2006 wrx VS. c5 corvette how they stack up - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 wrx VS. c5 corvette how they stack up within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by chrisp for the record, I bet their is not a single person on this whole forum with ...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    for the record, I bet their is not a single person on this whole forum with a stage 2 wrx that has beaten a vette. not even a zo6 just a regular vette. I garaunteeeee all you guys that talk a big game havent even come close. not trying to be a dink just trying to prove a point.
    I've beaten a couple actually (not from a high roll though).

My wrx is stage2 + protune and other small goodies and only dyno'd 240whp. I don't go around spanking C5's or anything, but I have put a car on a C5 a couple of times (different occasions). My car will match their 1/4 mile times and I have more aggressive lower gearing.

I wouldn't even bother trying to race from a roll or a modded C5 or Z06 from anywhere though. Stage2+ wrx's shouldn't expect to win from a dig, but just the same they shouldn't be afraid either (if the vette is stock).
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

those numbers are decieving, because it depends which part of the country your running in. your times could fluctuate almost a full second depending on how high you are above sea level and the temp. you cant assume that all 06 wrx's can run 13.7. they cant.
    VERY true. It's a common problem around here to have 06/07 owners running around claiming their car is a mid 13'sec car because ONE wrx got that time.

However, that doesn't mean it isn't possible with the right driver and condidtions. I went 14.1 with a stock wrx and 13.3 with full catless, MBC, new tires, and samco hoses.
    Now, with 240whp and a protune on the cobb AP I am hoping for 12.9/13.0
    But we'll see how that goes.

Will every wrx with those mods get those times? No, of course not. But you shouldn't discount the possibility.
    Luckily I am in Chicago where elevation is good and temperatures in the spring are pretty mild. Not to mention I know how to drive my car.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I've beaten a couple actually (not from a high roll though).

My wrx is stage2 + protune and other small goodies and only dyno'd 240whp. I don't go around spanking C5's or anything, but I have put a car on a C5 a couple of times (different occasions). My car will match their 1/4 mile times and I have more aggressive lower gearing.

I wouldn't even bother trying to race from a roll or a modded C5 or Z06 from anywhere though. Stage2+ wrx's shouldn't expect to win from a dig, but just the same they shouldn't be afraid either (if the vette is stock).
    your beating vettes with only 240whp.......... are you sure they knew you were racing... dont get me wrong you posted good times but a corvette still runs faster stock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    I have beaten a corvette in a WRX before. It was an 03 z06. I had 400whp with an SZ49 on a fully built 2.5 STi block with JDM Spec C heads, STi 6mt, turboxs fmic, all supporting mods. That car had about 45k invested in it at the point where I was beating cars like Z06's.
    thats not a stage 2 wrx..

i feel bad you guys need that much cash and effort to knock off c5/c5 z06's.
    n20 ne one?
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

your beating vettes with only 240whp.......... are you sure they knew you were racing... dont get me wrong you posted good times but a corvette still runs faster stock.

Actually, most C5's (manual or automatic) are mid 13sec cars. There is no reason why my mid-low 13sec wrx couldn't take one from a dig.

It happened, and your inability to believe it makes no difference to me. Think what you will sir. I have experience and you have speculation.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    i feel bad you guys need that much cash and effort to knock off c5/c5 z06's.
    n20 ne one?
    n20 = bye bye tranny and motor

The wrx reaches its limits A LOT quicker than people think. Stage2 gets you an awesome boost in power for the money, but anything over that requires thinking about the tranny.... and if you beef up the tranny and start going with big turbo (larger than VF's) you need to watch for your motor.

The wrx is more of an "all around" car. With a bit of money it will handle well, and perform well for the money and take on all seasons... however, it just isn't made to handle huge power.
    And Lord knows how it does from a roll on that stock turbo
    Just call me Clark Kent

STi and Z06

I took my 02 Z06 up against a ( I assume stock) 06 WRX STI today. I have headers. intake, and tune. I was able to pull around him "kinda" easy. We were going from a roll. He was a really cool guy and once we got to higher speeds he would let off for safety reasons. So it was hard to tell when I was passing him if he was letting off. Its hard to tell how much I would have beat him in a real race...maybe 3 cars in a quarter.
    I am a previous STI owner and I know how they can move. The second most fun car I have ever owned. Ever more fun the the Lotus Exige I had.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by artist71 View Post
    I took my 02 Z06 up against a ( I assume stock) 06 WRX STI today. I have headers. intake, and tune. I was able to pull around him "kinda" easy. We were going from a roll. He was a really cool guy and once we got to higher speeds he would let off for safety reasons. So it was hard to tell when I was passing him if he was letting off. Its hard to tell how much I would have beat him in a real race...maybe 3 cars in a quarter.
    I am a previous STI owner and I know how they can move. The second most fun car I have ever owned. Ever more fun the the Lotus Exige I had.
    A well driven C5 Z06 that is stock should be low to mid 12's at 117+ in the 1/4 mile. Enough to put 10+ car lengths on a stock STi in the 1/4 mile. With your mods, you've got another 30-40 rwhp on top of stock, good for high 11's (if you can hook) and 120 mph trapspeeds. A stock STi is around 13.1 at 104 mph... I'd guess you'd be 13-15 carlengths ahead at the 1/4 mile against one. Nice ride...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    A well driven C5 Z06 that is stock should be low to mid 12's at 117+ in the 1/4 mile. Enough to put 10+ car lengths on a stock STi in the 1/4 mile. With your mods, you've got another 30-40 rwhp on top of stock, good for high 11's (if you can hook) and 120 mph trapspeeds. A stock STi is around 13.1 at 104 mph... I'd guess you'd be 13-15 carlengths ahead at the 1/4 mile against one. Nice ride...
    13-15 car lengths seems a little generous, but I agree completely. these two cars arent even in the same catagory especially if the zo6 has mods. It's tough to compete with one stock even if the scooby is heavily modded.

NAWWZZZZ... *Thread closed*

lol... i agree that people underestimate the corvettes... er... they don't give them the respect all the time.
    yup

13-15 car lengths seems a little generous, but I agree completely. these two cars arent even in the same catagory especially if the zo6 has mods. It's tough to compete with one stock even if the scooby is heavily modded.
    Here's why people say that 1/10 of a second at the drag strip is equivalent to 1 car length at trap speeds of around 110 mph.

110 mph x 5280 = 580,800 feet per hour. 580,800/60 = 9680 feet per minute. 9680/60 = 161 feet per second. 1/10 of a second = 16.1 feet. 16.1 feet x 12" = 192 inches for every 1/10 of a second.

So if you win by 1.3 seconds, that's 2496".

A WRX is 173" in length
    A Corvette is 174" in length.

2496/174 = 14.3 car lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    Here's why people say that 1/10 of a second at the drag strip is equivalent to 1 car length at trap speeds of around 110 mph.

110 mph x 5280 = 580,800 feet per hour. 580,800/60 = 9680 feet per minute. 9680/60 = 161 feet per second. 1/10 of a second = 16.1 feet. 16.1 feet x 12" = 192 inches for every 1/10 of a second.

So if you win by 1.3 seconds, that's 2496".

A WRX is 173" in length
    A Corvette is 174" in length.

2496/174 = 14.3 car lengths.
    You and ray would have brilliant mathematical butt sex.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    You and ray would have brilliant mathematical butt sex.
    If you mean Rachel Ray, then okay... Otherwise, not so much...

Registered User boardinshorty81's Avatar

Why are we arguing?

I don't know why we are wondering about how a WRX stacks up against a corvette becuase the are different cars. Not only that but they are also completely different costs as well. A WRX is a 20k to 30k rally inspired street demon and a corvette is a 40k upwards(not sure I just know they are expensive) drag machine that defines American culture. If you take the value of a corvette and put into a WRX then you might have a race, but why worry about how a completely different car goes up against another different one. It is like getting a burger from a grill or from Macdonald's, they are different and you get them for different reasons.
    I am not usually confrontational, but this seems a little bit ridiculous to me, thats all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.