Subaru WRX Forum banner

18g wrx vs stock EVO 9

11K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  Timdog1650 
#1 ·
I have an 18g 06 wrx and I have a friend that will soon be getting an EVO 9. He is going to buy it stock and when he does I agreed to a friendly race at a local track.

I was wondering how and 18g WRX would stand up against his EVO 9 in everything like 0-60, 1/4 mile so on so fourth.

Also out of pure curiosity, on my way home I saw a nice looking Lotus Elise and I just kind of thought what would happen between these 2 cars if they were to race. Seeing as how I do not know the guy and am not about to go seek him out and race through school zones (although I hear you get better traction in school zones) What would happen with an 18g wrx vs a Lotus Elise?

Sorry for the long post

Cliff notes

1. Who would win 18g 06 WRX or stock evo 9

2. Who would win 18g 06 WRX or Lotus Elise

#4 ·
Straight line drag races past 50mph the 18g rex wins. Any race that involves turning WRX loses against both. Any race that shuts down before the WRX gets to stretch 3rd gear, it loses to the EVO and likely beats the Elise. The 18g is a nice turbo but it would not be a total blowout till up around 60mph where the EVO's stock tune and the Elise's small engine would start to hold them back. Now if it was a stage 2 reflashed EVO...you better bring your A game because they make WRX 18g numbers with just a couple mods and a tune.

#5 ·
Any race that involves turning WRX loses against both.
Really even if the rex had springs and strut bars I realize springs are not a fully tuned suspension but its a little step in the right direction. Do you think if I had coilovers and sway bars I would have a chance against the EVO I realize the Elise is like a life size go-kart so I don't even think thats plausible.

#16 ·
In all fairness, there are Evo vendors who offer staged upgrade packages (Buschur, for one). However, FJF is correct in that it's almost unheard of in the Evo forums I frequent to hear someone say they have an Evo stage *whatever*. Almost everyone just lists the individual mods they have, or simply say something like "a Green with all supporting mods".

Whether this is because Evo owners generally don't buy mods in complete stages, or some completely different reason, I don't know.

#17 ·
I'm gonna have to go with the evo guy here... stages are usually known to subaru cars... if you are just trying to reference that to what the subaru guy knows... then say what we refer to as a 'stage 2' on our cars...

I, myself, have never heard of a stage 2 evo... I have always heard of an evo with a turboback exhaust and reflash... mbc or whatever...

Just my 2 cents though... :tongue:

#22 ·
STAGE 2 OR ANY STAGE, is just another term for the mod that you have established on ur vehicle. true im a stage 2 wrx, but i also have a 160 colder thermostat, uppipe, cai, but i still reffer to myself as a stage 2 for short. instead of having to list all my mods, stage 2 is a short referrance into how many mods you actually have on ur vehicle, more commonly used term on subaru's. but also it can be true on evo's or other cars such as the supra, I HAVE DRIVEN EVO'S i have worked on evo's i even went with my friend that owns an evo to get the ecu reflashed for his mods on his vehicle, but still stage 2 is just a shorter term mostly used on suby's, and this site and i know its used on the srt4 forums and in there community. it's just a shorter term for commonly performed mods.:)

#23 ·
I'M guna get the 18 g turbo i know it has a lot of lag, but when that high boost hits and it's 75% efficiancy rating that has to throw you back in ur seat, I CANT WAIT. i wont really mind the lag that bad as long as the boost is worth the wait:).

#26 ·
Unfortunately, the recently released Accessport is virtually a non-entity in the Evo World. Any vendor is free to refer to their product in any way they choose. Becoming an accepted, commonly understood concept is a different story. Cobb's choice of language most likely stems from its experience in other markets. Considering its cost and lack (Evo) tuner/community support, compared to a $90 cable and free EvoFlash that allows for remote customization and full support of the community, it isn't likely that the Accessport will gain favor among many.

