06 sti vs. evo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06 sti vs. evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally got the matchup I was looking for. The lancer evo was 1-2 years old and probably stock. Unfortunately ...

Banned

06 sti vs. evo

I finally got the matchup I was looking for. The lancer evo was 1-2 years old and probably stock. Unfortunately for the evo I just had a cobb downpipe and stage 1 tune done, so I kinda figured I would beat him. From 50 mph I pulled 2-3 cars on him before we stopped. Im saying this for a gauge if others are thinking of getting these mods done to their sti. I highly reccomend it!The kid was actually pretty cool about it too. He gave the ol' thumbs up after and waved. It's nice when two people can have a friendly race and nobody gets pissed off. Il give a shout out to this purpleish blueish evo driving around RI.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thought these kinds of topics were discouraged here.

Oh well, at least evos aren't invincible...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp
    Unfortunately for the evo I just had a cobb downpipe and stage 1 tune done
    Why not Stage2?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    went through the dealer so its safe and still covered under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    went through the dealer so its safe and still covered under warranty
    Really? In my Cobb map notes it warns specifically to NOT run the Stage 1 map with a DP...

From the Cobb Stage 1 Map notes for 06 STi:
    Additional Notes:
    When upgrading to a full turbo-back exhaust you will need to use the Stage2 mapping.

This is from the WRX Stage 1 notes, but it might shed light on the STi note above:
    CAUTION!!! DO NOT RUN ANY Stage1 CALIBRATION WITH ANY TYPE OF HIGHER FLOWING DOWNPIPE
    OR TURBO-BACK EXHAUST ON YOUR 2007 WRX. THE Stage1 CALIBRATION HAS VERY HIGH
    WASTEGATE DUTY CYCLE SETTINGS TO TRY AND BRING BOOST ON AT LOWER RPMS WHEN USING THE
    MORE RESTRICTIVE, STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM. THESE SETTINGS WILL INDUCE SEVERE BOOST
    SPIKING AND WILL OVERSHOOT THE SPECIFIED BOOST TARGETS CAUSING BOOST SEARCHING. THESE
    BOOST SPIKES CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. IF YOU HAVE A HIGHER FLOWING DOWNPIPE OR TURBOBACK
    EXHAUST SYSTEM ON YOUR 2007 WRX, PLEASE REFLASH THE APPROPRIATE Stage2
    CALIBRATIONS.

Plug that puppy back in and load the stage 2 map
    Last edited by Pavia; 03-29-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    OT: Chrisp - is that Ted Nugent in your avatar?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    yup that is a picture of the nuge.
    As far as the stage 1 map, I dont think it was a specific map. The people tuned it on the dyno and said they adjusted the air/fuel ratio because they are all tuned rich from the factory, they upped the boost a little to 18 psi, he said the bottom end of an 06' was stronger than 05 or 07. anyways whether thats true or not, it was basically a custom tune, but kinda the equivilant of a stage 1. It's amazing when you actually get better gas mileage after a mod and tune. I got 26mpg last tank(i stayed off the gas alot)

You are basically Stage 2. Tune + DP. In the Subaru world (Cobb, UTEC, EcuTek, etc) Stage 1 = Tune only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukotsusei View Post
    I thought these kinds of topics were discouraged here.

Oh well, at least evos aren't invincible...
    Racing stories are fine, just don't use the forums to *PLAN* a race against another member.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Banned
    [QUOTE=D0WNxSH1FT;2244368]You are basically Stage 2. Tune + DP. In the Subaru world (Cobb, UTEC, EcuTek, etc) Stage 1 = Tune only.

I think I need exhaust to officially be stage 2, but thanks for the info, I really wasnt to sure

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    I think I need exhaust to officially be stage 2, but thanks for the info, I really wasnt to sure
    Nope, the only requirements for stage 2 = Tune + Removing a cat. The axlebacks are just for sound, they don't really give any HP gains (ok a few).
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Yeah, your fine. You have a custom/protune which is far better than the Cobb maps.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Nope, the only requirements for stage 2 = Tune + Removing a cat. The axlebacks are just for sound, they don't really give any HP gains (ok a few).
    +1. I had problems with my midpipe last year and had to put the stock exhaust back on with my Cobb DP. I noticed zero loss in power.

But much loss in coolness

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.