Subaru WRX Forum banner

2006 wrx VS. c5 corvette how they stack up

11K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  chrisp 
#1 ·
anyone know what a 2006 wrx would need to keep up/beat a stock c5 vette, non z06, at the strip or from a roll?

then, what would the wrx need to get the best of the z06?

i'm talking what kind of hp/tq, turbo, etc. will be needed.

#2 · (Edited)
Tough to call. My numerous trips to the drag strip with my 06 WRX has netted the following results:

Not all drivers are created equally. I watched a C6 Z06 run a 13.8 and a 2003 Z06 run a 14.0 at sea level. :screwy:

Do you have a time the c5 is running? Or a range you'd like to be in? Stock or modded c5?

I can tell you from experience, that a Cobb Stage 2 06 wrx can do a 13.8 with a 1.825 60foot no problem. After a protune, I have no doubt my car as it sits in the parking lot is capable of at least a 13.2, maybe a 12.9999 if the moons align and the car gods are apeased. I also know that a protuned stage 2 STi can run consistent 12.1's-12.2's. (several here do).

For 11.9x or lower, the general formula seems to be 330+ WHP, which is about a (td06h-20g, fp green, sr56, etc.) swap with a protune and supporting mods.

So for
14.xx's-13.xx's = ~ $0-$2000
12.xx's-11.xx's = ~ $2500-$7000
10.xx's-9.xx's = ~ $10,000 +

#5 ·
Along the same lines... how safe is the vf39 swap on our 06's? I called and talked to a guy at Cobb and he said that as long as you don't launch it all the time and take it easy on the gears... you will be fine... any truth to this?

Right now I am at stage 2... OTS map... can't decide to either get the vf39 swap and protune... or just protune stage 2... decisions decisions...

sorry to highjack... figured we were on the same subject... any input anyone?

#7 · (Edited)
is the RA gearset a legit upgrade if you want the vf39 swap on an 06? Don't have the money for a sti 6 speed or PPGs!!

edit: after reading some threads... it doesn't look like the RA gears are that much better than stock?!

Maybe i will just add an sti tmic... a new fuel pump and get stage 2 protuned and call it a day... for now... hahaha i know i will get the itch later down the road... but money better spent on my new house is a better option... getting to be a good all around car now... suspension mods and other stuff really are a good upgrade!

#9 ·
is the RA gearset a legit upgrade if you want the vf39 swap on an 06? Don't have the money for a sti 6 speed or PPGs!!
They're definitely an upgrade. You should go with cryo-treated RA's. I've heard mixed reviews on them. I know the regular RA's aren't much of an improvement over the stock gears.

#8 ·
If you take it easy on the gears a VF39 will be okay for awhile... However, the tranny will go sooner than later. IMO, it's not worth the risk unless you got money in the bank "in case **** happens."

#11 ·
10 second kits? please explain... im not shooting for a 10 second quarter mile by the way...

#12 · (Edited)
For a 2006 WRX 5spd with a fairly good driver to:

Beat a C5 from a dig = Stage2 setup. At this point you could run right next to one and even take it.

Beat a C5 from a roll = They trap 106mph+ stock. You're going to need AT LEAST a VF39 setup to even keep up. You're talking about a car with a motor built to run at high speeds (LS1) and a car that sucks balls at high speeds (wrx). A VF39 with all supporting mods AND a protune should give you a good chance though.

C5 Z06 from a dig = Expect to need something will push you deep into the 12's. An 18G would probably do the trick.

C5 Z06 from a roll = Not even an 18G would get this done. They trap at 115mph +. "Maybe" an 18G or 20G with an awesome tune would get you there, but who knows.

Point is: Racing vettes from a roll in a wrx requires money. Keeping up with a C5 is easy from a dig with a couple grand. Keeping up with a Z06 requires a turbo that you stock tranny can't handle so expect to spend TONS of money to get a reinforced tranny.

The wrx isn't made to race vettes. If that is what you want get ready to spend a lot of money.... especially if you have any plans on beating Z06's anytime soon.

#13 ·
I have seen a heavily modified, very aggressively tuned stage 2 STi beat an older Z06. A WRX is going to need some serious juju in it to make that kind of power.

