Subaru WRX Forum banner

stage 2 06 rex vs 400hp beast. GTO!!!

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  4valvemach 
#1 ·
did about 3 pulls. .

1st pull went from about a 35mph 3 honk routine. I instantly pull about 1 1/2 car lengths and hold it til about 90. end result: i win!

2nd run went from about a 40mph roll. ( Woot this was a prime spot in my powerband ) 3 honks and i pull about 2 cars by then end of 2nd, followed by a perfect shift to 3rd. But i think he missed 3 so i shut it down around 70 seeing that it looked liked he slowed down. And i knew he missed a gear because i was about 3 bus lengths in front of him. end result: incomplete. :(

3rd run we went from like 25 mph roll and i was in 2nd gear GRRR! So on 3 honks he pulls instantly about 1 1/2 car lengths on me. (Damn NA motors!!) And we shut and he holds his lead till about 90 then its obvious he starts to gradually pull a bit harder than me and the gap was about 2 1/2 car lengths at about 100 then we shut it down. end result: i lost

Overall im pretty sure if it were from a role going from any speed to 100mph+ he'd walk me pretty bad. But in the 0-90mph area i think ill always have about a 1-2 car lead.

Potential Variables explaining outcome: He had his GF in the car looked like she weighed about 115lbs. He looked like he weighted about 170lbs. And he seemed to not be the best in the world at shifting.

On the other hand i did have about 40lbs of work equipment in my trunk. But im really good at shifting 2-4. And i weight about 150lbs.

thats all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey.. Looks like overall you did pretty good up against the GTO!! I bet that if you had a larger turbo you would have owned him!!! Those cars must weigh a rediculous amount too!!! Atleast you got him on the first pull though!!:cool:

#10 · (Edited)
i was very surprised at the outcome myself, but thats what happened. The man told me he had 400hp and that his car was stock. He seemed really dense though. He told me if i super charged my car that id get 440hp. I was like ok...um..cool!!!

But i could tell he was not a good driver, because he slammed gears a lot. Also everytime his car would shift, it bucked about 2-3 times before i heard his rpm's climing. And he had and extra 150 lbs of weight in his car than me. But i will admit his top end would destroy my top end.

#5 ·
which gto was it ?

#9 ·
I've had virtually the same outcome...my car is an 06 protuned stage two running 13 flat at about 102 mph in the 1/4,stock turbo..only been to the strip twice..positive it has a 12.8-12.9 in it with a better launch

a few of my friends have gto's 5.7 and 6.0 l versions, all manual...

anything up until 100 I'm ahead of them from a roll...anything past 100 it is painfully obvious how much top end WRX's do not have...on the highway the LS* motors really shine and will keep pulling well over 100 mph...Weight is probably there biggest disadvantage...

Now I don't ever take my car past 100 mph these days or really above 80 for that matter but when I was a little younger and a bit more invincible I raced my buddy's LT1 z28 and walked him pretty bad to about 130..so the older LT motors don't have the top end of the magnificent LS series motors...just food for thought...but throw mods at either of the two motors and things quickly change..

I've seen a cammed and chiped LT with bolt ons running low 11's on street tires...they have mucho potential...as well as I remeber a friend with an LS1 SS Camaro with all the bolt ons running a 10.8 with MT's and on another occasion scaring the living hell out of me taking his car up to 175+ mph with me in the passenger seat on a long long empty stretch of road..Scary how absolutley stable and planted the car felt at that speed.. the boken lines start becoming solid at that point.

Point is those motors are bad and I have contemplated many times getting an F-body with an Ls as a project car...quick cheap fun...

now if you wanna go to the twisties I will absolutely obliterate the GTO through the turns..then again I'm an ok drive according to most so you could probably give me a ford festiva and I'd loose most people through the twisties...its where I shine :p

#11 ·
^^^ yeah, sounds like the goat needed the driver mod.

I have both cars and no way my WRX (when it was Cobb Stg 2) would beat my LS2 GTO (when it was stock) from a roll.

I don't think I could even do it now w/ the STi turbo.

So it sounds like you are the better driver...

#14 ·
i cant stand these threads about will my car beat x car. they are so stupid.

sorry to mislead anyone.Altough i really think it was just a drivers race, and i barley beat him. But i do believe with the stage 2 06-08 wrx having 340 tq would pull about 2 car lengths right after the 3rd honk from any roll race from 40 to about 90 with a GTO, due to its lighter weight and crazy amount of tq.

#18 ·
I have a 06 GTO auto and WRX recently. With stock crap tires and with a predator w GTO on a good run I trap 106mph at 13.0. With decent tires I'll be in the 12's easily as my current 60' are around 2.1. The weak point on a GTO auto is 40mph roll. I'm shocked that the wrx could pull on a gto from a roll where the LS2 shines. I guess stranger things happen though.
I suggest the GTO was a manual with a limited experience or perhaps the GTO was heat soaked. Either way if you did it so be it.

Oh, and for those that think the auto is slower than the manual in the quarter mile. Your wrong.
From a roll....yes but only 40 plus in my experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.