As mentioned, some vendors do offer staged upgrades for the Evo, but they differ from what is being discussed here. For example, Buschur's Stage 1 is essentially a MBC, TBE and a tune. They include a filter, as well, IIRC. The rest of the stages are done in preparation for a big turbo, as they'll yield little by themselves. At the very least, the stock turbo needs to be max'ed before seeing any substantial gains and that's another ball of wax, altogether.

There are many routes at one's disposal when modding an Evo, which may be why a staged upgrade path doesn't make much sense once the car is past the first juncture.

#31 ·
FJF said:
Considering its cost and lack (Evo) tuner/community support, compared to a $90 cable and free EvoFlash that allows for remote customization and full support of the community, it isn't likely that the Accessport will gain favor among many.
:rolleyes:

Look at the success that Cobb has with the Subaru community.

Tactrix cable ($90) + RomRaider (free) + EcuFlash (free)

People are looking for plug-n-play compatibility, in which they can just push a button and safely run their mods without the hassle of knowing how to tune a car, or go to a shop to get it tuned.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in open-source tuning, but the Cobb product does have two things going for it - it's a solid name, and it puts out a good product for the genre of clients they're aiming for.

BTW: what part of NY you from?

#32 · (Edited)
:rolleyes:

Look at the success that Cobb has with the Subaru community.

Tactrix cable ($90) + RomRaider (free) + EcuFlash (free)

People are looking for plug-n-play compatibility, in which they can just push a button and safely run their mods without the hassle of knowing how to tune a car, or go to a shop to get it tuned.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in open-source tuning, but the Cobb product does have two things going for it - it's a solid name, and it puts out a good product for the genre of clients they're aiming for.
All this may very well be true, but the Evo folks aren't buying, both figuratively and literally. There was more interest in the product before it was released. Once the dyngographs were posted and the pricing was announced, the interest diminished to essentially nothing. Only a handful of folks bought the Accessport, some selling it in EvoM classifieds almost immediately.

I think that if Cobb were to get some tuners on board and show that the Accessport can make safe power comparable to the current standard, it may do better. The price is still highly prohibitive, given the proliferation of very effective, low-cost, custom, e-tunes, but it would definitely appeal to those without laptops.

The Cobb brand does carry some weight, but not enough to make a difference in light of the product, and not enough to equal its impact in the Subaru community. Initially, there was some talk about the Accessport supporting other tuners' maps, which would have made it more viable, but that idea seemed to have died, too. If Cobb could ave partnered with a respected Evo tuner, perhaps the market perception would have turned the other way.

Edit: Here's a link to the Accessport forum on EvoM. Notice the dispersion of the threads/posts and the number of individuals participating.

BTW: what part of NY you from?
I live Upstate.

#33 ·
FJF said:
All this may very well be true, but the Evo folks aren't buying, both figuratively and literally. There was more interest in the product before it was released. Once the dyngographs were posted and the pricing was announced, the interest diminished to essentially nothing. Only a handful of folks bought the Accessport, some selling it in EvoM classifieds almost immediately.

I think that if Cobb were to get some tuners on board and show that the Accessport can make safe power comparable to the current standard, it may do better. The price is still highly prohibitive, given the proliferation of very effective, low-cost, custom, e-tunes, but it would definitely appeal to those without laptops.

The Cobb brand does carry some weight, but not enough to make a difference in light of the product, and not enough to equal its impact in the Subaru community. Initially, there was some talk about the Accessport supporting other tuners' maps, which would have made it more viable, but that idea seemed to have died, too. If Cobb could ave partnered with a respected Evo tuner, perhaps the market perception would have turned the other way.
Fair enough - I wouldn't buy the AP anyway, but yeah :p

#37 ·
:screwy:

stageI for the 2005 2.0L sti is 16.5PSI compared to 20 for the evo

I'm not an expert on turbo vehicles but...

deductive reasoning through my current knowledge leads me to beleive that subaru has a stronger naturally apirated power train than the mitsubishi?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.