new cobalt ss - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on new cobalt ss within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i totally understand chrisp. i have a 06 wrx wagon with minor mods (cobb stage 1, short shift kit). while ...

i totally understand chrisp. i have a 06 wrx wagon with minor mods (cobb stage 1, short shift kit). while driving on the highway minding my own business with my 4 year old in the back seat. some punk in an rsx (non type s) drops it in neutral, starts reving his 160 horse powered fart coffee can exhaust then passes me on the shoulder. good thing nobody was broken down on the shoulder changing a flat tire. i yawned at him and gave him the thumbs down. that got him mad then he starts cutting people off, weaving in and out of traffic. take it to the track.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by verzo70 View Post
    i totally understand chrisp. i have a 06 wrx wagon with minor mods (cobb stage 1, short shift kit). while driving on the highway minding my own business with my 4 year old in the back seat. some punk in an rsx (non type s) drops it in neutral, starts reving his 160 horse powered fart coffee can exhaust then passes me on the shoulder. good thing nobody was broken down on the shoulder changing a flat tire. i yawned at him and gave him the thumbs down. that got him mad then he starts cutting people off, weaving in and out of traffic. take it to the track.
    yup. we are actually going to new england dragway fri night to race. for 20 bucks you can run all night. should run somewhere in the high 12s

SCC is calling the new cobalt the domestic type-r, we'll see when it hits the streets but from what i've read so far its a pretty good car.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1 View Post
    SCC is calling the new cobalt the domestic type-r, we'll see when it hits the streets but from what i've read so far its a pretty good car.

I'd love for that to be true. While I've never driven a Type-R the owners who have seem to have a love affair with them like no other car. . . Hopefully this car does as well on the handling side.

And obviously that guy didn't know he was going up against a *modded* STi. On that note, subaru shootout tomorrow. Can't wait to see the flyin cars!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    yup. we are actually going to new england dragway fri night to race. for 20 bucks you can run all night. should run somewhere in the high 12s
    So, what ET and MPH were your timeslips showing?

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    So, what ET and MPH were your timeslips showing?
    kinda hopin for a better time, but it was my first trip with the car. best out of 3 runs. I was told I could probably run faster but I think I gave it all she had. 12.83@106.2. reaction time coulda been better

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    kinda hopin for a better time, but it was my first trip with the car. best out of 3 runs. I was told I could probably run faster but I think I gave it all she had. 12.83@106.2. reaction time coulda been better
    Nice run.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Those are respectable results for a DP, tune, and panel filter. I'm guessing your 60' was in the low 1.8 or high 1.7 range? If not, you can still wring a little more out of her...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I agree, you should be able to beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Puff of black smoke huh....sure you didnt race the new Turbo Diesel verison?
    At least it wasn't spouting white smoke. I was trailing a MSp6 and it was coughing up puffs of white smoke everytime he got the pedal.

The Cobalt has a decent engine thats very friendly to mods. Too bad its just FWD with no LSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    The Cobalt has a decent engine thats very friendly to mods. Too bad its just FWD with no LSD.
    A LSD is available as a $495 option.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    At least it wasn't spouting white smoke. I was trailing a MSp6 and it was coughing up puffs of white smoke everytime he got the pedal.

Because 14's are ill hot fire.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

260hp and 2900lbs...sounds like lightly modded WRXs should be a tiny bit worried..
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    260hp and 2900lbs...sounds like lightly modded WRXs should be a tiny bit worried..
    Yeah. Just wait until Mazda releases the MazdaSpeed MX-5 Miata! A car that weighs around 2500 lbs with ~260hp is going to be mighty fast off the line.

There are actually a lot of small turbo cars on the market now as opposed to 6 or 7 years ago.

Lets see:
    Turbo Cobalt
    Turbo Solstice
    Turbo Sky
    Turbo Volvo hatchback
    Turbo Chevy HHR
    Turbo Chrysler (forgot the name), but its another small car with a turbo 4 cylinder and around 260hp
    MazdaSpeed6
    VW GTI

The WRX is no longer a rarity in that its a small car with a powerfull turbo4. However, the WRX still has the edge in that it's a fulltime AWD vehicle which aids in launch the car ahead of the pack. But the stock TD04 loses boost at the higher RPMs and begin to be overtaken around the 1/4 mile mark. A little bigger turbo, intercooler and a tune, and the WRX will still beat all those other vehicles from the 0-60 (it already does beat them in the 0-60) and will still be pulling strong at the 1/4 unlike now in that it starts to run out of breath.

Another brilliant post by Chrisp.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast