18g wrx vs stock EVO 9 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 18g wrx vs stock EVO 9 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In all fairness, there are Evo vendors who offer staged upgrade packages (Buschur, for one). However, FJF is correct in ...

In all fairness, there are Evo vendors who offer staged upgrade packages (Buschur, for one). However, FJF is correct in that it's almost unheard of in the Evo forums I frequent to hear someone say they have an Evo stage *whatever*. Almost everyone just lists the individual mods they have, or simply say something like "a Green with all supporting mods".

Whether this is because Evo owners generally don't buy mods in complete stages, or some completely different reason, I don't know.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm gonna have to go with the evo guy here... stages are usually known to subaru cars... if you are just trying to reference that to what the subaru guy knows... then say what we refer to as a 'stage 2' on our cars...

I, myself, have never heard of a stage 2 evo... I have always heard of an evo with a turboback exhaust and reflash... mbc or whatever...

Just my 2 cents though...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

hahaha so who won?

I Support ClubWRX
    Geez, you guys sure spent a lot of energy arguing the pronunciation of potato.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Geez, you guys sure spent a lot of energy arguing the pronunciation of potato.
    God D****t Ray, it's Po-tah-toe

I don't think FJF is trolling, he is trying to clarify to the OP. Lets get back on subject and answer the OP's concern.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

STAGE 2 OR ANY STAGE, is just another term for the mod that you have established on ur vehicle. true im a stage 2 wrx, but i also have a 160 colder thermostat, uppipe, cai, but i still reffer to myself as a stage 2 for short. instead of having to list all my mods, stage 2 is a short referrance into how many mods you actually have on ur vehicle, more commonly used term on subaru's. but also it can be true on evo's or other cars such as the supra, I HAVE DRIVEN EVO'S i have worked on evo's i even went with my friend that owns an evo to get the ecu reflashed for his mods on his vehicle, but still stage 2 is just a shorter term mostly used on suby's, and this site and i know its used on the srt4 forums and in there community. it's just a shorter term for commonly performed mods.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I'M guna get the 18 g turbo i know it has a lot of lag, but when that high boost hits and it's 75% efficiancy rating that has to throw you back in ur seat, I CANT WAIT. i wont really mind the lag that bad as long as the boost is worth the wait.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

FJF, cobb has released an accessport for the evo and guess what...

cobb . evo 9 accessport . map listing

EPIC FAIL.

Tim knows what he's talking about.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3

EPIC FAIL.

2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

FJF
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post

EPIC FAIL.

Unfortunately, the recently released Accessport is virtually a non-entity in the Evo World. Any vendor is free to refer to their product in any way they choose. Becoming an accepted, commonly understood concept is a different story. Cobb's choice of language most likely stems from its experience in other markets. Considering its cost and lack (Evo) tuner/community support, compared to a $90 cable and free EvoFlash that allows for remote customization and full support of the community, it isn't likely that the Accessport will gain favor among many.

As mentioned, some vendors do offer staged upgrades for the Evo, but they differ from what is being discussed here. For example, Buschur's Stage 1 is essentially a MBC, TBE and a tune. They include a filter, as well, IIRC. The rest of the stages are done in preparation for a big turbo, as they'll yield little by themselves. At the very least, the stock turbo needs to be max'ed before seeing any substantial gains and that's another ball of wax, altogether.

There are many routes at one's disposal when modding an Evo, which may be why a staged upgrade path doesn't make much sense once the car is past the first juncture.
    Evo IX SE

Quote Originally Posted by FJF View Post
    Unfortunately, the recently released Accessport is virtually a non-entity in the Evo World. Any vendor is free to refer to their product in any way they choose. Becoming an accepted, commonly understood concept is a different story. Cobb's choice of language most likely stems from its experience in other markets. Considering its cost and lack (Evo) tuner/community support, compared to a $90 cable and free EvoFlash that allows for remote customization and full support of the community, it isn't likely that the Accessport will gain favor among many.

As mentioned, some vendors do offer staged upgrades for the Evo, but they differ from what is being discussed here. For example, Buschur's Stage 1 is essentially a MBC, TBE and a tune. They include a filter, as well, IIRC. The rest of the stages are done in preparation for a big turbo, as they'll yield little by themselves. At the very least, the stock turbo needs to be max'ed before seeing any substantial gains and that's another ball of wax, altogether.

There are many routes at one's disposal when modding an Evo, which may be why a staged upgrade path doesn't make much sense once the car is past the first juncture.

SO HOW DID YOUR FIRST EVO BREAK!!!!!?

FJF
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    SO HOW DID YOUR FIRST EVO BREAK!!!!!?

It was wrecked when a SUV ran a red light. Why do you ask?

FWIW, both of my Evos were/are reliable to a fault. No unscheduled dealer visits, no warranty claims (other than a frayed seam on the SE's steering wheel that was replaced on delivery), and no squeaks or rattles.
    Evo IX SE

Quote Originally Posted by FJF View Post

It was wrecked when a SUV ran a red light. Why do you ask?

FWIW, both of my Evos were/are reliable to a fault. No unscheduled dealer visits, no warranty claims (other than a frayed seam on the SE's steering wheel that was replaced on delivery), and no squeaks or rattles.
    I DO LIKE EVO'S but i always like the wrx sound and engine better. but i would love to have a evo as well, in time when i can aford 2 cars, a highly modded evo was the second fastest car i was ever in i think he was runing about 24 psi after the pressure drop. the first was my dads zo6 modded with exhaust intake and tune.

FJF
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    I DO LIKE EVO'S but i always like the wrx sound and engine better. but i would love to have a evo as well, in time when i can aford 2 cars, a highly modded evo was the second fastest car i was ever in i think he was runing about 24 psi after the pressure drop. the first was my dads zo6 modded with exhaust intake and tune.
    I've spent time with a C6 Z06, as well; it's a very impressive machine. Locally, we have a 10 second Evo that walks the 'Vette, but it isn't exactly fun to drive on the street. One of these days I'd really like to add a C6 to the stable.

I usually advise folks to shy away from heavily modding their cars, if they plan of driving them daily. A IX with basic mods, conservatively tuned at ~21-22PSI (3rd gear spike) can run easy 12s with stock-like reliability and better than stock driveability.
    Evo IX SE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.