STI vs 135i? - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs 135i? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones You know, for the first 100 years cars existed, almost every single one was RWD and ...

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You know, for the first 100 years cars existed, almost every single one was RWD and people drove them in the snow just fine. It's not the car that's the problem, it's the driver.
    I grew up in Colorado with RWD cars and I remember having to chain up a lot. Even then, I'd still have to get out and push the car while my dad rocked it back and forth trying to get unstuck.

Now in Oregon, if the passes are covered in snow and the chain law is in effect (happens often), you can either drive your AWD with snowflake/mountain emblem tires just fine or you can get out, chain up, creep over the pass at 25mph, and hope you don't lose your chains somewhere along the way. Sometimes the chains loosen up and beat the snot out of your car too. No thanks.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Yeah, maybe if you live in Canadia or or a cold mountainous region. For the rest of the 99.9% of us living in areas that don't have continual snow for days on end and have cell phones that can call a relative or police to pick you up when stranded any type of platform is fine... AWD is just a luxury.
    Do you guys remember this story from a couple of years ago? This family had an AWD, a cell phone, searchers, and the dad still died. Technology can't always make up for bad choices, hey?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/we.../10basics.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Do you guys remember this story from a couple of years ago? This family had an AWD, a cell phone, searchers, and the dad still died. Technology can't always make up for bad choices, hey?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/we.../10basics.html
    I guess you didn't read my post, huh?

It's one thing if you're driving through the rockies in winter, northern canada, or somewhere along the portland/washington mountains..... but for the rest of us (most of the entire country) AWD is a luxury and NOT necessity.

I love my awd, but I don't require it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar

It's one thing if you're driving through the rockies in winter, northern canada, or somewhere along the portland/washington mountains..... but for the rest of us (most of the entire country) AWD is a luxury and NOT necessity.

funny but chicago is one of the cities where people die in storms even today, i was talking about back in the day because that is what teflon referenced. Pre cell phones when a storm comes in cars got stuck...
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Nat

I wasn't responding to your post specifically; I was bringing up that story from 2006 since it pertains to the conversation.

Sounds just fine to me.
    Darwinism thinning out the herd ftw!
    its fine they die, i agree, but the FACT would remain that they died because their car got stuck....

and that means the cars didn't handle the Snow "JUST FINE"....
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

AWD is nice to have in Chicago, but I got by with a RWD Miata for 7 years somehow. They usually go insane with the salt even before the snow starts. I hate that salt. Takes the adventure out of life.

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    AWD is nice to have in Chicago, but I got by with a RWD Miata for 7 years somehow. They usually go insane with the salt even before the snow starts. I hate that salt. Takes the adventure out of life.
    I do see some RWD cars during the winter here, so they can get around but they're typically nursing their way along on the ice or they're chained up. Or piled up into something. I'd estimate at least 75% of the cars on the streets during winter are AWD or 4WD though, as it gets exceptionally slick here. It's fairly hilly too so a lot of the AWD's even use studded snows on all fours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I do see some RWD cars during the winter here, so they can get around but they're typically nursing their way along on the ice or they're chained up. Or piled up into something. I'd estimate at least 75% of the cars on the streets during winter are AWD or 4WD though, as it gets exceptionally slick here. It's fairly hilly too so a lot of the AWD's even use studded snows on all fours.
    Yea, I can imagine the hills would REALLY make a difference. There are barely any hills in Chicago.

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    Yea, I can imagine the hills would REALLY make a difference. There are barely any hills in Chicago.
    Yeah, I have in-laws in Chicago. They're very mid-western.

Speaking of Chicago, I recently finished this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Gang-Leader-Da.../dp/1594201501

The author spent several years moving among one of the larger gangs in one of the Projects in Chicago. Fairly interesting stuff. Anyone else read it?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    funny but chicago is one of the cities where people die in storms even today, i was talking about back in the day because that is what teflon referenced. Pre cell phones when a storm comes in cars got stuck...
    I don't deny it. But of the very small amount of people that die in a snow storm in Chicago because their car got stuck, how many would have been able to get "unstuck" with awd.

You guys seem to be missing my point. I've owned RWD, FWD, and AWD. I don't dismiss the ability of AWD (I bought a Subaru for a reason) but some of you make it seem as if AWD saves lives in winter everywhere and it's stupid not to have it.
    Sure it helps... in some situations it helps a lot and very well "might" mean the different between being stuck and not being stuck, but 99.99% of the time it doesn't create life/death scenarios and people have gotten by just fine for a long-long time without awd.

I will say it again.... Unless you live on the side of a mountain or an especially snowy/dangerous area awd is simply a luxury and NOT a necessity.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I'm not missing any point, i simply don't think people drove in the snow just fine with the cars of the 70s. i am getting pulled into a different disagreement i am not talking about any mountains.

also the salt can run out...It did in cleveland last week...

im out....

Nat
    I don't deny it. But of the very small amount of people that die in a snow storm in Chicago because their car got stuck, how many would have been able to get "unstuck" with awd.

You guys seem to be missing my point. I've owned RWD, FWD, and AWD. I don't dismiss the ability of AWD (I bought a Subaru for a reason) but some of you make it seem as if AWD saves lives in winter everywhere and it's stupid not to have it.
    Sure it helps... in some situations it helps a lot and very well "might" mean the different between being stuck and not being stuck, but 99.99% of the time it doesn't create life/death scenarios and people have gotten by just fine for a long-long time without awd.

I will say it again.... Unless you live on the side of a mountain or an especially snowy/dangerous area awd is simply a luxury and NOT a necessity.
    I used the term "handicapped."

See:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Until it comes with AWD I won't even consider the BMW. It'd be totally handicapped during the winter.
    People dying is an extreme scenario. People getting into fender-benders might be more worthwhile to look at.

Even spinning out on ice at an intersection with RWD and needing a push from others to get going is worth considering the benefits of AWD. In that case no one dies, no one spends the night out in the cold, but you f-up traffic for a bit and need people to jump out of their own car to push you. What a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    I'm not missing any point, i simply don't think people drove in the snow just fine with the cars of the 70s. i am getting pulled into a different disagreement i am not talking about any mountains.

also the salt can run out...It did in cleveland last week...

im out....
    Chicago ran out last week too.

We have been borrowing from Milwaukee all week.

I didn't live during the 70's so I can't make an accurate assessment of that claim. So until I can talk to a few older people, I digress.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.