If that was my only goal, I would get a td06-20g, tgv deletes, big TMIC, meth injection, ported/polished exhaust manifold, aftermarket uppipe, 3" TBE (APS), bigger fuel injectors, accessport protune and have someone tune it for high speed/topend (big boost up top, very aggressive map above 4k rpm). That being said, you're trying to ice-skate uphill....I think DTR hit the nail on the head when he said you're trying to beat a topend monster in a realm where the WRX blows goats.

Best of luck,

~Tim

#15 ·
you need an sti... Can't imagine all the work you would have to put into a regular wrx to keep up or beat a c5
Actually, if you read some of the previous posts you'll see that he doesn't need an STI and there's no need to imagine all the work that needs to be put into the regular WRX 'cause it's mostly spelled out for you.

To the OP - if you've got the money to dump into the WRX you can make it as fast as you want to.

#17 · (Edited)
Cobb Stage 2 AP/MBC @ 17 Psi, 13.62@103.48 Stage 1 Suspension, Stage 1 Brakes, Lightened Pulley, Header wrap, Crucial Up & Down pipes, Axel back, Sloted brake discs, Walbro 255l/hr, FPR crush mod, STI Hood Scoop & Splitter, Hood vents with fans, 3/4" IC Tilt & water sprayer, IC insulated from engine heat, Before & after IC temp. probes, +... http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/wrxdrvr/ . Albums wrxdrvr, ICmod, Info. A stock topmount that's AS GOOD as a front mount (that's the same size)

just an example. this sounds like a lot of work for not that fast! to do all this work and only run a 13.62 seems like a waste of time. u need an sti

#18 ·
That's just retarded. There are plenty of plain Stage 2 WRXs that run 13.6 1/4 miles. No need to pick on someone who did a whole lot of work on their car only to find out that they can't drive.

Besides, what do the Stage 1 brake kit and STI hood scoop add to the straight line performance.

#19 ·
if you can't go 14.0 in even a stock 02wrx 5spd you need more practice. as well as deep 13s high 12s in a stock sti. i assume both 06+wrx's and sti's should be even faster in stock from. less cash on mods and more on driving practice.

#23 · (Edited)
wow if u run 14.0 on a stock wrx and ur not drag racing , you need to be. because SportCompactCar Magazines pro driver ran 14.1 and
Road & Tracks driver ran a 14.4. so guys that do this for a living ur up with them.:screwy: get r done.... go to wrx specs if you want more info.

#26 ·
jsnl98 said:
Hey everyone , I'm new to this wrx thing I just bought an 06 TR and was just wondering what the stage 2 setup consists of? :confused:
Downpipe (removal of the 2 factory catalytic converters - either fully catless or a single high-flow cat) and an ECU reflash

#27 ·
for the record, I bet their is not a single person on this whole forum with a stage 2 wrx that has beaten a vette. not even a zo6 just a regular vette. I garaunteeeee all you guys that talk a big game havent even come close. not trying to be a dink just trying to prove a point.

#31 ·
I've beaten a couple actually (not from a high roll though).

My wrx is stage2 + protune and other small goodies and only dyno'd 240whp. I don't go around spanking C5's or anything, but I have put a car on a C5 a couple of times (different occasions). My car will match their 1/4 mile times and I have more aggressive lower gearing.

I wouldn't even bother trying to race from a roll or a modded C5 or Z06 from anywhere though. Stage2+ wrx's shouldn't expect to win from a dig, but just the same they shouldn't be afraid either (if the vette is stock).

#29 ·
I'm simply stating that the car is "capable" of those times. I was by no means implying that everyone in every part of the country can do those numbers. And, if we're going to do paper racing then we'll have to take the times that the cars are capable of and pit them against each other. As to your other point, whether or not any of us have ever beaten an Corvette is irrelevant. The OP was simply asking what it would take to beat one and I think we've answered that question for him.

#30 ·
I have beaten a corvette in a WRX before. It was an 03 z06. I had 400whp with an SZ49 on a fully built 2.5 STi block with JDM Spec C heads, STi 6mt, turboxs fmic, all supporting mods. That car had about 45k invested in it at the point where I was beating cars like Z06's.

#35 ·
i feel bad you guys need that much cash and effort to knock off c5/c5 z06's.
n20 ne one?

#37 ·
n20 = bye bye tranny and motor :sadwave::sadwave:

The wrx reaches its limits A LOT quicker than people think. Stage2 gets you an awesome boost in power for the money, but anything over that requires thinking about the tranny.... and if you beef up the tranny and start going with big turbo (larger than VF's) you need to watch for your motor.

