numbers to our cars.

FJF
    stageI for the 2005 2.0L sti is 16.5PSI compared to 20 for the evo
    FWIW, a IX runs 20.3 PSI stock. That's maximum boost, though. Power and boost on a 5-speed Evo are gauged by a 3rd gear pull. In 3rd gear, a IX will see ~19 PSI spike and then taper down to ~15 PSI at redline. For the bulk of the powerband, it runs ~17 PSI.

Modded, a IX is typically set at 21-23 PSI, again gauged by the boost spike during a 3rd gear pull. Some tuners go as high as 25 PSI. The boost spike usually happens ~3200-3800RPM (car-dependant) and then the boost tapers like stock, albeit reaching a higher plateau.
    Evo IX SE

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    That's not the motivation for the 2.5L engine at all. It has to do with US emissions and fuel quality. The 2.0L is still the foundation of the JDM STi and makes comparable power/torque numbers to our cars.
    ahh i see, things are starting to become clearer now.

JDM STI run higher boost then or not? if not, what about it gives it equal power / torque.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

ahh i see, things are starting to become clearer now.

JDM STI run higher boost then or not? if not, what about it gives it equal power / torque.
    JDM STi runs about 18psi and has a twinscroll turbo setup that makes its torque numbers comparable to a larger engine. Their emissions requirements are different so the car can run more boost. They also have gas that is comparable to 95 octane in the US, so they have a higher threshold for timing/afr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.