2008 WRX vs. 2006 WRX??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX vs. 2006 WRX?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just a curious dumb little question; I was looking up some specs and found that the 06 WRX has just ...

2008 WRX vs. 2006 WRX??

Just a curious dumb little question; I was looking up some specs and found that the 06 WRX has just a tad more hp and torque than the 08. I know there are plento other factors involved and the turbo kicks in a lot sooner on the 08 but stock for stock what wins???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How car manufacturers report horsepower has changed in the last couple of years. The numbers went down for the WRX (and all other Subaru models), but there's no less power.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Different Rating system. They switched to the "SAE HP Rating system" in 2007. You'll notice an equally equipped STi went from 300HP 300TQ in 2004 - 2006 to 292HP and 298 TQ in 2007.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 03-24-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Sweet, thanks for the info guys. So pretty much it would be a draw, obviously depends on the driver but power for power theyre the same? the only other difference I noticed was the double wishbone sus.?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nas7000 View Post
    Sweet, thanks for the info guys. So pretty much it would be a draw, obviously depends on the driver but power for power theyre the same? the only other difference I noticed was the double wishbone sus.?

I own an 06 and I drove an 08, tons different. Only thing that is the same is the make and model, and both have a 2.5L engine.

They have different turbos.
    Different Gears in the tranny.
    Different chassis.
    No LSD in 08.
    NO VDC in 06.
    Interior in 08 > 06
    Different suspension.
    08 Seats fold down 06 do not.
    Different IC's.
    Different exhausts.
    Different intake manifolds.
    Etc.
    Etc.

Stock for stock the 08 would win in a race or comfort. Faster, smoother, quieter on the inside. If the cost was the same, I'd be in an 08.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I own an 06 and I drove an 08, tons different. Only thing that is the same is the make and model, and both have a 2.5L engine.

They have different turbos.
    Different Gears in the tranny.
    Different chassis.
    No LSD in 08.
    NO VDC in 06.
    Interior in 08 > 06
    Different suspension.
    08 Seats fold down 06 do not.
    Different IC's.
    Different exhausts.
    Different intake manifolds.
    Etc.
    Etc.

Stock for stock the 08 would win in a race or comfort. Faster, smoother, quieter on the inside. If the cost was the same, I'd be in an 08.
    Wow that may have been the most helpful post I've ever seen on this topic. +1

How does the '08 sound? Does it sound like it's still a subie?

motor ticks like a subie but you would need to climb inside the exhaust to really here the rumble. The 08 is very quiet, enough so you need to watch the tach in order to see if its still running.
    John "MrRoadkill" Tanner
    SupermotoUSA #69
    http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Member...l/Default.aspx

08 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by mrroadkill View Post
    motor ticks like a subie but you would need to climb inside the exhaust to really here the rumble. The 08 is very quiet, enough so you need to watch the tach in order to see if its still running.
    Oh... I don't know if that should be good or bad news.

Cmon, we fell in love with the subie for its raw feeling... but I shouldn't judge until I've driven one.

Also.. Rally pig on the 08 WRX... yes or no?
    Last edited by Ryukotsusei; 03-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukotsusei View Post
    Oh... I don't know if that should be good or bad news.

Cmon, we fell in love with the subie for its raw feeling... but I shouldn't judge until I've driven one.

Also.. Rally pig on the 08 WRX... yes or no?
    I wouldnt trade the 08 for any other year. Its a good car it just needs an exhaust.
    John "MrRoadkill" Tanner
    SupermotoUSA #69
    http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Member...l/Default.aspx

08 WRX

Talking

I now have a one week old 08 5 door. years ago I had an 02 sedan, the differences are great. the new car rides smoother, it has much more torque. where you would wait in the old car for the turbo to hit the new just pulls away in top gear passing. We bought the premium edition so there is some new amenities. But to me the new car feels nimbler than my old one did and much smoother over broken pavement. I think the quicker steering rack is probably the reason for the nimbler feel. We just finished a trip yesterday thru some rough roads ones that would have had my 02 rattling inside, the 08 just rode it out, probably the new rear suspension. We will see how she holds up over time, but first inpressions are favorable. Now if I can get that top end rush to match the torque, it will be really quick. I know that many have condemned the new car because the looks are so subdued, i on the other hand like the fact that I am not screaming at every cop that I am a teenage racer. Closer to the truth is I am a speed crazed 40 something that loves inexpensive cars stuffed with lots of horspower and I like the new refinement.
    Terry Mc

It's not really the subdued look that gets me, I like how the sides are now flush, but the tailights remind me of a ford and the front reminds me of a mazda. The scoop and the body I like.

Also, are there any cheaper grilles out there besides the "sport grille" that subaru offers?

The only real negative I see on the 08 is no LSD. I guess that's either a cost cutting move or to help differentiate (heh heh, how's that for a pun?) between the WRX and the STI.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The only real negative I see on the 08 is no LSD. I guess that's either a cost cutting move or to help differentiate (heh heh, how's that for a pun?) between the WRX and the STI.
    Someone who knows more about this will probably be able to give a better answer but just from reading this forum, it seems that it wouldn't have made sense for Subaru to put LSD and the VDC in the WRX. I think they do relatively the same thing but I'm hoping somebody will be able to really hash out the differences between the two and give their take on why they went with the VDC instead of a LSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmonky3 View Post
    Someone who knows more about this will probably be able to give a better answer but just from reading this forum, it seems that it wouldn't have made sense for Subaru to put LSD and the VDC in the WRX. I think they do relatively the same thing but I'm hoping somebody will be able to really hash out the differences between the two and give their take on why they went with the VDC instead of a LSD.
    Good point, VDC is also available on the base sedan so maybe it's a cheaper electronic "LSD", as opposed to having a mechanical device do it?

"VDC constantly monitors vehicle stability. It senses impending loss of control, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to help keep you on your intended path" --from the Subaru website

Also, isn't the 08 notorious for having huge roll? A few reviews I've read online have complained about the stock WRX having bad roll... suspension modding time? (How much does that stuff cost anyway?)

The federal government required all vehicles after a certain year to have stability control and tire pressure monitoring.

The problem with any type of "control" system is that the only way it can maintain traction is to back off the power that's being applied. A LSD can re-distribute it without ever losing full power.

For 99% of the driving people do there probably isn't much difference. I'd like to know that my vehicle is going to maintain traction rather than use electronics to regain traction after it's been lost.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast