STI vs 135i?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs 135i? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've never really looked a bimmers because, well for one, they are really expensive. However, I know they are amazing ...

STI vs 135i?

I've never really looked a bimmers because, well for one, they are really expensive. However, I know they are amazing to drive (my dad has an '02 M5) and have recently been considering selling my '06 WRX and getting a '04 or '05 M3. Then... the mags started testing the new BMW 135i:

Base price: a little under $36,000
    0-60: 4.7
    1/4 mile: 13.3 @ 106mph
    RWD

The STI has always been one of the best "bang for the buck" cars out there, but now it seems that one of the MOST unlikely companies (BMW) has perhaps even outdone Subaru! Plus, you get a longer warranty (4/50) and free maintenance for 4yrs/50k. I was just wondering what some of the other WRX/STI enthusiasts thought of this new baby bimmer??
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Nice car that 135 is but a tuner car it is not, they have been blowing them up trying to turn up the boost

if your happy with the stock power level the BMW is a good choice.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

The 135 is a beautiful car and it is BMW's attempt to jump into the small compact market (well not an attempt, the 3 series has been doing that forever, but at a bit more expensive price). So they are trying to sell to a not-so-rich crowd with the 1 series. The car has a TON to offer, but its still supposed to be a BMW and the ultimate driving machine, as is.

I'm sure once its in the market for awhile, people will figure out how to up the boost a bit more. I'm sure they've been trying to slap on MBCs and see what will happen, that or raising the initial TQ which will destroy the smaller of the turbos. I imagine Dinan and ACS will have their fun playing with this engine and getting the most they can out of it, its just gonna be uber-expensive to upgrade.

The 135 is built with the twin turbos, but they aren't the same. One is a bit smaller to get the low end going so it spools up quickly. Then once that start running out of steam, the second turbo will pick up and spool nicely in the lower to mid 3k rpms.

Overall...I love them, but as for raw performance, a BMW is an enthusiast's car where as the STI is just a balls to the wall performance monster. Performancewise, the STI is a value and more versatile, but overall, the BMW will probably be the better value in sense of a daily driver
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I love the 135i and with that being priced nearly indentically to the STI there is no reason to even consider the STI... at least for me.

The 135i matches the STI in performance, but with a better warranty, better break feel, and better handling characteristics. Not to mention the interior thing.

Both are great cars, but for the same money the 135i would be my choice.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

[QUOTE=Both are great cars, but for the same money the 135i would be my choice.[/QUOTE]

+1. I have always wanted a BMW. I don't think I'd miss the jerky throttle response on my 06 WRX nor the low-rent interior. But in usual BMW fashion, the dealers always order ones with tons of options and a high sticker price.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    +1. I have always wanted a BMW. I don't think I'd miss the jerky throttle response on my 06 WRX nor the low-rent interior. But in usual BMW fashion, the dealers always order ones with tons of options and a high sticker price.
    Well, a fully optioned STI is going to run you $41k anyways... so it can't be that big of a difference in the end.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

true. The 1 is definitely tempting me. No way I can get it any time soon, (no money and wife would hang me)

my next car is a 135i. Subaru doesnt even compare to the bimmer...
    Cobb Stage 2

DUB
    But in usual BMW fashion, the dealers always order ones with tons of options and a high sticker price.
    Just custom order one with whatever you want. I never understood why people settle for what is on the lot if its not what they really want. 6 weeks isnt too long to wait for your perfect car?

thats true, it just seems like they give you a better deal on something thats been sitting on the lot for a while.

DUB
    thats true, it just seems like they give you a better deal on something thats been sitting on the lot for a while.
    True, there's no wheelin' and dealin' on a custom order.

I was in the same price range as you looking at many of the same cars. You've got quite a few nice options in that range Can't really go wrong with any of them, it's all what you want though.

I actually went to talk to a salesman at the Bimmer dealer about the 135 last fall. I'd love to have one badly as well, however one thing all of you have to consider. These cars are already on a waiting list. Guess what that means; you won't be getting them for the price you guys listed above, at least for a while. And if you do, let me know so I can give you kudos.
    So, that right there puts it out of the price range of the STi. In addition, since they are supposed to be releasing them in the spring, BMW has actually made more convertibles than coupes. So you'll have the choice of a convertible, which will be more readily available, but naturallly more expensive than the coupe, OR the coupe which will be harder to get and thus, will make them more expensive. Remember the markup on the Miatas when they came out? How about the Viper? The Mini Cooper?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Nat
    Until it comes with AWD I won't even consider the BMW. It'd be totally handicapped during the winter.

not sure if the 135 comes in the Xi(AWD) version . .

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.