STI vs 135i? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

This is a discussion on STI vs 135i? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BrianH not sure if the 135 comes in the Xi(AWD) version . . not for this year, ...

  1. #16
    Registered User roo21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    not sure if the 135 comes in the Xi(AWD) version . .
    not for this year, but there are rumors flying around about an xi version for next year. THey did the same thing with the 335i as well (making an xi option after a year).
    Cobb Stage 2

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17

  4. #18
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    I am going to make an attempt to run my wrx into the ground, but assuming I was in the market for a new car and could work a ~ $40k price tag the 135i would undoubtably be my choice.
    Or perhaps a very slightly used 335xi. These cars are sick.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  5. #19
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Registered User Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I am going to make an attempt to run my wrx into the ground, but assuming I was in the market for a new car and could work a ~ $40k price tag the 135i would undoubtably be my choice.
    Or perhaps a very slightly used 335xi. These cars are sick.
    Well, I tell ya', I took an extended test drive of a 335xi and was underwhelmed. It definitely had a nicer interior but it did nothing for me in the way of excitement. It was fast and smooth, but did not give me the sensation that it was fast. It was just a nice, fancy sedan. What was the final deciding factor against it (and my wife had been very interested in buying it) was when she noted that from the rear the car resembled the Honda Civic we used to have. That put the nail in the coffin. In comparison the WRX feels like a massively-powered go-kart.

    BMW for show. WRX for go.

  6. #20
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Well, I tell ya', I took an extended test drive of a 335xi and was underwhelmed. It definitely had a nicer interior but it did nothing for me in the way of excitement. It was fast and smooth, but did not give me the sensation that it was fast. It was just a nice, fancy sedan. What was the final deciding factor against it (and my wife had been very interested in buying it) was when she noted that from the rear the car resembled the Honda Civic we used to have. That put the nail in the coffin. In comparison the WRX feels like a massively-powered go-kart.

    BMW for show. WRX for go.
    The Bimmer is considerably faster than the wrx.

    The wrx is incredibly deceiving in its power because 75% of all its torque and horsepower hits you like a baseball bat at 4,000 rpm's so it feels like the car is a lot faster than it is.

    Not even a stage2 wrx could take a 335. I get what you're saying about being less fun and all, but saying the bimmer is for show and the wrx is for go is nonsense.

    The 335 is faster than a stock and stage2 wrx, runs even with a stock sti and with a simple ecu upgrade will run with a stage2 sti.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  7. #21
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Registered User Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    The Bimmer is considerably faster than the wrx.

    The wrx is incredibly deceiving in its power because 75% of all its torque and horsepower hits you like a baseball bat at 4,000 rpm's so it feels like the car is a lot faster than it is.

    Not even a stage2 wrx could take a 335. I get what you're saying about being less fun and all, but saying the bimmer is for show and the wrx is for go is nonsense.

    The 335 is faster than a stock and stage2 wrx, runs even with a stock sti and with a simple ecu upgrade will run with a stage2 sti.
    No question about the 335xi being fast. I could see the trees whipping by as I floored it, but other than that and the speedometer saying 75, I could not tell I was going faster than 45mph. I took it on one of my favorite twisty country road loops and was actually bored. It was very smooth and quiet. It felt like a commute, and I was ready to return the car. In contrast, in my WRX on that same loop I get sound and fury that makes my arms tingle and my legs go light. I get the rumble, surge, whine, and wind noise.

    I do not race in any way, shape, or form, so objective speed means very little to me. The sensation of speed is what I'm after. For instance, 600mph in a Boeing 737 is as boring as can be. 35mph on a skateboard is much more than I can handle. The BMW is quiet and sedate. The WRX is loud and visceral.

    What I meant by "BMW for show" is that it's for looking good to others. It's a show-off car. It's meant to impress [insert trophy wife analogy].

    The WRX is for feeling good for myself. It's kind of ugly but fun as hell. It impresses hardly anyone other than the driver [insert plain-Jane life Partner wife analogy].

    Edit: As stable and well-mannered as the BMW was, I wonder if they become thrilling at Autobahn or Nurburgring speeds? I think they were probably designed for that environment. Too bad here in the States it's rare that one can drive 'Ring style for long without risk of going to jail or killing someone.
    Last edited by Nat; 02-24-2008 at 07:07 PM.

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    No question about the 335xi being fast. I could see the trees whipping by as I floored it, but other than that and the speedometer saying 75, I could not tell I was going faster than 45mph. I took it on one of my favorite twisty country road loops and was actually bored. It was very smooth and quiet. It felt like a commute, and I was ready to return the car. In contrast, in my WRX on that same loop I get sound and fury that makes my arms tingle and my legs go light. I get the rumble, surge, whine, and wind noise.

    I do not race in any way, shape, or form, so objective speed means very little to me. The sensation of speed is what I'm after. For instance, 600mph in a Boeing 737 is as boring as can be. 35mph on a skateboard is much more than I can handle. The BMW is quiet and sedate. The WRX is loud and visceral.

    What I meant by "BMW for show" is that it's for looking good to others. It's a show-off car. It's meant to impress [insert trophy wife analogy].

