My 2006 STI vs. BMW 135 or 2008 STI (What to buy?)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My 2006 STI vs. BMW 135 or 2008 STI (What to buy?) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been debating this since I raced a BMW 335i from a roll with my 2006 Cobb stage II STI. ...

Question My 2006 STI vs. BMW 135 or 2008 STI (What to buy?)

I've been debating this since I raced a BMW 335i from a roll with my 2006 Cobb stage II STI. I was surprised that the BMW was very slowly pulling away from me, when I thought I would walk on him. The car still had the stickers on the windows, so I'm guessing it was stock. The 335 is a little out of my price range and "too common" inho, so I never gave it much thought. But when I saw the 135 it sparked my interest.

Well today I went down to the BMW dealership and they had one, it was a black 6 speed auto. I have no interest in an auto, but I wanted to see how it handled and how the 6 cylinder twin turbo felt. I have to say I was very impressed! The motor has absolutely no turbo lag, something that I'm not used to at all. Although it doesn't have the surge of power like my STI, it was deceptively fast. The powerband felt perfectly linear. It felt like a buttery smooth V-8, it was fairly quiet and had decent sound. But no turbo sounds could be heard what so ever. But it's a BMW, not a rally car. I also asked the dealer about performance upgrades, they said they don't kow what is offered yet for it, but they said they have Dinan packages for the 335, that bump it up to 378 hp. I bet a package like that in a 135 would walk an STI and give a M3 a run for its money.

It handled very nice, firm but forgiving, I felt a very slight wavering (jaunce?), while going over an wavy surface while turning, that I don't think my STI would do. The steering was precise, but not as communicative as the STI, it was slightly numb, but still very good. The car just felt very "planted." It had 18" rims with the conti-sport tires and they hooked up good, I did not get any wheelspin what so ever, but it was an auto... I would love to try a manual, but they didn't know when they might get one.

The brakes are amazing! It has 6 piston Brembo's in the front and 2 piston in the rear. They bit so hard, it startled me at first. I was very impressed. I definitely think it would outperform my STI in braking.

The interior was very nice, the power seats are uber comfortable and supportive. The interior is a little tighter them my 06, the back seats looked cramped, but I did not try them out so I can't say for sure how they compare. Legroom is a little better then the STI (I'm 6' 2") and that is one complaint I have about my scooby. Another nice thing is the rear seats fold down, I hate that I can't fold down my seats! It had climate control and the compass in the mirror, pretty much the same features as the STI, but also had a sunroof.

So my dilemma is this, my car just hit 60k miles and i have no warranty. The car runs fine, but I hate not having that piece of mind. I love my STI and the new design is growing on me, however the magazine reviews I've read make the 2008 sound like less of a performer. I was at the Subie dealership a few weeks ago and the 2008 STi with upgraded rims and NAV (which I wouldn't get) was almost 39k! My current STI was 38k out the door with a 60k Gold warranty. I built a 135 online and it came out to $36,745, close to the price as the STI w/o nav.

I just wanted to share my experience and see if others are considering the same. Of course I love Subaru's and AWD, but here in NV, it's not an necessity. Please don't turn this into a RWD vs. AWD fight , because that's what killed the last thread on this topic.
    Last edited by jamie007; 03-19-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: error on price
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    thats kinda strange cause a stock sti is faster than a stock 335i or xi. according to motortrend and dragtimes.com. sti is a hair faster than the m3 as well. not too sure about 08's but I know the other years are.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd go with the 135.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

