2006 wrx VS. c5 corvette how they stack up
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 wrx VS. c5 corvette how they stack up within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; anyone know what a 2006 wrx would need to keep up/beat a stock c5 vette, non z06, at the strip ...

2006 wrx VS. c5 corvette how they stack up

anyone know what a 2006 wrx would need to keep up/beat a stock c5 vette, non z06, at the strip or from a roll?

then, what would the wrx need to get the best of the z06?

i'm talking what kind of hp/tq, turbo, etc. will be needed.
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. - Carroll Shelby

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXwheelman View Post
    anyone know what a 2006 wrx would need to keep up/beat a stock c5 vette, non z06, at the strip or from a roll?

then, what would the wrx need to get the best of the z06?

i'm talking what kind of hp/tq, turbo, etc. will be needed.

Tough to call. My numerous trips to the drag strip with my 06 WRX has netted the following results:

Not all drivers are created equally. I watched a C6 Z06 run a 13.8 and a 2003 Z06 run a 14.0 at sea level.

Do you have a time the c5 is running? Or a range you'd like to be in? Stock or modded c5?

I can tell you from experience, that a Cobb Stage 2 06 wrx can do a 13.8 with a 1.825 60foot no problem. After a protune, I have no doubt my car as it sits in the parking lot is capable of at least a 13.2, maybe a 12.9999 if the moons align and the car gods are apeased. I also know that a protuned stage 2 STi can run consistent 12.1's-12.2's. (several here do).

For 11.9x or lower, the general formula seems to be 330+ WHP, which is about a (td06h-20g, fp green, sr56, etc.) swap with a protune and supporting mods.

So for
    14.xx's-13.xx's = ~ $0-$2000
    12.xx's-11.xx's = ~ $2500-$7000
    10.xx's-9.xx's = ~ $10,000 +
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 04-10-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Tough to call. My numerous trips to the drag strip with my 06 WRX has netted the following results:

Not all drivers are created equally. I watched a C6 Z06 run a 13.8 and a 2003 Z06 run a 14.0 at sea level.

Do you have a time the c5 is running? Or a range you'd like to be in? Stock or modded c5?

I can tell you from experience, that a Cobb Stage 2 06 wrx can do a 13.8 with a 1.825 60foot no problem. After a protune, I have no doubt my car as it sits in the parking lot is capable of at least a 13.2, maybe a 12.9999 if the moons align and the car gods are apeased. I also know that a protuned stage 2 STi can run consistent 12.1's-12.2's. (several here do).

For 11.9x or lower, the general formula seems to be 330+ WHP, which is about a (td06h-20g, fp green, sr56, etc.) swap with a protune and supporting mods.

So for
    14.xx's-13.xx's = ~ $0-$2000
    12.xx's-11.xx's = ~ $2500-$7000
    10.xx's-9.xx's = ~ $10,000 +

stock c5 vette
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. - Carroll Shelby

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXwheelman View Post
    stock c5 vette
    Stock c5 vette are a 350hp mid 13.xx car. A c5 z06 (2002+) is 405hp high 12 sec car.

So to be as fast as a stock c5 down the 1/4 mile you need protune stage 2. To do the way I did is $700 for Cobb AP, $400 for TBE, $300 for dyno tune, $200 for sti tmic.

total $1600.

Ought to get you low 13.s if you can drive.

to get you to the 12.xx's to compete with the Z06, you need at least all of the above plus a VF39 $400, Fuel pump $100, 3 port BCS $100.

total of $2200.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Along the same lines... how safe is the vf39 swap on our 06's? I called and talked to a guy at Cobb and he said that as long as you don't launch it all the time and take it easy on the gears... you will be fine... any truth to this?

Right now I am at stage 2... OTS map... can't decide to either get the vf39 swap and protune... or just protune stage 2... decisions decisions...

sorry to highjack... figured we were on the same subject... any input anyone?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret030 View Post
    Along the same lines... how safe is the vf39 swap on our 06's? I called and talked to a guy at Cobb and he said that as long as you don't launch it all the time and take it easy on the gears... you will be fine... any truth to this?

Right now I am at stage 2... OTS map... can't decide to either get the vf39 swap and protune... or just protune stage 2... decisions decisions...

sorry to highjack... figured we were on the same subject... any input anyone?
    Well I can tell you that a protune on stage 2 is very nice and was a big power upgrade on my car.

Yes the vf39 swap will stress the gears. But yes it would be fun!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

is the RA gearset a legit upgrade if you want the vf39 swap on an 06? Don't have the money for a sti 6 speed or PPGs!!

edit: after reading some threads... it doesn't look like the RA gears are that much better than stock?!

Maybe i will just add an sti tmic... a new fuel pump and get stage 2 protuned and call it a day... for now... hahaha i know i will get the itch later down the road... but money better spent on my new house is a better option... getting to be a good all around car now... suspension mods and other stuff really are a good upgrade!
    Last edited by Ret030; 04-11-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    If you take it easy on the gears a VF39 will be okay for awhile... However, the tranny will go sooner than later. IMO, it's not worth the risk unless you got money in the bank "in case **** happens."
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret030 View Post
    is the RA gearset a legit upgrade if you want the vf39 swap on an 06? Don't have the money for a sti 6 speed or PPGs!!
    They're definitely an upgrade. You should go with cryo-treated RA's. I've heard mixed reviews on them. I know the regular RA's aren't much of an improvement over the stock gears.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

They sell 10 second kits on a few sites , you should google that

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. View Post
    They sell 10 second kits on a few sites , you should google that
    10 second kits? please explain... im not shooting for a 10 second quarter mile by the way...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!

For a 2006 WRX 5spd with a fairly good driver to:

Beat a C5 from a dig = Stage2 setup. At this point you could run right next to one and even take it.

Beat a C5 from a roll = They trap 106mph+ stock. You're going to need AT LEAST a VF39 setup to even keep up. You're talking about a car with a motor built to run at high speeds (LS1) and a car that sucks balls at high speeds (wrx). A VF39 with all supporting mods AND a protune should give you a good chance though.

C5 Z06 from a dig = Expect to need something will push you deep into the 12's. An 18G would probably do the trick.

C5 Z06 from a roll = Not even an 18G would get this done. They trap at 115mph +. "Maybe" an 18G or 20G with an awesome tune would get you there, but who knows.

Point is: Racing vettes from a roll in a wrx requires money. Keeping up with a C5 is easy from a dig with a couple grand. Keeping up with a Z06 requires a turbo that you stock tranny can't handle so expect to spend TONS of money to get a reinforced tranny.

The wrx isn't made to race vettes. If that is what you want get ready to spend a lot of money.... especially if you have any plans on beating Z06's anytime soon.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 04-11-2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I have seen a heavily modified, very aggressively tuned stage 2 STi beat an older Z06. A WRX is going to need some serious juju in it to make that kind of power.

If that was my only goal, I would get a td06-20g, tgv deletes, big TMIC, meth injection, ported/polished exhaust manifold, aftermarket uppipe, 3" TBE (APS), bigger fuel injectors, accessport protune and have someone tune it for high speed/topend (big boost up top, very aggressive map above 4k rpm). That being said, you're trying to ice-skate uphill....I think DTR hit the nail on the head when he said you're trying to beat a topend monster in a realm where the WRX blows goats.

Best of luck,

~Tim

Banned
    you need an sti. a newer c5 runs high 12's. My 06 sti with downpipe and tune will run high twelves. Can't imagine all the work you would have to put into a regular wrx to keep up or beat a c5

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    you need an sti... Can't imagine all the work you would have to put into a regular wrx to keep up or beat a c5
    Actually, if you read some of the previous posts you'll see that he doesn't need an STI and there's no need to imagine all the work that needs to be put into the regular WRX 'cause it's mostly spelled out for you.

To the OP - if you've got the money to dump into the WRX you can make it as fast as you want to.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast