best car w/o premium

This is a discussion on best car w/o premium within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was looking for a decently fast car that is also comfortable and uses regular gas. Also good gas milege. ...

best car w/o premium

I was looking for a decently fast car that is also comfortable and uses regular gas. Also good gas milege.
    I was looking at the scion tc, mazda 3, i think gti

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by importfan878 View Post
    I was looking for a decently fast car that is also comfortable and uses regular gas. Also good gas milege.
    Good luck. The gti as do all VW's call for premium so thats out. I know the tc runs on regular.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Why regular because it costs less that premium? Premium is usually .20 cents more than regular, so you'll only be spending 2-3 more dollars per fill up, gas cost alot, regular or premium. Period, if that that is your reasoning that is*
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

v6 or v8 - 87 octane

any new Mustang runs on 87 octane
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

even at max .50cent differnce in 87 to 93 and 15gallons a week. its $53 for regular at 3.50 a gallon. $60 for premium. $365 extra a year. or a dollar a day. i thinks its worth it.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

its usually 40c morei n NJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Picking a car based on octane requirement is a bad idea, regardless of gas prices. Just my $0.02.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

besides the prices any1 got any more ideas? what about 2.5i wagon
    Last edited by importfan878; 04-21-2008 at 07:23 PM.

I wouldn't base the purchase of a car solely on octane requirement... Just doesn't make sense. If you're determined for that to be the case though, then here is what I recommend and why:

Mustang GT - Will run on regular and is fast. Regular gas + 300hp and decent handling potential with the right mods is a pretty solid choice IMO.

Mazda3 - Not that fast, but handles well, has a nice interior, and is quite fun to drive. DON'T even consider a Scion TC when you could get a Mazda3 for the same price. It's just as fast, but handles and brakes MUCH better, and has a nicer interior.

Altima 2.5s - A bit larger and more expensive, but good on gas, nice interior, and has solid power for a 4 cylinder.

I would go for the Mustang because it is by far the best bang for the buck performance wise, but gas mileage isn't that great. At a close second would be a Mazda3 wagon.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

When regular was $1.20 and premium was $1.40, some people avoided those cars for the same reason -- "the gas is too expensive." I don't know anybody who wouldn't jump at the chance for $1.40 gas now, or $2.80 gas.

That's the thing -- whatever the going rate, people still think they're saving a fortune by going with the cheaper choice. It's a perceived savings but if you're going to buy a sporty car and attempt to drive it like one, you might as well get a car that'll do what you want it to.

Turbo cars are ideal for gas mileage. Drive without boost and it's easy to do upper 20s on the highway. If you need power, it's there at the press of the pedal.

A friend has a diesel Excursion that gets ~ 16 mpg in town (btw, my Ram gets 10). He's buying a new Civic coupe (non-Si) to save money on gas. I wonder if he's calculated how long it'll take to get that investment back even if the Civic gets 25 mpg in town. "You know, gas is expensive. I'll spend another $16,000 now so I can save it in $20/wk increments."
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post

A friend has a diesel Excursion that gets ~ 16 mpg in town (btw, my Ram gets 10). He's buying a new Civic coupe (non-Si) to save money on gas. I wonder if he's calculated how long it'll take to get that investment back even if the Civic gets 25 mpg in town. "You know, gas is expensive. I'll spend another $16,000 now so I can save it in $20/wk increments."
    I know a lot of people that have made similar decision... My buddy is doing it right now. Going to sell his Dodge Ram (which is upside down on by about $5,000, so that he can finance a newer and more expensive 6 cylinder truck/suv that will only get maybe 5mpg better.
    He rolled debt from his last car into his Ram, and now is going to roll the debt from his Ram into an even more expensive car, lol. A $15,000 Jeep is going to be financed for nearly $24,000 all said and done!!!!! Just to save 5mpg on gas
    I love the guy though... he's my best friend, but just bad with this stuff.

I don't even try explaining it to people anymore. Some people are just born with financial common sense and others are not. It is hard to explain it to someone because they usually already have their mind made up and only listen to what they WANT TO hear.

This is why I want to go into financial management and planning, so I can b!tch slap some sense into these people making retarded financial decisions because in their "mind" it makes sense, but they never actually sit down to do the dirty work and calculate numbers, balances, and cost-benefit analysis'.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

In my automotive engineering class my last year in college we studied the perceived benefit of buying a fuel efficient hybrid. Because of the premium price of a hybrid versus a regular civic or accord, you would need to be paying an average of over $8.00 a gallon over the life of the car (15 years) to make it viable. Or you would need to own the car for something like 55 years at the current price of gas/national inflation to make the gas savings worth while. If you're concerned about fuel economy and octane requirement, there' really only one car you should be considering

Click for fuel savings...

Your best option would be "IT" because it gets 300 mpg and im pretty sure it doesnt run on premium....even if it did, you'd get your moneys worth....

Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

besides the prices any1 got any more ideas? what about 2.5i wagon
    I have an '02 2.5RS and it's running great with regular...that's what it asks for, plus it has everything but a turbo on it, but is turbo ready also!

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    Your best option would be "IT" because it gets 300 mpg and im pretty sure it doesnt run on premium....even if it did, you'd get your moneys worth....

I looks a bit uncomfortable...What aboot (canadian accent) '07 civic si. 32 mpg highway, and it has some good punch....ah crap...but it requires 91 oct
    Last edited by McGizzle; 04-22-2008 at 01:26 PM.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311