My 2006 STI vs. BMW 135 or 2008 STI (What to buy?) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My 2006 STI vs. BMW 135 or 2008 STI (What to buy?) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jamie007 Please don't turn this into a RWD vs. AWD fight , because that's what killed the ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Please don't turn this into a RWD vs. AWD fight , because that's what killed the last thread on this topic.
    Agreed! I was the OP of that last 135i thread

I decided not to go with the 135 because I didn't love the rear end that much, but it was still a tough call! I ended up getting a 2004 M3 with 20k miles and a CPO warranty till early 2010. It is "sportier" than a 135 although not any faster in a straight line (they both do 0-60 in the mid to high 4 range and get at least 105mph in the 1/4). Plus, I really like the mechanical LSD that the non-M cars don't get.

Compared to my '06 WRX, the "feel" of the car is completely different, as one would expect. I've always been a fan of quick cars that make sacrifices for speed like less luxury, noisier, etc. I almost feel like the standard BMWs are a little TOO luxury oriented for me, but the used M is still loud, stiff, and absolutely hammers to 8k rpm

I'd drive the 135i stick and an '08 STI, try a lightly used E46 M3 if you can too and good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wanna get a 335 engine and shoehorn it into an old 2002.

That'd be like a Datsun 510 with an RB26 in it.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post

/hijack
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mrturbo16v View Post
    I ended up getting a 2004 M3 with 20k miles and a CPO warranty till early 2010.

The E46 M3 is an amazing piece of work. A buddy of mine had one with a Dinan exhaust H&R springs, a chip and Hamman rims. that thign flies! He let me drive it and that 6 speed is butter smooth and power comes on smooth as silk. Great Choice. He had an 04 and he beats that thing to all hell and he has not one rattle. the only issue he had was his weather stripping around his whindshield came loose.
    Last edited by abhiwan; 03-20-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

I'd say keep the STI, so long as it's trouble free, for another year or two. You'll continue to have a safe, reliable, and very fun fast car. Its resale should remain decent.

The '08 STI is a mistake: too expensive and not fast enough -- forget that it's boring if not ugly.

Next buy a 5-speed EVO X giving it an exhaust and tune or better yet get a 135i -- gotta love those brakes-- giving it at least a tune and LSD.

A used and pampered E46 M3 would be nice too.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

I was looking into a 335i a few months ago... read many comparisons between it and the new G37... the G won what seemed to be a lot of the comparisons if I can remember correctly...

Now I know they aren't the same car... but they do have the same engine... and I read many many times... that they had problems with the engine over heating... just stock!

I guess it depends on how much you want to track/race your car... the Dinan package... simply put... makes the car a beast... roughly 400 whp?!!!!!! (I think... don't quote me) but they recommend the optional oil cooler... for an extra 2k to keep the thing cool... some don't even come with an oil cooler from the factory!! The standard Dinan package is 2k as well... so if you want to keep it safe... looking at roughly 4k for an upgrade from Dinan... exhaust is an extra 1700! So if you want the exhaust... that puts your total to nearly 6k with taxes and shipping... But I do believe you can even maintain a factory warranty with Dinan upgrades...

But I guess if you have the money for a BMW... you have the money for the upgrades... Don't get me wrong... IMO the 335i is an extremely sexy car!! I would love one! But I think I will stick with my scoobies...

I know you are looking at the 135's... just figured I would give my opinion of the 335's... since they have the same engine...

Test drive the new 08 sti as well... they are a LOT better in person... get a feel of driving it... then make your decision... good luck! Keep us posted!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

/hijack
    Opening Hijack back up...I had no clue that was Sofia Vergara...

...possibly one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen :drool:
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Opening Hijack back up...I had no clue that was Sofia Vergara...

...possibly one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen :drool:
    continuing the hijack...
    Sofia may be stupid hot, but she's no Megan Fox...
    /hijack
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    She's hot even with your eyes closed.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Is this why Billy Joel got rid of Christie Brinkley?

Keep your 06 STi. It's still a "super-model"
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Is this why Billy Joel got rid of Christie Brinkley?
    No, the second line of my sig is probably the reason why.
    -Albert Einstein

-Ronald Reagan

Bear in mind that BMWs are expensive as **** to modify, and you have one of the largest/greatest aftermarket product bases available for your current car.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

A modded STi should'ved smoked a stock 335i.

Are you actually putting out as much as you should be?

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    No, the second line of my sig is probably the reason why.
    true, true...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukotsusei View Post
    A modded STi should'ved smoked a stock 335i.

Are you actually putting out as much as you should be?
    Beat depending on situations, yes. Smoked? Not as much as you think. They are fast and powerful cars with killer high end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    true, true...
    +1

girls and their sh*t
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.