keep the 06 sti 60k its still just a baby bmw is ok but i dont care for them

what i know is that the 335's motor which is the same as the 135 is that they r monsters.a dinan tuned 335 put down 400hp.i havn't seen those numbers in person but i read it on an issue of eurotuner.those cars are classy and perform very well!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#105
    2007 WR Blue Subaru WRX STI
    mods- 3in.catless T/B exhaust,(Fujitsubo Super T1 axle/bac,InvidiaV2catless D/P)untuned, 18x8.5 gunmetal Work Emotion CR's wrapped in 235/40/18 General Exclaims',blacked out headlights,Chargespeed front lip,Tein S.Techs,Grimmspeed TGV Deleates,65mm APS cold air intake,3in Agency Power turbo inlet pipe, NGK step colder spark plugs,Cusco oil-catch can,APS dual vent bov,AEM methanol injection kit,255l Walbro fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    thats kinda strange cause a stock sti is faster than a stock 335i or xi. according to motortrend and dragtimes.com. sti is a hair faster than the m3 as well. not too sure about 08's but I know the other years are.
    I thought it was very strange, I knew I would beat him. We raced twice, the first time was from about 40 mph (what I described above). The second time it was from a dead stop and I bogged it and he got about a 1.5 car length jump on me and I couldn't catch him, but was catching up very slowly. We raced untill about 90. It was very very close though. I'm guessing if I launched properly I would have gotten a jump on him and he probably wouldn't catch me unless we went over 110 mph or so. One thing to consider is the BMW has full torque almost through the entire rev range, from I believe 1500 rpm's to 5000 rpms. Maybe it was my driving? but I consider myself a good driver and I my shifts are quick.
    Last edited by jamie007; 03-19-2008 at 06:14 PM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    i would get the 08 STI far more upgradeable and you can get a base STI for 34-36 grand depending on location, 90% of the 135 imported are high spec and the sticker is 38-41k
    Last edited by SonicWagon; 03-19-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

You havent driven the STi yet.

Drive both and see which one gives you the biggest

Do not go with what the Magazines say.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

Quote Originally Posted by Black XT View Post
    You havent driven the STi yet.

Drive both and see which one gives you the biggest

Do not go with what the Magazines say.
    Agree completely.

Also, you should buy the STI and ship me the fender flares. Then we can be internet friends.

you can reliably modify your STI

the bmw is not as reliable

if you plan on keeping the BMW stock, and dump it once your warrenty is over..then go for the BMW. lease it for a couple of years, keep it stock, beat the hell out of it and give it back to the dealer.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    you can reliably modify your STI

the bmw is not as reliable

if you plan on keeping the BMW stock, and dump it once your warrenty is over..then go for the BMW. lease it for a couple of years, keep it stock, beat the hell out of it and give it back to the dealer.
    I was thinking if I mod the BMW I would go with Dinan and I think I would be able to keep the full warranty. But I have no idea how expensive their upgrade path is.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    if your at all concerned with money the STI is more bang for your buck

dinan exhausts are like 3 grand their staged packages are super expensive too.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Did the salesman actually say that he/they would sell the car for the price on the sticker?
    I really don't forsee those things going for their actual sticker price anymore than I see the current Vette ZO6s going for their sticker price.
    I'm suprised that the dealer didn't ask you if you wanted to be put on a waiting list for a manual tranny 135.
    Like others have said, if you plan on keeping it stock, AND you can actually get a 135 for the sticker price, I'd say go for the Bimmer.
    And even if you can get it for the sticker price, don't expect to haggle with the salesman. You'll most likely pay full sticker price if not a marked up price.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    if your at all concerned with money the STI is more bang for your buck

dinan exhausts are like 3 grand their staged packages are super expensive too.
    +1 on the expensiveness of packages...

However I believe you'd be getting more of a car for the BMW. The engine in the 135/335 is just a beast. Its mechanically a work of art. The twin turbo design uses a very small turbo for instant spool in the low range and when that runs out of steam, the other larger turbo begins to kick in.

BMWs are Autobahn cars. They are developed for overall driving experience and high speeds. Thats why when you take one from a roll, it can keep up and begin to pull away. Even E46 M3s do this to stock and some modded STIs. Their top end performance is superior. From a dig however, they are very heavy cars to get going, so obviously the STI power and AWD will make the jump here, but that is negated when going frumaroll.

I went Stage 1 in my STI and raced a 335i that was a month old and stock at Englishtown in NJ. I beat him with a 13.0 flat @ 104mph. He ran a 13.4 @ 108...so he was beginning to gain on me...had it been a half mile race, he would have caught up and passed me more than likely. They are very fine cars and given the choice, I would take the 135i now if I could, even though I love my STI. I have just always loved BMWs
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The cupholders are awesome in the BMW too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast