2008 WRX vs. 2006 WRX?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX vs. 2006 WRX?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Ryukotsusei Also, isn't the 08 notorious for having huge roll? A few reviews I've read online have ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukotsusei View Post
    Also, isn't the 08 notorious for having huge roll? A few reviews I've read online have complained about the stock WRX having bad roll... suspension modding time? (How much does that stuff cost anyway?)
    The amount of body roll in my '08 is probably my biggest/only complaint I really have with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The federal government required all vehicles after a certain year to have stability control and tire pressure monitoring.

The problem with any type of "control" system is that the only way it can maintain traction is to back off the power that's being applied. A LSD can re-distribute it without ever losing full power.

For 99% of the driving people do there probably isn't much difference. I'd like to know that my vehicle is going to maintain traction rather than use electronics to regain traction after it's been lost.
    Unless I'm mistaken, it just wouldn't make sense to have them both in the car, correct? Also, the VDC can be turned off (not that I'm trying to say that makes it better or anything).
    Last edited by Grasmonky3; 03-25-2008 at 08:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Removing the rear LSD is definitely a cost-cutting measure. I don't particularly care for electronic systems that start cutting power and apply brakes to try and correct whatever mistakes I've made.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmonky3 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, it just wouldn't make sense to have them both in the car, correct? Also, the VDC can be turned off (not that I'm trying to say that makes it better or anything).
    Well, if it doesn't make sense to have both of them then why didn't they neuter the STI too? It still has all the mechanical wizardry AND VDC.

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    Well, if it doesn't make sense to have both of them then why didn't they neuter the STI too? It still has all the mechanical wizardry AND VDC.
    I'm not sure. I'm just repeating what I've read on these forums in more of a question. I'd love for somebody with knowledge to explain the reasoning behind everything.
    Last edited by Grasmonky3; 03-25-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Yea so I've had my 08 for about a month now and I absolutely love it. I do notice the body roll but not a huge issue with my type of driving. And about the original question, I took down my friends 06 stock for stock(so far) but definately not by much.

i dunno, i'm still gonna say its a drivers race, there may be these slight differences in power and weight etc. But in real life i think it would still be largely up to the drivers. If magically both cars are driven equally well and the exact same i guess i would give it to the 08 from what i've heard (and as much as it hurts to say that).
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    Because what I've gotten from the website is that it's electronically applied braking and power control.

Technically, it does the job of LSD... although I feel safer with a mechanical system rather than electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmonky3 View Post
    The amount of body roll in my '08 is probably my biggest/only complaint I really have with the car.
    How bad is it? Should suspension modding be the first thing I do with the WRX?

The point is that they've removed the LSD in the WRX simply for cost-cutting reasons. They would have done the same in the STI if it wasn't for the uproar that would have caused from the enthusiast community. They're not THAT stupid, to start taking stuff off of the STI; it'd be like cutting their own throats.

Mitsubishi may not be as reliable in their cars but they've got a good idea with the new Ralliart car. Slightly detuned Evo X motor with Evo IX drivetrain all in the mid-20s seems like a good recipe to me. I'm a Subaru fan but if Subaru isn't intimidated by that then they should be because, simply put, there is no reason that the Ralliart won't just mop the floor with the WRX when it hits the showroom floor.

As far as the '08 vs. '06 - I'll keep my '06, thanks.

hm well, the 08 is very quiet, so quiet in fact that the first time i stalled it i had no idea. Felt pretty dumb when the light turned green. However climb the tach to about 3800 and it gets nice and delicious.

I have had my '08 for two weeks now. I sold my Stage II 2002 WRX. I have to say, the 'o8 is a much better car. While the look is still growing on my it drives infinitely better. More torque on demand, smoother acceleration, lighter feel. Plus the interior is far superior to anything Subaru has given us in previous Imprezzas (short of the current Sti). The seats are comfortable and sporty looking, and the controls are all well positioned. My two complaints:

1. The anemic exhaust, you barely know the car is on or even accelerating. I have ordered the SPT exhaust system to correct that, from what I've heard it sounds good and adds a little power. If I don't like it I may go with the AVO unit and maybe a downpipe.

2. The shifter is way too long. I bought the Kartboy shifter and bushings as I had them on my '02 and loved the feel.

Aside from that I'd say that the looks will grow on me. I think some lowering springs and more aggressive rims can really aid in the appearance. I agree that they could have given the fender of the car a little more flair but they clearly wanted to make the Sti stand out...which I think they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukotsusei View Post
    How bad is it? Should suspension modding be the first thing I do with the WRX?
    Yes...I had my wifes out for a little run last night....just to clean it out on a road i use quite often when doing short speed tests in my Mustang and Hayabusa

At about 125mph /190+kmph Her car (although stock) just feels like it is floating...a completely uncomforatble feeling...trust me i have gone much faster then this on my bike...and in my Stang when they were both stock...

Dont get me wrong the 08WRX sedan has very good potenial there was lots more in it for speed...just needs a bit of tweaking ( lowering new sway bars....etc) ...I am still learning the Subi's ( always been a blue oval person)...but i am impressed with the power and acceration of a subi...in stock trim

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I have had my '08 for two weeks now. I sold my Stage II 2002 WRX. I have to say, the 'o8 is a much better car. While the look is still growing on my it drives infinitely better. More torque on demand, smoother acceleration, lighter feel. Plus the interior is far superior to anything Subaru has given us in previous Imprezzas (short of the current Sti). The seats are comfortable and sporty looking, and the controls are all well positioned. My two complaints:

1. The anemic exhaust, you barely know the car is on or even accelerating. I have ordered the SPT exhaust system to correct that, from what I've heard it sounds good and adds a little power. If I don't like it I may go with the AVO unit and maybe a downpipe.

2. The shifter is way too long. I bought the Kartboy shifter and bushings as I had them on my '02 and loved the feel.

Aside from that I'd say that the looks will grow on me. I think some lowering springs and more aggressive rims can really aid in the appearance. I agree that they could have given the fender of the car a little more flair but they clearly wanted to make the Sti stand out...which I think they did.

bye bye 2 week old warranty, n00b must go fastarrr...
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    bye bye 2 week old warranty, n00b must go fastarrr...
    Noob? Nice...

Brakes anyone?

No one has mentioned that Subaru "nerfed" the brakes in the 08s. I like my 4-pots with HPS pads. Will put HP+ for track time or mountain runs. That is a huuuge +++ for 06s. As for interior, I donno, I like my leather interior.

The 06' wins just because it looks better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast