STi vs Mazdaspeed 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs Mazdaspeed 6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an 04 STi and my buddy just bought a speed 6 AWD and about 274hp. I know that ...

STi vs Mazdaspeed 6

I have an 04 STi and my buddy just bought a speed 6 AWD and about 274hp. I know that the speed 6 weighs more but why is that car so much slower than mine?

Kind of funny b/c all of my friends (who don't know **** about subaru's) thought that this would be a comparable track car but it is just so much slower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thats a good question, the only thing I can think of is the way the transmission handles the power and applies it, they are nice cars but you are right they are pretty slow, my wrx beat one last week

6speed vs. 5speed?

and i wouldn't under estimate that weight difference, probably 3-400lbs

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    maybe he didnt know how to drive.
    my mom had a ms6 and it felt pretty damn fast whenever i drove it. then again i've never driven an sti so i cant really compare the two

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_04WRX View Post
    6speed vs. 5speed?

and i wouldn't under estimate that weight difference, probably 3-400lbs

the speed 6 and sti are both 6 speeds

desiree

I Support ClubWRX
    2004 STi ~3250 lbs @ 300 (rated) hp
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX and STi spec page

you didn't state what year MS6 but ~3600 lbs @ 274 (rated) hp

and you wonder why the MS6 is slower
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

How is this not obvious?

The STI makes 26 hp more and weighs over 400 lbs less. That combination makes for a pretty big different in a cars performance.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    How is this not obvious?

The STI makes 26 hp more and weighs over 400 lbs less. That combination makes for a pretty big different in a cars performance.
    +1

100lbs=10hp=.1sec qtr mile
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

even with that weight difference the 06 speed 6 does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds slower than my stock STi. That has to be more than the few hundred lb and hp difference.

there has got to be something else to this or does weight make that much difference. Could it have something to do with the weight distribution of the car?

At this 1.5 sec difference from 0-60 my STi should be 650lbs lighter with the 26hp difference.
    Last edited by bulldog8; 05-03-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog8 View Post
    even with that weight difference the 06 speed 6 does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds slower than my stock STi. That has to be more than the few hundred lb and hp difference.

there has got to be something else to this or does weight make that much difference. Could it have something to do with the weight distribution of the car?
    It likely has more to do with the driveline losses through the drivetrain, and a bit with the "loose nut behind the wheel".

A guy I used to know "Bigg Tim" on the Mazda forums baseline dyno'd at 220whp/270wtq

A stock MS6 ran 13.5 @ 99mph - Stock Speed6: 13.5 @ 99 - Mazda Forums

Here's another link to Baseline and modded numbers - Speed6 Dyno numbers - short video - Mazda Forums
    271whp/307wtq on 91 octane with mods (baseline - 240whp/267wtq).

My friend Sean has a MS6, and it's very nice inside - not as fast as my WRX, but he is stock. The MS6 was never meant to compete with the STI, it was meant to compete with the Legacy GT.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Vez
    The MS3 has the same engine as the MS6...but a lot lighter. I thought that's why they were faster. A better race would be against the MS3, yes?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    the ms3 has limited 1st and 2nd gear though.. so unless it was from a roll then probably not haha

desiree

yeah that's true but i was just honestly expecting somewhat of a similar feeling. I knew it would be slower and a much inferior car to the STi but i didn't think it would feel like i could launch mine in 3rd and beat it

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    The MS3 has the same engine as the MS6...but a lot lighter. I thought that's why they were faster. A better race would be against the MS3, yes?
    Definitely yes. I went for a Mazda fun run last year with my WRX and there were a few MS3's with us. They're pretty quick, especially from a roll. The interior is a bit overdone for my taste, but it's still nice.

The MS6 has trouble making its rated power because of its horrible TMIC design. With only a grille-facing duct to bring air to the IC, it ends up being an inter-warmer most of the time.

Before going with the whole duct system, they really should have made it a fenderwell intercooler since they just had to avoid a hood scoop. All the turbo cars of the 90s had 'em in the fenderwell with no trouble.

My LGT is about to prove the single biggest advantage it has over the Mazda -- a proven upgrade path
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.