The wrx is more of an "all around" car. With a bit of money it will handle well, and perform well for the money and take on all seasons... however, it just isn't made to handle huge power.
And Lord knows how it does from a roll on that stock turbo :rotfl:

#38 ·
STi and Z06

I took my 02 Z06 up against a ( I assume stock) 06 WRX STI today. I have headers. intake, and tune. I was able to pull around him "kinda" easy. We were going from a roll. He was a really cool guy and once we got to higher speeds he would let off for safety reasons. So it was hard to tell when I was passing him if he was letting off. Its hard to tell how much I would have beat him in a real race...maybe 3 cars in a quarter.
I am a previous STI owner and I know how they can move. The second most fun car I have ever owned. Ever more fun the the Lotus Exige I had.

#39 ·
I took my 02 Z06 up against a ( I assume stock) 06 WRX STI today. I have headers. intake, and tune. I was able to pull around him "kinda" easy. We were going from a roll. He was a really cool guy and once we got to higher speeds he would let off for safety reasons. So it was hard to tell when I was passing him if he was letting off. Its hard to tell how much I would have beat him in a real race...maybe 3 cars in a quarter.
I am a previous STI owner and I know how they can move. The second most fun car I have ever owned. Ever more fun the the Lotus Exige I had.
A well driven C5 Z06 that is stock should be low to mid 12's at 117+ in the 1/4 mile. Enough to put 10+ car lengths on a stock STi in the 1/4 mile. With your mods, you've got another 30-40 rwhp on top of stock, good for high 11's (if you can hook) and 120 mph trapspeeds. A stock STi is around 13.1 at 104 mph... I'd guess you'd be 13-15 carlengths ahead at the 1/4 mile against one. Nice ride... :thumbup:

#45 ·
Why are we arguing?

I don't know why we are wondering about how a WRX stacks up against a corvette becuase the are different cars. Not only that but they are also completely different costs as well. A WRX is a 20k to 30k rally inspired street demon and a corvette is a 40k upwards(not sure I just know they are expensive) drag machine that defines American culture. If you take the value of a corvette and put into a WRX then you might have a race, but why worry about how a completely different car goes up against another different one. It is like getting a burger from a grill or from Macdonald's, they are different and you get them for different reasons.
I am not usually confrontational, but this seems a little bit ridiculous to me, thats all.

#50 ·
I don't know why we are wondering about how a WRX stacks up against a corvette becuase the are different cars. Not only that but they are also completely different costs as well. A WRX is a 20k to 30k rally inspired street demon and a corvette is a 40k upwards(not sure I just know they are expensive) drag machine that defines American culture. If you take the value of a corvette and put into a WRX then you might have a race, but why worry about how a completely different car goes up against another different one. It is like getting a burger from a grill or from Macdonald's, they are different and you get them for different reasons.
I am not usually confrontational, but this seems a little bit ridiculous to me, thats all.
Because it's fun to beat another car that is more expensive and thinks he is going to win. being matched up with a vette could happen easily so he just wants to know how he would do. Great question!

#46 ·
Calling a Vette a drag machine doesnt due it's just. If you havent driven one they handle rather well. The last one I was in was a C-4 and was really impressed. Would love to get some wheel time behind a C5 z06.

Later model vette's are VERY well rounded...not just drag cars.

I do agree comparing them is odd as I highly doubt many buyers are in the same market.

#48 ·
I raced my friends 02 c5 (stock)MT from a dig. I have a 02 wrx stg2 OTS map also 5MT and we stayed even til about i hit the top of third gear at about 85 or so. Then he started to walk. The shift into forth (very tall gear) is what hurts the wrx.

just letting you guys know that is as close as I have come. And we have raced multiple times.... with roughly the same outcome everytime.

#49 ·
I don't believe anyone is "arguing" about it... Coming across a Corvette on the track or the street is a somewhat common occurrence for many people. It can be fun to see how you hold up to that benchmark of performance, or what it would take to stay close, or even leave it staring at your tail lights in amazement...

When two enthusiasts put the pedal down in a contest, I don't think either one really cares whether or not their cars "are in the same class" or "which one costs more". A sore loser may say something to that effect afterwards, however... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.