    The WRX is for feeling good for myself. It's kind of ugly but fun as hell. It impresses hardly anyone other than the driver [insert plain-Jane life Partner wife analogy].

    Edit: As stable and well-mannered as the BMW was, I wonder if they become thrilling at Autobahn or Nurburgring speeds? I think they were probably designed for that environment. Too bad here in the States it's rare that one can drive 'Ring style for long without risk of going to jail or killing someone.
    I would agree with SOME of your comments. The BMWs are certainly quieter, more stable, and generally "nicer feeling" cars. If that makes them "boring", that's your opinion (maybe the 335xi's limits are so much higher than the Rex's that it just felt that way). I can also really appreciate the more visceral experience of the WRX (which is not nearly as aggressive as the integra R I used to own...), but sometimes the WRX just feels cheap (which, it pretty much is). Going 80mph on the interstate into a headwind produces ridiculous wind noise. That's ok though, because I bought a $25k car, not a $38k one (if I had an STi, it'd be harder to make that argument).

    Saying that a BMW "is for show" is obviously a completely generic and in many cases false statement. Sure there are people that buy M3s to impress their "trophy wives" (more likely, potential trophy wives), but there are probably just as many "auto enthusiasts", if not more, that drive M cars as drive subarus. I mean, if someone just wants a pretty car to impress the ladies for $60k, a 3-series on steriod probably isn't their first choice...

  9. #23
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Until it comes with AWD I won't even consider the BMW. It'd be totally handicapped during the winter.
    You know, for the first 100 years cars existed, almost every single one was RWD and people drove them in the snow just fine. It's not the car that's the problem, it's the driver.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  10. #24
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Registered User Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by mrturbo16v View Post
    I would agree with SOME of your comments. The BMWs are certainly quieter, more stable, and generally "nicer feeling" cars. If that makes them "boring", that's your opinion (maybe the 335xi's limits are so much higher than the Rex's that it just felt that way). I can also really appreciate the more visceral experience of the WRX (which is not nearly as aggressive as the integra R I used to own...), but sometimes the WRX just feels cheap (which, it pretty much is). Going 80mph on the interstate into a headwind produces ridiculous wind noise. That's ok though, because I bought a $25k car, not a $38k one (if I had an STi, it'd be harder to make that argument).

    Saying that a BMW "is for show" is obviously a completely generic and in many cases false statement. Sure there are people that buy M3s to impress their "trophy wives" (more likely, potential trophy wives), but there are probably just as many "auto enthusiasts", if not more, that drive M cars as drive subarus. I mean, if someone just wants a pretty car to impress the ladies for $60k, a 3-series on steriod probably isn't their first choice...
    Come to think of it, the two 335xi's that I drove were auto tranny. I bet that had a lot to do with the sedation.

    Besides, aren't all BMW drivers trying to compensate for something? Settle down, it's a joke...

  11. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You know, for the first 100 years cars existed, almost every single one was RWD and people drove them in the snow just fine. It's not the car that's the problem, it's the driver.
    People just didnt venture out. There wasnt this "me society" that we live in and the urge to get everything right now.......remember bread, milk, TP....because you'd bunker down for a day or so until it cleared.


    I will agree that for most a decent RWD car with snow tires and some weight in the back with a semi decent driver can be driven in most areas.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  12. #26
    Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz New Mexico
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You know, for the first 100 years cars existed, almost every single one was RWD and people drove them in the snow just fine. It's not the car that's the problem, it's the driver.
    People used to get stuck on highways in storms for days at a time, it was common occurrence for people to die in their cars from freezing during storms...

    "Just fine" is your assumption??
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

  13. #27
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,789
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    People used to get stuck on highways in storms for days at a time, it was common occurrence for people to die in their cars from freezing during storms...

    "Just fine" is your assumption??
    Sounds just fine to me.
    Darwinism thinning out the herd ftw!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calabasas ca
    Posts
    13
    i was considering getting a 135 as well but i ended up getting the 08 wrx sedan. bmw says under 36 but i hear you wont be able to pick one up for anything under 38. get the sti you will get way more for your money.

  15. #29
    Registered User mike05STi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamyar12 View Post
    i was considering getting a 135 as well but i ended up getting the 08 wrx sedan. bmw says under 36 but i hear you wont be able to pick one up for anything under 38. get the sti you will get way more for your money.
    If you can get a 135i for the sticker price anytime within 6 months of them coming out, let me know and I will congratulate you. They are already on a waiting list. The BMW salesman even asked if I wanted to put down a deposit on one when I went to talk to them about trading the STi in on one.
    There will be dealer markups.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

    Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

  16. #30
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    People used to get stuck on highways in storms for days at a time, it was common occurrence for people to die in their cars from freezing during storms...

    "Just fine" is your assumption??

    Yeah, maybe if you live in Canadia or or a cold mountainous region. For the rest of the 99.9% of us living in areas that don't have continual snow for days on end and have cell phones that can call a relative or police to pick you up when stranded any type of platform is fine... AWD is just a luxury.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •